jobs how do you look now??

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

caveman

Reaction score
I am a construction worker and i am not up on all this new job looking.
I do know it is hard to get a job now no mater what it is.

In my day you had to hit the pavement to get a job?
The reason i ask is i have step son that is mid 20's and he only wants to look at jobs online and play games all day.
As he is my step son to keep the peace .I do what is needed.LABOR is good but a collage degree is also good but
for the cash and not having one i don't do bad .At 44.............

I am asking do you have to hit the pavement now days to get a job or just on line????????????/

Jim
That is what i always here. and just call me old school but i do not see how this works.

MIKE

Just from what I've seen my daughters do, and know that some of my students have done, is they have applied for jobs on-line for Walmart and Lowe's. I think Lowe's has a computer in the store that applicants use. Still some businesses around here that take the old-fashioned paper applications, but we're a small town.

Online and stuff is a start - but nothing beats the personal touch - HIT THE PAVEMENT and follow up online.

Heck, you never know what you get on the web.

Also, good old snail mail letters and resumes are hard to beat and not as easy to discard as a "delete" key allows with electronic communication.

Some of the old ways are still the best.

Yes HD/ Lowes has that but in my line of work as i am a sparky how do you ask some one if they will hold on to 277/480 v and did they teach
you that in school???????????????
just being a smart a

I AM just a old school (omg like my dad) .

Captain Ahab said:
Online and stuff is a start - but nothing beats the personal touch - HIT THE PAVEMENT and follow up online.

Heck, you never know what you get on the web.

Also, good old snail mail letters and resumes are hard to beat and not as easy to discard as a "delete" key allows with electronic communication.

Some of the old ways are still the best.

100%

Agree with Cap'n on the tried & true method of hitting the pavement, and using resume's to get interviews. I'm thinking that in in the construction/skills trades an employer would want a face-to-face interview, and not rely on an electronic application.

Nothing says you are going to be a good worker like showing up at the location. At least here in Philly I am sure every place of employment gets hundreds, maybe even thousands of online and electronic applications. Showing up and asking to speak to the manager about your application to me would be a sure fire way to get your name noticed in the long list of applicants.

I don't know your stepson, and am not directing this toward him, but I think the reason many people don't get a job is beacuse they won't get up and stand out. Which in reality, as one who would be looking to hire.... why would you want someone like that?

bAcKpAiN said:
Nothing says you are going to be a good worker like showing up at the location. At least here in Philly I am sure every place of employment gets hundreds, maybe even thousands of online and electronic applications. Showing up and asking to speak to the manager about your application to me would be a sure fire way to get your name noticed in the long list of applicants.

I don't know your stepson, and am not directing this toward him, but I think the reason many people don't get a job is beacuse they won't get up and stand out. Which in reality, as one who would be looking to hire.... why would you want someone like that?

I think anything you can do to stand out is the best approach. However, a lot of employers use on-line posting exclusively. It's what you do after you application/resume submission that gets you hired. Personal hand written thank you cards go a long way. Calling to check up on your application goes a really long way, and finally I always go back to the old quote, "It's not what you know, its who you know".

You have to be actively networking with all your friends, former colleagues, and professional associations. Right now this is the only way to get hired. The number of applications recieved for even the most simple jobs is at an all time high as people are doing anything to become employed.

Go the extra mile everytime or you really have no chance. There is always someone out there that wants the job more, remember that and you'll be ok.

I am a 32 year old college graduate and this is what I see in the employment environment.

As you know, I just went through this ugly mess. It is tough out there, I do have to say there are a lot of companies out there that the only way they will accept apps and resumes is online. But at the same time, I do feel that there needs to be some of that face to face time. If I were a company owner, I would rather see the person first off. see how they walk in to the shop, how they present themselves on a personal level. You can hide so much with a online app or emailing a resume.

The job I got yesterday I found through military assistance at the GA Department of Labor. I was directed to FAX my resume and cover letter. It did take about 3 weeks for them to call me in, but I gather they wanted to give all a chance to get a resume in that wanted too.

All the jobs that I applied for through Monster and Career Builder, I never got a single bite to be honest. I even followed their directions on how to correct my resume "which both gave me entirely different advise" and to be honest, it was my original Resume that I used with this company to get the job. Not the one that either Monster or CB told me to write.

In today’s world, I think it is a toss up on how you do things, but I do still believe in the Personal touch because it shows you have nothing to hide and that you are serious about the position. Just my .02

I'm just glad that my wife is back to work. She's got a degree, did all the college, and had a job for two years at Synergis tool and die as their graphics designer and also a die designer. Well low and behold the company went belly up!!! She couldn't buy a job for almost a year!!! Even with commercial experience and a degree. Then she got a bite, got an iterview and got a call back for something she had never done before. They wanted her to come in for a day and work at the said job. They were not going off of peoples credentials but instead if you were competent and could actually perform and walk the walk. She got called back two days later and got the job. :) All in all I wish that this is how all buisness was run, you can have the job if you are the best at performing the job.

caveman said:
I am a construction worker and i am not up on all this new job looking.
I do know it is hard to get a job now no mater what it is.

In my day you had to hit the pavement to get a job?
The reason i ask is i have step son that is mid 20's and he only wants to look at jobs online and play games all day.
As he is my step son to keep the peace .I do what is needed.LABOR is good but a collage degree is also good but
for the cash and not having one i don't do bad .At 44.............

I am asking do you have to hit the pavement now days to get a job or just on line????????????/

sorry, I was kinda off the question at hand... I am also in the construction industry, and beleive its still a go out and get it world!!!

I hire people, plenty of them, ( fire a lot of them too unfortunatly) I run a dining service business, I rarely have to put an add, people stop by at the reception, fill in resumes all the time, I go thru that first, found some real gems over the years. Kids today unfortunately have the attention span of a moskito... lot of them spoiled at home, not understanding that 50K usually starts by making 25K, if you come out of High School, College is worth, unless you have a masters, you have a hard time getting hired at what they told you you are worth, too many smart ones out there., Thats just me, I have hired people for 25 years. real work is beneath a lot of kids, but not beneath a foreign worker..... thats a problem. Check out California, its almost Spanish again. You leave College at 22, not knowing what to do? my father would have wipped back to reality real quick!

This is my point
1) no bills( just phone,car ins)
2)no rent (Mortgage)
3)car payed for

If he wanted to work and had any drive in life He would .not just putting in online .

just venting about this as the last time i gave him the BOOT,that didn't go over well for home life.
I JUST DON'T UNDERSTAND young people these days.
My self i worked on the farm,in the marines at 17 out at 21 ,and have never know anything but work and i do not make much but i work for what i have.
If someone wants to work then u can find somethang it my not be what u want but it is cash.............

Latest posts