I'm just curious...

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm a little disappointed in the fact that, besides myself, only one member has read the novel. I've got to say, especially living in the situation we are currently living in, there isn't a more relevant, well worth the time, novel in existence.

Brief synopsis of it here.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atlas_Shrugged

Without turning this thread political (the book, while dealing with the government, isn't political in nature), the happenings in this novel are have an eerie semblance to the current happenings in the economy. It has been said on numerous occasions that if all the representatives in the government (again, not talking about any one party or another), as well as many in certain industries, were required to read this, much of the mess we are in wouldn't exist.

I challenge anyone willing to take it on to do a little more research on the novel, and maybe commit to reading it. While it is well over 1200 pages, I can personally vouch for the fact that if you have any concern as to capitalism, it is WELL worth the time.

Nope, I haven't read it. I can honestly say, that having been in the classroom teaching for 14 yrs now, the last thing I want to do in my off-time is read something lengthy. I seek other avenues of relaxation. Nothing wrong with reading though, and it is highly encouraged.

Maybe when I retire in two years I'll pickup a good book and give it a go :)

I read the book about 20 years ago when I found it in my Dad's collection and commented....That's the longest book I've ever seen. He suggested I read it (I was 17 at the time), which I did and it took me about 4 months #-o to read.

I read the Cliff Notes back in '66 and got a C on the test. [-X

Don't remember a **** thing about the story, but checked it out and learned more in 5 minutes on the internet than I did when I had to read the book. :LOL2:

There's a good synopsis of the storyline here.

I read it many years ago and, yes, it has an eerie similarity to the situation we find ourselves in now. As history goes, it seems as if we are doomed to repeat it.

BassAddict said:
Well finally Hollywood to the rescue, My weekend plans include watching the movie!! :lol: :lol:

Well for once, the movie is actually quite indicative of the book, at least part one. There are a couple cases in part two and part three of the book that I'm quite curious as to how the movie will do, when they end up releasing those.

Real funny that this thread just got brought up. I just so happen to be rereading the book as we speak.

Makes me wonder........
As liberal-minded as most of Hollywood seems to be - How are they going to tell a story with such a conservative message ?

fender66 said:
BassAddict said:
Well finally Hollywood to the rescue, My weekend plans include watching the movie!! :lol: :lol:

What's that I hear????

MOVIE NIGHT? I'll bring the popcorn! :wink:

Nope movie mornings if I wait for movie night after 5 minutes all I want to do is go to sleep

Part 1 was fantastic, dont think I can wait for part 2 and so on, might just have to bite the bullet on this one and download the book.

Latest posts