The 2010 Official Vegetable Garden thread!

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jim

TinBoats Supporter
Reaction score
Let the games begin!

I started some Vegetable indoor today.

So far I planted Cherry peppers, Red and yellow Marconi peppers (from Italy), some Cukes and Zucchini.

The rest I will buy as little plants.

What are you guys doing this year?

Hope to get ours planted sometime around the 1st week in May. Gosh I miss the big garden (think a couple hundred feet a few hundred feet) we had when living out in the country. A couple yrs. back, we tried a raised bed, about 4 x 25 ft, that due to the location, didn't work out to well. I've torn that one apart, and we have been clearing a new section to rebuild it (made to about 40 ft. long), as well as 2 more 4 x 30 footer right beside, with a walk path in the middle.

Probably have tomatoes, bell peppers, green beans, cucumbers, some cantaloupes, and so on. Loved having the corn way back when, but the space probably isn't going to allow.

I'll be diggin' up the garden spot, collecting troutworms as I go. Wife does the rest, while I use up the worms. She's already got squash, tomatoes, cucumbers, peppers growing from seed inthe sunroom, says she's starting peas and beans this week. Gonna be another 6 weeks before anything can go out, but, WTF, keeps her off the streets.

tomatoes, corn, okra, blackeyed peas, strawberries, cabbage, butter beans, potaotes, squash, green beans and egg plant

This is hilarious!! I just walked in from tilling my garden (almost 1/2 an acre), turned on my computer and find this thread. I have speckled butterbeans, Purple hull peas, carrots, lettuce, tomatos, 3 kinds of jalapenos, purple and vidalia onions, cucumber, red beans, watermelon, and cantaloupes. I'm going all out this year. I'm planting peanuts later on when I recoup from this round of tilling and planting.

Does anyone have any suggestions on keeping rabbits out of my garden. I'm being overrun with them. My wife doesn't want me to shoot them. They destroyed my garden last year. I leave for work at 3:30 AM :( every morning for work and there is usually 5 or 6 in the back yard and 5 or 6 more in the front yard. I have two dogs in the back yard and the rabbits will walk all around them :? . My dogs are old and to lazy to chase a rabbit!!!

go on line and do a search for fox (urine) scent, it comes in a pellet form and u sprinkle around your yard, no more bunnies. works on skunks and possums too!
Or a 4 ft chicken wire fence!

i got hit with blight last year wiped out most of the garden not sure if i should try to put 1 in this year or not sure missed the fresh veggies last year

After several years at this house I'm finally getting around to building a couple raised beds for green beans, green onions and maybe a couple zucchini squash. And of course in separate containers a couple tomatoes.

I plant about a half acre vegetable garden. I'm looking forward to eating vine ripened tomatoes, I love them. Early Girls are my favorite tomato, but Cherokee Purple is a very close second. The store-bought tomatoes taste artificial.

Last year I planted my Sweet Snow Peas (eatable pods), and my kennebec potatoes, the first week of April. The pea crop was doing great, and the potato plants were green, and reaching for the sky. In one day, darn groundhogs destroyed both crops. The only early crop the groundhogs didn't destroy, was the mustard, radishes, green onions, and leaf lettuce.

Of course I have to battle birds and coons when my Peaches & Cream corn begins to ripen.

Gardens can be a lot of work, but there's nothing better than home grown food!

I've been toying with the idea of planting a garden, but starting from ground zero as a noob....what advice can you give me?

Any websites you can recommend?

I have an area about 10 x 20 that gets full sun.

Brine said:
I've been toying with the idea of planting a garden, but starting from ground zero as a noob....what advice can you give me?

Brine,
Is it a grass area now? Tilled? Are you thinking in ground or raised beds?

Brine said:

Brine... there's nothing better than garden fresh vegetables, especially when you've grown them yourself. Like someone mentioned, the difference between store bought tomatoes and home grown is just unbelievable. I would start small for the first garden. Pick a couple things you really like to eat (because hopefully you'll have a lot of it) and start there. In someways gardening is like fishing, it can be very basic, or as technical as you want to be. There's a gazillion websites out there, see the one below I found that has some of the basic stuff, but you also have UGA up the street from you and they have an awesome horticulture program. I would imagine they have some stuff on the web that is specific to our crappy Georgia clay. I get around the clay by building raised beds and bringing in good dirt.

Go for it man!

https://www.thegardenhelper.com/vegetables.html

Jim, I have an area where someone had planted sorghum (the deer love it), but it is gone now. The soil seems fertile, but typically the clay here is no fun for planting. I'm thinking I'd like to make a raised bed.

Poolie, that sounds good. I'll check out the site, and keep you guys posted. If I build gardens like I mod jon boats, I should have some veggies around 2013. #-o

Brine said:
Jim, I have an area where someone had planted sorghum (the deer love it), but it is gone now. The soil seems fertile, but typically the clay here is no fun for planting. I'm thinking I'd like to make a raised bed.

Poolie, that sounds good. I'll check out the site, and keep you guys posted. If I build gardens like I mod jon boats, I should have some veggies around 2013. #-o

Hah! One note about raised beds, and I've heard people say this doesn't matter others say it does, but if you use pressure treated wood, line the bed (at least the sides where the dirt touches the wood) with plastic. The chemicals from the wood can leach into the dirt, then into the plant. Cedar is best choice, but is obviously more expensive in Atlanta and a little had to come by around here. A roll of plastic is pretty cheap.

Brine said:

I have a book that got us started years ago. Just did a search, and the author has a website: https://www.squarefootgardening.com/. I don't know if it has all the information that is in the book, but it's worth a try.

Latest posts