broken rod

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FishingCop

Reaction score
Well, I snapped a rod yesterday when out with my wife for the first time this year (see fishing reports). I got it at Cabella's last summer for my wife - Model Gold Label, GLC6042, 6', Med, 8-17 lb, casting rod. I put an Abu Garcia Abumatic spin-caster on it - it was basically for her use when we are trolling - had 12lb test mono on it.

here it is: https://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/links/link.jsp?id=0066933123917a&type=product&cmCat=SEARCH_all&returnPage=search-results1.jsp&Ntt=gold+label+6042&Ntk=Product_liberal&sort=all&Go.y=15&N=0&Nty=1&hasJS=true&_dyncharset=ISO-8859-1&_DARGS=%2Fcabelas%2Fen%2Fcommon%2Fsearch%2Fsearch-box.jsp.form1&Go.x=20

Broke right in half when I reared back on a snag :? Couldn't believe it snapped - never broke a rod before??? So...

I doubt I can find a receipt, but I hear Cabella's is pretty good with customer service, etc. Think I could take it back (in two pieces) and get any satisfaction from them????

Captain Ahab said:
Try and take it back - write the customer service department 1st

And that is called user error :mrgreen:

Gee thanks Capt., no one else would have known if you didn't mention it :lol:

hossthehermit said:
So, how'd ya make out? Don't leave us hangin' on this. If they won't take it back, there's always duct tape.

It will be a couple weeks before I take it back, I have two boat covers I bought on special sale, I need to see which one fits best and take the other one back (90 day return policy) With the trolling motor up front and windshields, I didn't know if the 16.5' or the 17.5' would fit best so I bought them both ($99 each, reg $379). Once I get my boat out of storage (Sat, 4-17) I'll be making the trip to Cabella's with the cover return and I'll take the rod back then.

FishingCop said:
hossthehermit said:
So, how'd ya make out? Don't leave us hangin' on this. If they won't take it back, there's always duct tape.

It will be a couple weeks before I take it back, I have two boat covers I bought on special sale, I need to see which one fits best and take the other one back (90 day return policy) With the trolling motor up front and windshields, I didn't know if the 16.5' or the 17.5' would fit best so I bought them both ($99 each, reg $379). Once I get my boat out of storage (Sat, 4-17) I'll be making the trip to Cabella's with the cover return and I'll take the rod back then.

Went on-line and chatted with a rep - she looked up the sale and said it has a 2 year warranty. She gave me the numbers, etc., to return it for cash back or exchange. I'll take it back in 2 weeks when I decide which boat cover I can't use. Now, I'm a happy Cabella's customer :D

FishingCop said:
FishingCop said:
hossthehermit said:

Went on-line and chatted with a rep - she looked up the sale and said it has a 2 year warranty. She gave me the numbers, etc., to return it for cash back or exchange. I'll take it back in 2 weeks when I decide which boat cover I can't use. Now, I'm a happy Cabella's customer :D

I will agree, they do have good customer service and warranties. I just find they are more expensive (and farther away) than BPS and Gander Mountain.

Took the rod back to Cabella's today ---- No problem with exchange, however, their computer said I only paid $29.99 when I bought it? I thought I remembered it being a $50 rod - maybe it was on sale and that's why I bought it in the first place???? It was for my wife's spincaster and mainly, for her to troll with.

Anyway, the replacement rod was the same model number, but an extra letter after the numbers. They said it was a newer upgrade and manufactured in 2010 (broken one was 2008). New one listed at $49.99. So, they exchanged it anyway, no questions, but only a 1 year warranty from the store (2 years if you buy in line?????

No complaint's about Cabella's (except I bought another $80 worth of stuff while I was there :( :):)

I hear ya. I always end up buying more before I leave.

They are more expensive on some things so I research and look at thier site alot and when it goes on sale I know if it's really a sale or not. Right now I'm looking at bimini tops and sportsman's guide is about $225 dollars cheaper for the same one. The same trailer light that were $80 at Cabela's were $40 at harbor frieght. But I have bought alot of stuff through them cheaper than other places to. Best thing is to shop around before buying something.

If you're looking at trailer lights I would recommend Eastern Marine https://shop.easternmarine.com/ Good products at a fair price and great customer service. Can't go wrong with that combination.

Latest posts