Harbor Freight Drill Press

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My nephew has the exact same one, It's a good press for the price, but as with anything else, you get what you pay for. Take your time with it, and if your drilling metal, NOTHING replaces good bits and cutting oil.

My father just bought one a couple weeks ago, and i needed to drill some holes so i promptly chucked my drill bit and turned it on! Its got ALOT of walk out. If you just piddle with it its not bad but if you need precision your probably not going to be happy

Johnny5 said:
My father just bought one a couple weeks ago, and i needed to drill some holes so i promptly chucked my drill bit and turned it on! Its got ALOT of walk out. If you just piddle with it its not bad but if you need precision your probably not going to be happy

I bought it too... seems OK... I bought their scroll saw, mini 4 inch table saw and looking at their 1 inch verticle belt sander ( it was out of stock )

My wife bought me one a coule o yeas back. It has held up very well. I would suggest getting he drill press vice as well. DO NOT USE THERE DRILL BITS! They are crap. Get you some good bits at home depot/lowes.

just a thought i have a drill press from lowes, kind of a no name brand has a dark blue top? has worked good and does not have a lot of walk on the bit.

Just my .02 here. When I go to the drill press I'm looking for unmatched quality and precision. And this drill press from Harbor Freight, (which a buddy of mine has) does not do any better than my hand drill= lots of walk.

perchin said:
Just my .02 here. When I go to the drill press I'm looking for unmatched quality and precision. And this drill press from Harbor Freight, (which a buddy of mine has) does not do any better than my hand drill= lots of walk.

That is why I like to center punch my work before drilling and then drill pilot holes before moving to the big bits. I also like sharp drill bits. I bought a Drill Doctor a couple of years back and I love it. It keeps my drills in tip top shape.

KMixson said:
perchin said:

That is why I like to center punch my work before drilling and then drill pilot holes before moving to the big bits. I also like sharp drill bits. I bought a Drill Doctor a couple of years back and I love it. It keeps my drills in tip top shape.

I almost always center punch and alway use a pilot when drilling large holes.
There should not be any walk with a drill press............ Once again they invented the drill press for precision. You get what you pay for. I don't use Harbor Frieght for power tools, although many of my tools are for woodworking, meaning I need precision. (on a further note I don't ever center punch wood. And my buddy's Drill press was walking on wood!!!! That to me is unacceptable.

Latest posts