Deck Screws

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FishingCop

Reaction score
Well, lots of posts about stainless, aluminum, zinc and other metal screws. What about deck screws? The green ones made for treated lumber - touted as lasting forever for treated decks, etc. (I used them 9 years ago on my deck and they are still good to go and none have heaved up, unscrewed, rusted, etc.) And, the deck is out in the weather year-round, rain & snow - on the bunk boards, they'll not see near the amount of moisture.

I'm gonna screw down my new HDPE (cutting board) slats onto the carpeted bunk boards. Gonna counter-sing the heads and screw them down right onto the carpet into the treated 2X4's. Any reason you can think of that I couldn't use deck screws?? Heads are counter-sunk and won't touch the bottom of the aluminum boat. As long as I watch to make sure none of then come loose (raise up above the counter-sink - which I'll have to do no matter what type of screws I use), I don't see any problem?

Do any of you???

Thanks.

I'd use them. Well, lemme rephrase that. I do use them. If you are talking the Deck Mate brand (they've recently changed their name to Phillips II, if I remember correctly), they can't be beaten. Don't have a clue what the corrosion resistant coating is, so I wouldn't use it in direct contact with aluminum, (not that a wood screw would ever by in direct contact with aluminum), nor for anything for regular use in saltwater (if copper is used in the coating, which it probably is, you don't want it anywhere near aluminum on a saltwater boat), but for wood on wood fastenings, they are quite useful. On the G3 1436 I modded for someone else last year, I used them, and would again in a heartbeat on one of my own, if I was somehow brainwashed into using such an inferior material as wood on one of my own boats.

bassboy1 said:
and would again in a heartbeat on one of my own, if I was somehow brainwashed into using such an inferior material as wood on one of my own boats.

Ha, ha..... thanks BB1 for your (experienced and comical) input and opinion...

Might be tough cutting plugs out of hard plastic, but you could cut them out of cedar or treated wood and epoxy the plugs in place or, just countersink and fill the pilot hole with epoxy before driving the screw and then top the screw with a drop of epoxy.

Latest posts