Will I regret....

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bassboy1

TinBoats Sponsor
Reaction score
....selling my boat?

It has come down to me realizing that the 12 foot Grumman is not what I want. The only reason I have this, is we got a heck of a deal on it in December of '06.

Now, what I really want, is a 14 foot flat bottom, or mod v. Now, I can't afford the 14er, without selling the 12 footer. But, my dad seems to think that someday I might regret getting rid of it, being my first boat and all. He said I can sell it if I want, but it might be a bad idea. Now, I don't see regretting getting rid of it. At this point, I am regretting selling my 14 foot vee, but that is because it is more of what I wanted, and more practical for me. But, I don't particularly like the 12 footer. It doesn't do what I want, and I feel I would rather have a boat that fits my purposes, as opposed to my first one, that is somewhat impractical to use. If it were one of my outboards, I could understand it, as I own two of the best outboards ever made, plus one that is 72 years old, and rather rare, but this is just an every day average aluminum 12 footer, that doesn't suite my needs.

So, will I regret selling it?

Are you using it?
will you be using it soon?
I don't understand the first boat thing?
if you want the 14ft semivee then go for it..

I would not lose any sleep over selling a boat first one or knot.

Wayne

I didn't think it would be a problem, but wanted a couple of opinions. Not the first time my dad has thoroughly confused me. :?:

Now, I just have to work out a few logistics here. The fall is a buyers market, and the spring is a sellers market. I am trying to work out which would cost me less - selling mine for a tad less right now, but getting a better deal on a replacement now, or selling mine for a higher price in the spring, but having to pay a bit more in the spring. From what I have looked at, if I can sell mine for a reasonable price right now, I will be better overall, than if I waited till spring, but I haven't concluded that yet - still trying to research it a bit more.

Thanks,

bassboy1

pbw said:
Why do you want the newer boat? Just curious..
I am not sure if you mean that I want a "newer" as in age, or a "newer" as in a different one. As far as age wise, I don't give a flip about age. Just quality.

But, as far as why I want a different one, here's why.

I don't remember if I had told y'all about this (I wasn't a member at that time), but back in November 2006, we had bought a 50s Larson semi vee. 13 feet, with a 5 foot beam, for small water fishing. Now, it needed an outboard and some work. While deciding how we are going to repair some of the damage to it, I learned a lot about jon conversions. I decided that is what I wanted.

Well, we found my Grumman, Evinrude 4 deluxe, and a Shorelander trailer, for 500 bucks. Well, that was obvious, snatch it up. Now, we were first planning on selling the Grumman, and the trailer, and keep the motor. But, it dawned on us. This boat is in PERFECT condition, and it was a lot newer than we could afford normally. We ended up selling the Larson, and the shorelander for a bit of profit, and keeping the Grumman, and modernizing the 1950s trailer (when you own a couple welders, anything is possible) I kinda put off the conversion idea for a few months.

Then, I decided I need to do something. Bass fishing from that is a pain, at best. It takes 15 minutes at the launch, to get everything loaded, and strapped in (seats, and sonar are held in with ratchet straps, as we haven't done anything to it yet) I decided it wasn't stable enough to put a casting deck in, and there is NO storage. Plus, trying to flip under docks, and limbs, with gunwales, and a TM shaft in the way is just a pain. Plus, it is quite wobbly when standing in it. I had been toying with many ideas - put a level floor in the bottom, but then I still had the gunwales in my way. I finally decided (I had known for a while) that it just wasn't what I wanted, and I have the ability to get what I want.

Does that answer your question? I could elaborate further if need be (kidding). Sorry for being so long winded.

I may have a lead on a 1442 Alumacraft.

Bassboy1, if this isnt the boat you want and you got it cause the price was right, sell it, make alittle profit and consider it a stepping stone onto bigger and better things, mission accomplished :)

Thanks y'all. That is what I was thinking, but I figured I may as well check it. I'll try to keep y'all posted.