Cell Phone Gurus

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bassboy1

TinBoats Sponsor
Reaction score
I've got a couple questions here. While I consider myself apt at being able to fabricate dang near anything practical, and fix anything mechanical, I never have understood software for electronics, ever. Anyway, by a random stroke of luck, I ended up with a replacement phone (couldn't have been at a better time, seeing as my old one was on the fritz). It is the new version of my old phone (good thing, as I don't like changing things I'm used to either). Couldn't tell you what it is. Some sort of Samsung slider. Has a screen, round button and options and menu buttons on the outside, all the rest of the buttons concealed when closed. Has the 1.3 megapixel camera. Uh, it's red. Not sure how else to describe it. I can take a picture of it, if needed.

Anyway I can't figure out how to change some of the settings. First of all, how do I get it to quit beeping at me whenever I press a button? My other one had been setup before I got it, and I'd come to get used to the settings.

Secondly, how can I get a ringtone off the other one onto this one? It isn't an aftermarket one - just a stock one that came on the phone. The new one doesn't have the same one, and I am going to hate getting used to a new one. Is this even possible? Is there a way to save it to the SIM, then transfer it to the new phone.

Thirdly, same as the second, but for pictures. I've got a picture on my old phone that I had as the background, I'd like to put on the new one. Can I save it by SIM as well, or is all just hopeless at this point?

What ever happened to the days of something being designed, then not changed for 50 years. Why is it when something wears out, I can't just get an exact copy of it, and not have to get used to something new. Same for eyeglasses. Drives me nuts every time I need a new prescription.

I mostly use my phone for making/receiving calls, and taking pics on occasion. Whenever I need some tech savvy help I usually go to my students, who seem to be able to do it seconds, or so it seems. It amazes me, lol. :shock:

Maybe start here to id the phone - https://www.samsung.com/uk/consumer/mobile-phones/mobile-phones/slider/index.idx?pagetype=subtype

Unless it's windows mobile 5-6.5, I'm not much help.

You should be able to bluetooth or memory card the picture over but I bet that you are out of luck on the factory ringtone.

There should be a settings option on there somewhere that lets you turn off the keypad sounds.

Here are a couple pictures.

EagleScoutProject020.jpg

EagleScoutProject021.jpg

BassAddict said:
If it has bluetooth the pic transfer should be easy and I can walk ya through it.
Last night, I attempted to link up to the old phone via bluetooth, and it wanted me to enter a passkey. Is bluetooth something that requires an add on to the service. The plan is not set up for texting, internet or any of that stuff.

1: The middle button should get you to a menu. Go into the settings, and you should be able to tweak the things that get on your nerves (eg beeping when you hit buttons)
2: If you down loaded a ring tone from your provider, it is most likely gone.
I do not have this phone, but they all kind of work the same way. Granted, some phones menus are horrible to navigate. Good luck.

bassboy1 said:
Anyway I can't figure out how to change some of the settings. First of all, how do I get it to quit beeping at me whenever I press a button? My other one had been setup before I got it, and I'd come to get used to the settings.

Secondly, how can I get a ringtone off the other one onto this one? It isn't an aftermarket one - just a stock one that came on the phone. The new one doesn't have the same one, and I am going to hate getting used to a new one. Is this even possible? Is there a way to save it to the SIM, then transfer it to the new phone.

Thirdly, same as the second, but for pictures. I've got a picture on my old phone that I had as the background, I'd like to put on the new one. Can I save it by SIM as well, or is all just hopeless at this point?

What ever happened to the days of something being designed, then not changed for 50 years. Why is it when something wears out, I can't just get an exact copy of it, and not have to get used to something new. Same for eyeglasses. Drives me nuts every time I need a new prescription.
The beeping is controlled under your settings menu. It looks like on your phone, you would press that big middle button to open up the settings. You're trying to turn off "key sounds", or something similar.

Since your new phone doesn't have that ringtone, you're most likely S.O.L. Those ringtones are installed from the factory, but if you know the name of the particular tone, you could always search for it wherever you buy them.

The best way to get that picture off of the old phone to the new phone, would be to take the phone to your service provider store (At&t, verizon, etc) and have them transfer it over. They have little cards that will copy everything over from one phone to the other, and it shouldn't hassle them to do it. (Don't count on that factory ringtone, but you could ask)

About the bluetoothe passcode, it's usually four zeros (0000). Try that code, and let me know if it works or not.

Loggerhead Mike said:
did you not read the instructions??? :mrgreen:

lol i hate cell phones i cant work one worth a dang

Don't have them. By a stroke of luck, I ended up being the recipient of 3 demo phones in return for a favor for someone who happened to be a cell phone store manager.

Finally got the beeping to stop. Apparently, in the settings page, under sound profile, where you would choose: normal, silent, driving, or outdoor (what in the heck is the driving or outdoor sound profile), there's an edit option. Now, in this edit option, there are 3 tabs across the top. I never noticed those before.

bassboy1 said:
Last night, I attempted to link up to the old phone via bluetooth, and it wanted me to enter a passkey. Is bluetooth something that requires an add on to the service. The plan is not set up for texting, internet or any of that stuff.

Bluetooth is essentially a personal sort wave radio broadcast (about 30 feet) and is a built in feature on most phones. The pass key your phone is asking for is nothing more than a verification code that will have to be input on your old phone also so they can communicate. MeanMouth is right tho, if your not too comfortable dealing with electronics the easiest thing to do is go to your cell shop and see if they can transfer your pictures

set the passcode to 4 numbers of whatever you want. You'll need the same 4 numbers on the other phone for verification.

For ring tones, I just edit down a piece of a song in i-tunes and put it on the memory card in my phone. I find it to time consuming to find a song I like and a part of the song I want to mess with the ring tone sites. $0.02

bearsphan3.14 said:
For ring tones, I just edit down a piece of a song in i-tunes and put it on the memory card in my phone. I find it to time consuming to find a song I like and a part of the song I want to mess with the ring tone sites. $0.02

I just use MP3 trimmer to do the same - current ringtone is Jimi Hendrix - Voodoo Child opening... I love it when my phone rings.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0zfbrNukQvc]

Latest posts