AntiFreeze ?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ACarbone624

Reaction score
I have some antifreeze in a clear jug that I mixed 50/50 about a month ago. I looked at it today and it has changed color and it smells different. Is it still good? It was sitting under my awning, not in direct sunlight.

I would not trust it to be good anymore, myself. Maybe the jug is breaking down due to the glycol? Better to replace the antifreeze than to have to replace your motor. As the saying goes "If in doubt throw it out".

Does the sunlight degrade antifreeze? That's the only thing I could think of.

The sun can degrade it. It will degrade even quicker if in a clear jug. When I used to deal with the deicers at the airport which use ethylene glycol and propylene glycol the fluid in the clear sight glass would degrade. After circulating the fluid in the truck it would be the correct color again.

Don't forget, use distilled water and all antifreeze is in non-clear jugs. we have a mech shop and if its not normal looking then dispose and use some new..... like the napa extended life-green but mixes with any type.

ya didnt mix dexcool (non ethanylny glycol) and reg. anti freeze did ya?

it will start to look like doo-doo butter in a few months. love it when them engines come in the shop

Latest posts