Tire pressure and motor size question

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lswoody

Reaction score
Hey guys, I just bought a 2001 GMC Sierra 1500 Z71 about 2 weeks ago and just love it!!!!! Was wondering what tire pressure I should have in my tires. They tires are size 265/75/16. The tires say 80 psi. Is this right or should I lower it???? Also this truck has a 5.3 litre motor. I've been told that this is a 327 cu. inch motor but have also been told it was the 350 cu. in motor. So which is it???? Thanks, Scott Woody

The 5.3 is a 323 cu. in. displacement engine. The 350 is the 5.7, which is one of the best motors ever made. Your engine replaced the Vortec 5.7 as far as usage (5.3s are now in the vehicles 5.7s used to be in), but it is actually based off the 4.8 design, with a longer stroke.

The max pressure on the tire is to achieve max load capacity. Tires run at max pressure will wear in the center of the tire. Max pressure will give the best fuel economy, not the best wear, and the worst overall ride quality. There should be plate on the inside of the drivers door that has the recommended tire pressures for your vehicle, if the tires are the stock size that is. Hope this helps.

Tire pressure depends on who you talk to. The tire dealer will tell you the pressure on the side of the tire and the car or truck manufacturer will tell you the pressure that is noted on the door frame. Max tire pressure will get you better mileage at the cost of a smooth ride. A smooth ride will cost mileage.

I've got a 97 truck similar to yours with the same size tires... I put 35lbs in them and they are rated 80lbs psi too... hardly ever do I go to the max psi rating

look in the drivers door sill. there will be a tire placard that will tell you

anyhow, your truck takes 35 psi. 80 is way to much you'll wear the fire out of the center tread

you've got a good rig

Loggerhead Mike said:
look in the drivers door sill. there will be a tire placard that will tell you

anyhow, your truck takes 35 psi. 80 is way to much you'll wear the fire out of the center tread

you've got a good rig
Logger is right, always look at the sticker inside the driver side door jam. It specifically lists the recommended tire pressure.

My Dakota has 35 psi up front, with 41 in the rear. Just goes to show that they can be different, depending on the vehicle and tire size.

Nice pick by the way!

32-35 is standard for tire pressure. Don't always go by the door tags - remember the Firestone/Explorer problem? The problem wasn't with the tires, it was Ford saying tires should be at 26 psi - all for the smooth ride. Before you call me a hater - I like Ford and I like Firestone tires. I owned an explorer with the recall issue, and got a brand new set of tires out of the deal!

https://usgovinfo.about.com/blfirestone.htm - as my backup

My Dakota has 35 psi up front, with 41 in the rear. Just goes to show that they can be different, depending on the vehicle and tire size.

hondas are bad for having wacky #'s too

alot of ppl dont realize when you over or underinflate your tires to what the placard says your throwing your alignment angles off

I owned an explorer with the recall issue, and got a brand new set of tires out of the deal!
haha my old man got a free set too

bassboy1 said:
The 5.3 is a 323 cu. in. displacement engine. The 350 is the 5.7, which is one of the best motors ever made. Your engine replaced the Vortec 5.7 as far as usage (5.3s are now in the vehicles 5.7s used to be in), but it is actually based off the 4.8 design, with a longer stroke.

Thanks BB1!!!! I thought the 5.7 was the 350 mtr.

Thanks guys for the tire pressure info!!!!!! Looked on the door jam and it said 35 psi.

You will love your new rig.... I have a 2003 GMC sierra Z71 off road package. I love this thing....with the exception of the electronic actuator for the 4WD. I run 35psi in my tires, I ran brand new cooper mud and snow this winter, and run cooper AT in the summer. You should have the same motor as me, the 5.3 which is the same as a 4.8 but with a 9mm longer stroke, and 20hp more than the 4.8 has. I like it but really miss the 5.7 that my 92 had. Here is a tip about that truck..... If it ever seems like the truck is ideling low and it also seems like the rear end clunks or jolts when you take off, don't worry this is a common problem with them, and is not the rear end..... google it and you will see.... This is your throtle body needing to be cleaned out.... Crazy as it may sound!!!

Thanks perchin!!!!! So how do you clean out the throttle body?????? Hey and what kind of oil should I put in it???? I know to use 5W30 cause that is what is on the oil cap, but what brand of oil????? thanks, Scott Woody

lswoody said:
Thanks perchin!!!!! So how do you clean out the throttle body?????? Hey and what kind of oil should I put in it???? I know to use 5W30 cause that is what is on the oil cap, but what brand of oil????? thanks, Scott Woody

I clean mine out once a year. I take the throtle body off and clean it out with carb cleaner. I can't tell you what to do, and I'm sure everyone's opinion on oil brands are different, but I wouldn't even consider anything but mobil 1. I ran Mobil 1 in my 92 and sold it with 379,000 miles on it. (its still running around)

sorry, yes.... although some say to not run synthetic unless that is what has always been run in it :? I always do anyways and have not had anything but better gas mileage. I also at every oil change, I will fill my truck with a full tank of gas, and add 1 bottle of Lucas oil fuel treatment. I'm running at right around 18-19 miles per gallon.
As far as the Lucas oil..... there are a lot of em out there, but most are a hoax, I just go with what has worked for me the best. Good luck to you my friend 8)

perchin said:
You will love your new rig.... I have a 2003 GMC sierra Z71 off road package. I love this thing....with the exception of the electronic actuator for the 4WD. I run 35psi in my tires, I ran brand new cooper mud and snow this winter, and run cooper AT in the summer. You should have the same motor as me, the 5.3 which is the same as a 4.8 but with a 9mm longer stroke, and 20hp more than the 4.8 has. I like it but really miss the 5.7 that my 92 had. Here is a tip about that truck..... If it ever seems like the truck is ideling low and it also seems like the rear end clunks or jolts when you take off, don't worry this is a common problem with them, and is not the rear end..... google it and you will see.... This is your throtle body needing to be cleaned out.... Crazy as it may sound!!!

They ever get rid of the tranny/driveshaft spline clunk that was common in the late '90s? Basically, the difference in driveshaft length due to suspension movement is taken up in the splined joint where the driveshaft meets the trans. This sliding splined joint is greased from the factory, and when the grease disappears, the driveshaft hangs, and then clunks when you accelerate. GM's only solution to the problem was remove the driveshaft and recoat it with grease whenever the clunking starts, which is pretty frequently. I've got a '98 Tahoe (Vortec 5.7, 4L60E tranny), and it starts that crap up quite frequently.

Yeah.... bassboy, I forgot all about that.... on my 92 that happened and I took it in to a shop. Thankfully they were honest folks, cuz I would of dropped some dough into a rebuild. Mine only started clunking the once.....probably becuase I only drove it for farm duties, and fire wood, camper, things of this nature. I have not had the same problem with the newer style....... but if I did I would still take it over a FORD :mrgreen:

Every ones right with the tire pressure, You never run what the tire says. The number on the tire is max psi, You just need to watch and see how its gonna wear and make corrections as needed. The only time you tend to change the door plate pressure is with tires that have higher ply rating then factory spec. ones do. One or two ply makes very little differance its when you jump up 4 or more. But unless you do lots of towing or hard core wheeling no real need in changing ply rating. One thing to note with a new truck is they tend to fill the tires with nitrogen now, Its nice cause it doesnt expand when it gets hot but you tend to loose a psi every month.

Latest posts