Booked a charter trip!!!

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

perchin

Reaction score
Well, I finally booked a charter trip. We were debating between walleye and jumbo perch. We decided on Jumbo perch and here is why. I love walleye and enjoy jigging and doing the occasional drifting...although could fall asleep drifting. And I love tightlining, and jigging for perch. It all came down to what was going to bring home the most to the freezer. With walleye you have a limit for Lake erie (ohio zone) of 6 fish per day per person. With Jumbo perch it is 30 per day per person. With walleye's size being 15" or better. And the jumbo perch I keep being at least 12" or better, We will get a lot more bang for our buck with the perch. Being that we have 6 people going and the capt. said his fish go to us, I will be aiding in the local church's fish fry....yummy. Anyways I'm getting pretty anxious for sept. 25 to come around. I have never booked a charter before, but with gas prices and the price to rig up, bait, hotels and other unforseen hurdles, we decided a charter for $520.00 split 6 ways was cheaper than When we take our own boats. We booked with "Full Pull Charters" out of Ohio and will luanch out of Vermillion.

Hum, why don't you fish a combo - walleye and perch ?? You could limit out in walleye then finish the trip for perch. Or, if walleye fishing is slow, just switch to perch after a few hours. Or do the perch first, then switch to walleye?

I have a group going on May 28th, we're going for walleyes first, but if we do well and limit (or almost limit) we'll switch to perch for the remaining time. Same price for the charter either way - not one of those 8 hrs or limit - we stay out all day.

FishingCop said:
Hum, why don't you fish a combo - walleye and perch ?? You could limit out in walleye then finish the trip for perch. Or, if walleye fishing is slow, just switch to perch after a few hours. Or do the perch first, then switch to walleye?

I have a group going on May 28th, we're going for walleyes first, but if we do well and limit (or almost limit) we'll switch to perch for the remaining time. Same price for the charter either way - not one of those 8 hrs or limit - we stay out all day.

Our charter did not offer any combo trips, ours is not a 8 hour trip either. I have always been under the asumption that peek perch fishing in the great lakes is september through october.... and the walleye peeks start since last month in the detroit river and then into the great lakes. Man if this is the case I need to get on board with a charter that offers combo trips cuz we like to go out all day and catch a mixed bag, kinda like deep sea.....lots of fun :mrgreen:

Loggerhead Mike said:
i'd love to catch some of them jumbo perch

about the 10" range is our jumbo's :mrgreen:

I pull 10" range all day long in the winter through the ice on some small lakes around here.... consider myself lucky I guess :D
Perch fishing has always been my favorite and is what got me interested in fishing. It is fun to chase down a school of em', drop some lines, jig some lines, and see what they will take hold of. Its one of the fish you can go out in seek of year round, tastes good, and is fun to catch. :wink: This also explains my avatar. I've got some cool tactics to perching.

perchin said:
FishingCop said:

Our charter did not offer any combo trips, ours is not a 8 hour trip either. I have always been under the asumption that peek perch fishing in the great lakes is september through october.... and the walleye peeks start since last month in the detroit river and then into the great lakes. Man if this is the case I need to get on board with a charter that offers combo trips cuz we like to go out all day and catch a mixed bag, kinda like deep sea.....lots of fun :mrgreen:

There are many in the Port Clinton area that offer all day (not quit when you limit) trips and many of them let you fish for two species on a trip. Watch out for those that charge more for multi-species trips, there are plenty that don't charge anything extra if you limit or just want to change species. Here are a few to check out: We're using Coe Vanna cause they have a boat that will take up to 10 - we have 8 going next month. Same fee for multi-species, stay out the full time and $25 per person cabins for overnight. Look at them close to make sure they'll give you multi-species, all day, no extra charge.

https://www.coevannacharters.com/
https://www.cadez-charters.com/html/rates.html
https://dreamcharters.net/
https://www.seabreezecharters.com/
https://www.walleye.com/deyercharters.htm
https://www.lakeeriecharterfishing.com/
https://www.chartomcharters.com/
https://www.alwaysdreamntoocharters.com/bring.htm

Thanks fishingcop, I'll be checking into those. Cabins for $25.oo a night?? dang, that's a good deal. Yeah there was a couple of other charters we had in mind, but when we met the capt./owner of Full Pull, we really liked him. We were sold on the fact that he was a down to earth family guy, not that he pitched that to us or anything but while we were at a fishing expo we ran into him with his family.

perchin said:
Thanks fishingcop, I'll be checking into those. Cabins for $25.oo a night?? dang, that's a good deal. Yeah there was a couple of other charters we had in mind, but when we met the capt./owner of Full Pull, we really liked him. We were sold on the fact that he was a down to earth family guy, not that he pitched that to us or anything but while we were at a fishing expo we ran into him with his family.

Email or call him and see if he'll let you do multiple species? He might?? Either way, you'll have a great time :)

Well.....we went on our trip. All I can say folks is do lots of research on the Capt. you choose.

Saturday Capt. calls and cancells due to bad 8ft waves....get this.....2 hours before the scheduled meet time... :shock:
Ok, we just drove 5 hours down on Friday, got 2 rooms, and now saturday are stoked for some fishing....would of been nice to know a bit earlier, as I believe technology would of let you know of the bad water conditions earlier than that.

He says we can go out on Sunday.... Fine, we already drove all the way down....he set's the time to meet up for 8 AM.....

Fast-Forward to Sunday, we get there (Harbour Valley Marina) at 7AM, yes early,just to be sure we find his dock..etc... He show's up at 8:17AM, and says he was down at the piers watching a few of the other boats heading out....he want's to wait a few hours to see if it calms down... :?
By this time we're not too impressed. I suggest that we just go find a coffee shop and see what is to come, so we do.

At 11:00AM he calls and says that he has been on the radio with some of the other captains that are out fishing and they say that only the first 4 miles out is bad, and to not worry... :shock:

At this point....even though all the above...we trust this guy, considering he's been on the big lake's chartering for the last 22 years, so I tell him if he is comfortable then we will trust his judgement.

We set off for the big lake...it takes about 1/2 hour to get to the lake via the channel and river...all is well thus far.

He turns her (32ft Grady White) into the 6ft waving, chopping, rage of mother nature, and turns our relaxing fishing trip into a nightmareish ride of terror.
When we get out to where he wants to fish (9 or 10 miles out) its rolling waves so bad that you literally can't stand upright without holding on to something... :roll:
After being out there for about 3 hours the lake decided to finally settle....thank god as my wife and neighboor's were getting pretty sea sick.

So it goes hold on to railing and hold onto pole....... Now the fishing was good, but I challenge the person whom declared these as JUMBO perch...I catch bigger through the ice around my house... All in All we limited out on fish, enjoyed eachother's company, and relaxed for two days with no schedule.

At least the perch are tasting good though....next time there will be some better research done.

Here are a couple Photos.....sorry no photo of the ride out as It was hard enough to stay on-board.

DSCN2096.JPG

Sheepshead...junk, but fun to catch on an ultralight!!! You can see that the water finally calmed down in this one
DSCN2090.JPG

That sucks about the weather but I'm glad you got out. We call that weather the "herd thinner". It keeps the casual fisherman off the water and just leaves the hardcore and the craizies out. We still haven't figured out if we are hardcore or crazy but its always fun.

Glad you had a good time despite the events.

For perspective- try a 50' tug boat in the Bering Sea around an Aluetain Island in 25' swells. The smell of deisel fumes and the motion of the boat made pretty much everyone sick except for the crew, who is used to it.

Hanr3 said:
For perspective- try a 50' tug boat in the Bering Sea around an Aluetain Island in 25' swells. The smell of deisel fumes and the motion of the boat made pretty much everyone sick except for the crew, who is used to it.

:shock: :shock: ........ I don't get sea sick, or motion sickness ever........... although, I might get sick at the smell of my shorts on a ride like that.. :lol:

Glad you had a good time in the end.
Except for acouple things, the Capt.probably did all he could do,can't make the weather.
Wanted to keep everyone safe,big waves/water can be big trouble.
Sounded like the weather was pretty tough at first as it was.
Happy eating.

Latest posts