AeroGarden

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jim

TinBoats Supporter
Reaction score
Let the growing begin.

My mother-in-law got me one of these for Christmas. She knows I like to cook, and we grow (my wife mostly) a kick *** garden every year. But living up here in the Northeast, you really cant grow things year round. To me there is nothing like fresh herbs for cooking. Or fresh garden veggies for that matter.

This kit works like an aquarium, you fill it with water, throw some nutrient tabs in it, the light turns on for 16 hours then turns off for 8 hours. This kit is self sufficient. In 2 weeks it will flash to remind me to fill the water level, and add 2 nutrient tabs (provided in kit).

This will be an ongoing review with a weekly update to see if this thing really delivers.

Product: Aerogarden

Mine came with the Gourmet Herb kit:
The Gourmet Herb kit contains a wide variety of today’s most popular herbs for adding fresh, zesty flavor to meals. Turn everyday meals into extraordinary dishes. The kit contains seven popular culinary herbs, including: Cilantro, Chives, Italian Basil, Purple Basil, Dill, Mint and Parsley. Begin harvesting in three to four weeks and continue harvesting for four to five months.

They make more kits: Available kits

12/28/2007
The Kit out of the box!
aerogarden1.JPG

All set up!
aero2.JPG

The Pod Shot!
aero3.JPG

Another Pod Shot!
aero4.JPG

#1. I don't have a place to put one.
#2. We really don't use a lot of fresh herbs (more spices than herbs)
and...
#3. Our cats would eat the herbs before we used them.

That is awesome - I am big fan of fresh herbs as well (the eating kind, you sick people) and grow all sorts of stuff in the summer. My solution is to harvest everything in the fall and freeze them - most of the herbs retain their fresh flavor out of the freezer.

I want to install a greenhouse one day

That thing is awesome. That woulda been a perfect Christmas gift for my girl....oh well she had to settle for a new benchmade folder and other stuff. I love fresh herbs, I could live on fresh basil, if need be.

esquired said:
I am big fan of fresh herbs as well (the eating kind, you sick people)

I am a big fan of ALL types. ha. That thing looks pretty sweet. It would be good for us. My back patio doesn't get enough sun for a good harvest. Although, my actual apartment doesn't have enough room for such an aparatus. Fresh herbs are much better than dried. Rosemary, sage, basil, and cilantro are my favorites. Be careful not to actually cook leafy herbs (i.e. cilantro in salsa, basil in tomato sauce). Just add them at the end, a couple minutes before serving.

Looks awesome Jim!! That is totally cool. I thought I was really doing something big when I took a seed out of a lemon I ate and planted it and started growing my own little lemon tree.(pics later) :D

1/28/2008

I had to cut the basil because it was towering over the other herbs. I should of read the directions...They said to pinch the top to stunt the growth and make the leaves fuller.

Basil tasted awesome, and so did the chives in the wifes mashed potatoes. :D

IMG_0518.JPG