Running Mcafee antivirus on your machine - Beware

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cyberflexx

Reaction score
If your machine updates with McAfee and it shuts down and comes back up and wont load the desktop ( explorer.exe) and has really strange issues. This is because their update blew up the SVCHOSTS.exe file in c:\windows\system32 The way to fix this is to overwrite the SVCHOSTS.exe file that is 0 bytes with one from another PC with the same service pack level then reboot. We have seen this on many many machines at work, had to roll back DAT files, we got McAfee on the horn and they know of the issue. This was a corporate issue where I work. It only affected a couple machines at my site, but many many others corporate wide.

When McAfee updates, it will go to restart on you.. if you catch it in time, pull up a command prompt by clicking Start> and in the run box type Shutdown -a this will abort the shutdown command.

I hope this helps you guys!

cyberflexx said:
https://www.pcworld.com/article/194705/mcafee_antivirus_update_halts_corporate_pcs.html

here ya go!

yep, got the pop-up Virus Detected! window, and it started shutting-down...........................and it kept shutting-down, re-booting, shutting-down, re-booting, over and over. :shock:

"...Affected PCs have displayed a shutdown error or blue error screen, then gone into an endless cycle of rebooting, users claimed."

Latest posts