ever have one of those days?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wasilvers

Reaction score
Worked on the boat most of the day today, and really am no further along than I was on Thursday night. Had to redo one part - made it better/stronger and did the final disassembly. Was busy from 9 to 6 on boat stuff with about 2 hours of other stuff in there - and it still looks the same as before. ARRRGGGGGggggg!!!!!

The problem is it is a deep V boat, and I want a bit more bow storage. Originaly the floor goes all the way to the front and the decks are added on top of it So I'm working on the the hardest part of the compound angles in the front V and how to brace them so the decking is solid, while being lightweight, but strong enough to support a full livewell and my 225 - while having room for my rod storage and 10 livejackets if I want them.

So to start the day had to cut the carpeting off the very front bow my trolling motor mount to get the wood off, so much for using it as a cut guide for the next one.
I tried to blow the rust out of a screw head from the deck screw used by prior builder and blow it all directly into my eyes and mouth.
Get the wood off and find the welds have busted on one side of the support. Trip 1 to store for bolts to bolt it back together - nice that the 3 welds broke but the 3 rivets held tight!
See I made a Homer mistake and can save 1.5 inches by flipping a 2x4 on it's side, had to rebuild the part to do it. Messed up 2x boards measuring once and cutting twice.
Had to redo the part again when I realized I forgot to account for the decking on top of it.
Sat deciding on 1/2 or 3/4 decking for the part and weighing pros and cons of each
Find out I need more fasteners (and more wood now) so take a trip to the hardware store (second trip)
Get back from store on only to find groundsquirrel central in my garage - chirping and barking at me like I was the invader. Went and got the pellet gun, lined one up and as I was squeezing, kid says "DADDY!" - a clean miss - and a hole in my garage now because missed the backstop as well.
Worked on front deck, designing, cutting, moving, cutting, angles - angles - and more angles - really glad I got the compound miter saw now! Just gotta remember to flip wood over before cutting opposite angles.
More groudsquirrels barking, one runs right by my hand while I was operating the compound miter. Grabbed the gun and spotted one laughing at me, so I lined him up and gun went "piissst" - lost compression on a pcp (pump once, shoot lots of times)
Fixed the gun (10 minutes) and never saw another squirrel.
Had some design ideas, but needed another trip to hardware store (trip 3 of the day)

Gave up on boat at 6pm because it was dinner and I was tired.

Now at 11pm, I'm brushing my teeth and the answer comes to me on how to fix the front end - DOH! How could I be so stupid, the answer is so easy.

Time for bed, tomorrow will be a better day.

Lots of days like that myself, but they do get better. The solution to a problem usually comes after getting away from a project and when you're least expecting it. When I get to the point where I'm tossing stuff around the yard or garage, because I'm tired and stumped as to a solution, I quit for a day or two, and go back to it with a fresh start.

:idea: Safety thought/reminder: When you get tired and frustrated, stay away from the power tools. That's when they'll bite you.

Yeah, those power tools bite! Closest I've gotten was sanding while tired - glad I had gloves on that day! Also, the stupid squirrel caused me to jerk my hand towards the saw blade - being raised in Texas, most anything you see is poisonous, so you get away fast.

I looked at more builds yesterday and saw some ideas on how to make it better/ more stable. Have to drill a couple of holes in the boat though and I wanted to avoid that. Anyway, once that front part is done, the rest of the decking should really fly together. The front deck is pretty well planned out and ready to go. The back deck will just be measuring how many doors I want on it and making it work. But it is already braced and is fairly square.

Hope to be decked and onto carpeting in 2 weeks.

Thanks for the encouragement, I'll start back on it Tuesday!

Latest posts