Marine Tech training, I think I am going back to school

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RBuffordTJ

Reaction score
I am looking at going back to school here in Orlando to become a Marine Technician (boat monkey LOL) and the school I am considering is UTI (Universal Technical Institute) here in Orlando.

Anyone ever train here? How busy are the boat mechanics in your area?

Here in FL, especailly on the coast, it can take up to 3 months to get a boat into the marina for service or work. Most of the research I have done shows a need for more techs out there. I was just wondering about your area.

I am very burned out on my line of work, I have been in it since 1995, and I would like a trade I enjoy and could apply all over the country. The school is 51 weeks, 5 days a week, 5 hours a day but they offer night classes so I can work full time and school at night. Going to be a rough year with lots of coffee.

I was just looking for your 2.5 cents.

Bufford in Orlando

I say go for it!!! You only live life once, might as well live it your way, doing something your passionate about. =D>

You will probably never get rich off of it unless you start up your own business down the road but there is a lot to be said for looking forward to going to work every day.

Good luck.

I just can't help but think of the sweet deals you'll be able to find on boats/motors! 8)

If I had the choice, I'd do it with the ultimate goal of owning my own shop.

I would say it depends how old you are, changing careers is though, however if there is a need and you are willing to do it for a Year, go for it, I could never work at a job I dont like, why even get up? Lots of Boats in FL.

I'm just curious about the research you've done. I could see a high demand for techs in your area, but I wouldn't base it solely on wait time to get a boat looked at. Any idea places are actively hiring right now? With the way the economy is, chances are pretty good that a boat shop has a long wait because they can't afford more techs.

if i lived on the coast i would of got into the marine instead of auto

good school but its tuff as far as missing days, tardee's ect ect. buddy i work with went to uti in charlotte

if i ever move to the coast i'd like to get into working on yaughts. go for the people that have the cash to dish out and cant bring their boats to the shops

the only downer to getting into the mechanic buisness is you start at the bottom and have to work your way up. dont expect to start making bank your first few years in the field. Once you move up to the b-a level techs you'll earn yourself a good living

RBuffordTJ said:
I am considering is UTI (Universal Technical Institute) here in Orlando.

Bufford, I would probably avoid any learning institution that isn't accredited and possibly located in a shopping plaza. It might be worth your time looking at a community college whose credits will transfer to a university should you decide to further your education.

I say do it as long you got a job to fall back on while your going to school. Honestly i love working on outboards but i don't think id want to do it full time cause you just see people that have been boat mechanics for umpteen years and theres a reason for that! Start out as a hobbie thats what im doing

I think going to school for something you absolutely love is great. If you truly enjoy the long hours and deadlines that need to be met, working as a marine mechanic could be right up your alley. Of course, don't expect to bring home the bills right away.

Quite possibly, you could be looking at $12-30 dollars an hour. Some businesses also pay their mechanics by the job, usually around 40-50%.

There are lots of options for you at this point. Like others have said, the economy is slowly gaining ground, so going to school now is a justified idea. If you're burnt out at work and would like to switch directions, I would speak to a couple of different colleges, and then compare with UTI.

Make your decision, and go from there. Good luck, and I hope you find what you're looking for!

My brother works on boats part time and loves it. He is getting ready to move to Florida to work on boats down there. The one thing about working on yachts and large vessels is that there is no room to work. The engines may be in a hole under the kitchen floor. You open a door and see one part of one side of the engine. He has had to disassemble engines and generators to get them out before being able to troubleshoot them because they built the boat around the motor. It is not like pulling a motor out of a vehicle. You take it out piece by piece and put it together the same way piece by piece. I have helped him a couple times on the big jobs.

If you want to go after your dream, I say go for it.

I say do it!!!!!! Most marine mechanics around here are busy from Feb till about November or so and it is a little slack around Christmas. Hope you do well!!!!

Scott Woody

I really do appreciate all the input!

I have researched other schools that offer similar programs but this one has the highest graduate placement program of the bunch (93% have locked in jobs with the school's assistance at graduation). UTI has been around for many years, it is not a strip mall program that is up and gone in the middle of the night and they have campuses across the country offering everything from auto, diesel, motorcycle and marine. They have a track record and a good name in the marine industry, I have checked around with dealers and shops and they all have high praise for the school's program. Mercury, Suzuki, Volva Penta, Yamaha are some of their partners in the program and their dealerships have a high hire rate for graduates.

Not a get rich scheme by any means, to be honest, I am happy being a working man. I like working and seeing a job well done. In my line of work now it takes years in some cases to see finality to a hard worked case, and that eats at me. I have been doing this since 1995 and it is time for a change. I would like to go to work for a shop or dealer first, get my hands on time in and the ultimate goal would be a mobile service of my own where I go to the boats.

I pride myself in my work, wether it is mowing the grass, building something in my woodshop, modifying a jon boat or whatever. I put my all into my projects and want to be the guy they say "oh you need work done, you need to call this guy".

All in all it will be a new career, a job, and I expect ups and downs. The economy is in a place right now where a fella can start out new, and if he works hard, can make something good for himself. I will be working full time at my current job while I go to school, so I am looking at a year of 17 hour days...but I have decided it is worth it.

When I am done, if need be, I could continue on my current job and do the boat work on the side. It is not just engines but electrical, trailers, everything from tip to toe on a boat that I am going to be learning...and there is plenty of work out there. I will keep you all posted.

Bufford in Orlando

Best of luck to you Bufford. It seems like you have done plenty of research and know what you are getting into. I wish you nothing but the best in your new line of work. You may also get the inside scoop on some hot fishing spots :D

there is nothing wrong with getting out of a crappy job, my only concern would be that if you work on motors every day for someone else you may come to resent something that you used to love doing. I think you will know if this is right for you after a month or so in school. why not give it a go?

go for a dealership job. the pay will be low at first but you will climb the ladder and the only way to do it is with time. the best thing about a dealer is when times are slow you have warranty work (even though it doesnt pay as much) and they will continue to train you with the latest and greatest

About 20 years ago just a couple of months shy of my 30th birthday I went back to school and got a BS in Electronics Technology and it was the smartest move I ever made. Being a senior level (Over 8 years field experience, I'm going on 17 years now) ISSET certified electronics technician will get you in the door of a lot of places like the commercial HVAC Service tech job I have now which pays very well and has excellent insurance and pension. (I had the sheetmetal workers and pipefitters unions fighting over me, I chose the Pipefitters because of an extra .35 cents and hour and a better bene3fits package. Furnaces, AC's and boilers, especially the commercial packages, are all computer controlled and they were dying for electronics techs with an HVAC background. Now my back is going on me I'm looking for a bench job probably teaching at the tech college I graduated from or training the apprentices in electrical/electronics at the union hall. I've also been offer the position of service manager or sales where I work now but I'm not the management/sales type (Ran a Radio Shack branch for a couple of years and hated all the corporate management BS) I'm more of a hands on kind of guy.

Latest posts