Bass season opens THIS WEEKEND!

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wasilvers

Reaction score
In Wisconsin, the bass season opens up this weekend! I have plans at 9am so I have to be done by 8 - but should get a good couple of hours in starting at first light!

Even though the ramps will be very busy I wish the boat was done already. Since it's in pieces and the motor is off - I'll be limited to bank fishing. But it's ok - last year I found a great little lake that is 90% bank accessible with up to 4 lb bass in it. It gets fished hard, but maybe I'll fool a few. :wink:

Ohhhh So Excited I can hardly sleep at night!

:fishing2:

Loggerhead Mike said:
dang didnt know any states had a bass season

tear um up!

No doubt.

I'm glad that I live where I can catch whatever I want whenever I want to go after them.
:lol:

The season is actually closed to all gamefish - bass, pike, muskie - etc... about all you can catch are panfish (and walleye during their run)

I bet there are 15-20 other guys there before 6am. It will be nice to wet a line again!

Depends on how accidental it is. I talked to the DNR office and their people couldn't help, so they gave me 4 game wardens to call. From the one warden I talked with - catching it on a crappie jig is ok, using a 2 1/2" crankbait will net you one discussion with a judge and a bit less fishing equipment. He was real nice, just didn't want there to be any wiggle room.

Of course, everytime I went by the local river, I saw guys throwing big bucktails and rapalas for northerns and muskie. I could tell them till I was blue in the face that the season was closed and they'd argue that it wasn't closed there. The wardens had EVEN POSTED SIGNS within 20 feet of them saying it was closed. Sometimes I wish I could give tickets out. :twisted: Once informed, they should have at least looked up the regs to prove their position.

Since you already had the game wardens' ph#, you should have tipped them off. I don't go around playing power ranger, but I cannot stand folks who has no regard for fishing regs.

Coming from somewhere with thousands of miles of water with no set seasons for catching fish (outside of hand grabbing catfish), this is baffling to me.

They would just have to throw me in jail if they wanted to give me a ticket for accidentally catching a sport fish. Heck, we use crankbaits for crappie around here.

I don't get it.

Why do they care if you catch them so long as you don't keep them? I could almost see that one.

perchin said:
MI also has season's. Our DNR get pretty frisky round here [-X

Here too. Once the DNR gave my pastor a ticket for leaning his unloaded shotgun against the car tire while he was getting his gear off (turkey hunting). They have a rule that your gun can not be in or on the car unless it is cased. Stupid rule! So what do I do? Put my $$$ gun down in the dirt or lean it on a tree while I get the case out? What should I do while taking off the climbing treestand? Shuffle the rifle from hand to hand while shedding equipment? Seriously.

I gripe, but do follow the rules as I know them. It has cost me equipment though. I laid my bow down in the grass one day while I was getting geared up. Picked up the bow and a mouse had found it and eaten some of the feathers off my arrows. :evil: A two hour drive up - at least I had my refletching gear along :wink: Also lost a latch to my case in the dark when I stepped on it in the dark/in the snow.

Quackrstackr said:
I don't get it.

Why do they care if you catch them so long as you don't keep them? I could almost see that one.

Funny, the north WI regs open up with only catch and release on Saturday. Catchum but don't keepum!

Quackrstackr said:
I don't get it.

I'm not sure. Not to sound lame, but I like that there is season's. I wish they would put more regulations and season's on perch and spec's around here, that way the idiots around here wouldn't be able to fish the lakes out of quality fish. I've watched them take 50 4-5" fish on a regular basis..... have called the DNR and they say there is no size limit to panfish, it just erks me is all.

i feel ya on that

yall just need high mercury level warnings in every lake like we got here that'll keep most people from keeping the fish :wink:

That or some size limits.

My local lake has a 15" limit on bass and 10" on crappie. 5 bass per day and 20 crappie.

Quackrstackr said:
That or some size limits.

My local lake has a 15" limit on bass and 10" on crappie. 5 bass per day and 20 crappie.
Nice - we have a 14" limit here and some lakes have an 18" limit (so the bass eat the crawdads) Most of the ones I catch are 15-16 inches - and I let them grow up to be bigger next year.

I've seen people take 5 gallon buckets of small panfish home. Then they were there working on their next bucket the next day. Worst was one group who was there 3 days in a row! I didn't go back on day 4 because it would have hurt to bad to see that.

My bait is bigger than what they were keeping :evil:

Update - Went out this am and between 2 of us we managed 5 bass! Very good since a front came in last night and it stormed like crazy. Supposed to be a chance of rain to day and more rain tommorrow.

8)

Latest posts