Padre Island

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bobberboy

TinBoats Supporter
Reaction score
I'm thinking of a camping trip to Padre Island Nat'l Seashore this summer - I've never been there before. I wouldn't have a boat and am curious about the fishing around there and if you can find a day or half-day charter nearby. I know it's going to be hot that time of year but being from MN, I like to store up as much heat and sun as I can for the winter to come. I think we'd be mostly going for the birding and sitting looking at the gulf, but if fishing is an option it might be fun to try. We're also going to Big Bend which I hear is very beautiful. My last extended stay in Texas was in 1970 for Air Force basic training. I hope to have more fun this time.

Not sure on the charters - I know they have plenty of them there - but I wouldn't know who to recommend. My first and probably last charter trip in the Gulf and I got sick. I'd rather go with a guy for redfish or trout - usually somewhat calmer water and more fishing time not having to run 50 miles offshore.

If you bring a rod they have piers and jetties to fish from there too - might have to drive back to Corpus Christi (if you are on the north shore). Best places to fish during the day are in the cuts (deeper water running parrallel to the shore- I think one pier you can reach the first 2 cuts. Jetties hold all sorts of fish.

If it was me and I wanted to soak up some sun with some relaxed fishing. I'd use some pieces of dead shrimp to catch a little (3-4") croaker (you'll know them by the sound they make) and hook him up using a fishfinder style rig with a 20 inch spread between hook and weight. Then cast him out in the second cut. Soak some sun and land some good fish. What a great day that would be.

Also - for some good birding opportunities, try Aransas National Wildlife Refuge. It's famous for being where the whooping cranes go. A fair amount of wildlife - but watch out for the gators!

IN nearby Corpus they have two, really nice large charter fishing boats, "Scat Cat & Wharf Cat" reasonable prices and you will catch some fish. Also the USS Lexington and the TX State aquarium are must sees. Good food & drinks go to Landry's or Black Beards.

There are plenty of guides that will take you out for day or 1/2 day charters. Also the two head boats mentioned above. But there is plenty of shore line to fish also. I have had some great days in the surf, but remember to shuffle your feet for the stingrays and wash your gear real good to get the saltwater off.

Latest posts