Forum Rant

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bugpac

Reaction score
Ok so I am on another forum, And they actually are whining about link backs to the forum... WTF is the deal with that, I have owned, started and sold a forum, from the ground up, #1 key to being successful is getting link backs to the site via other sites... I had google crawling it in less than 10 days, and search engines showing content on the first page in less than 90 days, That is awesome for a forum as i am sure JIM will agree.. So this forum I have spent much time on over the last yr has turned into a complete joke.. Ok I am done ranting, and I am also done participating in the other forum. It has become a complete show for a few guys in the fishing forum, same ol content made videos every other week, and some guide claiming to be better than KVD at times... So I am officially calling Tinboats my Primary residence from here out... Im not sure how the other Georgia boys feel. But you sure arent gonna see any GON stickers on my car anymore..

I occasionally go over to GON, but my biggest gripe about their site is that the signature portion of each message is *huge* and I have to look around for the actual comment... petty I know, but it's hard to read.

And honestly, I haven't found a great deal of useful info over there. Can't beat tinboats man!

I think the bandwith (from linking the pictures) that it was taking was too much, or thats what they said. I dont mind it over there, there are some primadonnas. However, there are a lot of guys over there that do know what they are talking about, I like to get knowledge from them but those are a slight few. And you can ask about certain bodies of water, whcih has its advantages.

I like it for entertainment value.

I do really miss the swap and sell forums, but the gun stuff must have been too much. I just think there were too many lazy moderators.

That site has all the bandwidth they could ever need, now days bandwidth is unlimited with a good hosting service, So i dont think its that, IMO its just a control freak issue is all...

Bugpac said:
That site has all the bandwidth they could ever need, now days bandwidth is unlimited with a good hosting service, So i dont think its that, IMO its just a control freak issue is all...

Your probably right, youve been there longer than me......

I don't understand it either. I have no issue when other people link other forums and sites. In my opinion If a reader likes what they see here they will stay and/or come back.

The only thing I don't care for is when someone comes here to sell something not considering that we have paying advertisers.

Jim said:
I don't understand it either. I have no issue when other people link other forums and sites. In my opinion If a reader likes what they see here they will stay and/or come back.

The only thing I don't care for is when someone comes here to sell something not considering that we have paying advertisers.

Thats what happened over there I think. Gun dealers where using the site exclusively to sell there stuff, with no interest at all in the forum. Probably 100 or so new gun classifieds a day. The sponsor of the forum was the only real advertiser and its a taxidermy shop, so maybe there isnt a conflict IDK.

BP,

Were they complaining about linking to other sites or back within their own?

Here's the post in that thread on GON... - here's the new thread I think a lot of people are using (thanks for the link J) https://www.theoutdoorstrader.com/

After months of trying every trick in the book to clean these forums up without success, we have regretfully decided it is in the best interest of the message board as a whole to close them to further posting of ads. Too many members have either not read or ignored the rules governing these forums. The rule violations are so many we cannot keep up with the need to moderate these forums.

In addition, we have been invaded by dealers who have taken advantage of our efforts to provide participating members a place to swap and sell items they no longer want or need in order to promote their business for free at the expense of the advertisers who pay for this message board.

Also, we have recently been made aware of the fact many of you are using our message board as a photo storage site and are "linking back" to us from other message boards to promote the sale of your item. This practice is against our long standing rule against doing so. Linking back absorbs bandwidth which directly affects the experience here for all members, whether they participate in the Swap & Sell forums or not.

IF these forums reopen, those of you who use the Swap & Sell forums should review both the General Rules forum here:General Rules Forum as well as the specific rules governing the Swap & Sell forums. Those rules are posted in a thread that appears at the top of each Swap & Sell forum.

IF these forums reopen we will have zero tolerance for members who fail to abide by the rules. To those of you who are dealers or are engaging in the practice of linking back, if we determine you are either, your membership privledges will be revoked without hesitation. That determination is at our sole discretion. There will be no negotiating, no reinstatements.

For those members who are regular, contributing members and have followed the rules, we apologize to you for having to take this drastic action. We are well aware of your desire to follow the rules here so that everybody benefits. You shouldn't have to pay the price for others' abuses but the situation has become so untenable we have no other choice. The Swap & Sell forums have become unmanageable.

This message board was started by the founder so his taxidermy customers could keep in touch and have a place to meet and discuss and debate matters hunting and fishing and every now and then swap or sell something to a friend. It was never intended to be a Craig's List that also had a couple of forums devoted to hunting and fishing. We are going back to our roots, with or without the Swap & Sell forums.

Please do not start threads in the other forums to complain about the closure of the Swap & Sell forums. Your thread will be deleted and repeated violations will result in moderation action against your user account. If you have comments or complaints, do so via PM to any Administrator or Moderator.

Bug,

The link back issue they were complaining about was mostly a swap and sell related issue. On a given day, you could go to the Boats section of the Atlanta Craiglist, and there would be 10 ads who didn't have pictures uploaded in the ad, but instead had a link back to the GON swap and sell page, saying Click the link for pictures. I'm sure the issue wasn't limited just to Craigslist, but also on other message boards.

Ya probbaly, But who cares, that is the point, the more people clicking the link, the more people find the GON.. Its not about bandwidth, that inst hurting them at all.. I am all done i shouldn't even said anything here...

Bugpac said:
Ya probbaly, But who cares, that is the point, the more people clicking the link, the more people find the GON.. Its not about bandwidth, that inst hurting them at all.. I am all done i shouldn't even said anything here...

I understand what you are saying. Search engines and Indexing with Spyders gets better results with more links. :beer:

Bugpac said:

I agree with ya bug... too many forum nazi's, and they don't control what really needs to be controlled over there

russ010 said:
Bugpac said:

I agree with ya bug... too many forum nazi's, and they don't control what really needs to be controlled over there

Russ you hit that nail on the head... :)

Do you guys know for sure that they have unlimited bandwidth?

Regardless, it is a private site owned by somebody and you either play by their rules or you can hit the road. Even Jim can attest to that.

Forum members start feeling like they have some sort of say in how the site is or should be run after a while when ultimately all that it is, is a free place for them to congregate on someone else's dime. It is like going to someone's house for dinner as an invited guest and then complaining about the food that they were served. If it was costing the members money for use, then the complaint might be a bit more valid.

Just my opinion.

Just click your heals 3 times and repeat "Theres no place like home" and bam your back at Tinboats. :mrgreen:

shamoo said:
Just click your heals 3 times and repeat "Theres no place like home" and bam your back at Tinboats. :mrgreen:

:LOL22: Now that's funny!

Quackrstackr said:
Do you guys know for sure that they have unlimited bandwidth?

Regardless, it is a private site owned by somebody and you either play by their rules or you can hit the road. Even Jim can attest to that.

Forum members start feeling like they have some sort of say in how the site is or should be run after a while when ultimately all that it is, is a free place for them to congregate on someone else's dime. It is like going to someone's house for dinner as an invited guest and then complaining about the food that they were served. If it was costing the members money for use, then the complaint might be a bit more valid.

Just my opinion.

If they dont, they need new managment... :) You just have to hang out there for a yr and you'd be complaining to. I shouldn't have said anything at all about it..

Im sure Jim can attest that he doesn't treat you, no differently than I as well... When you play the sides game it doesn't make for a pretty environment..

Im closing this up, as I said, I should not have said anything..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts