Freezing Fish Fillets

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FishingCop

Reaction score
So.... Why do some people freeze their fillets in baggies filled with water? As opposed to just freezer bags with the air squeezed out? Does it have to do with lasting longer?, freezer burn? Taste? or what?

Thawing out under the faucet is quick by running water over them. Thawing in a block of ice will take lots longer I think?

Any other storage tips??

Personal preference has as much to do with it as anything else. The first time I heard of freezing fish inside ice, it was to prevent freezer burn and prolong the storage time. This was back in the late '60s or early '70s, before vacuum sealing was popular or widely available to the public. Even before Zip-loc bags !!! :shock: The container of choice was an empty cardboard milk container. Different size containers held different portion sizes, so you only thaw what you need, in the fridge the night before you want to use the fish, or under cold, running water the day of use.

I've heard of some folks adding a bit of milk to the water, before adding the fish & freezing, to mellow out a strong flavored fish.

I vac seal EVERYTHING these days. Either in bags or mason jars. But flash-frozen-at-sea seafood, these days is often better and fresher than "fresh" fish in the store. :wink:

I fill the bags w/ water and freeze them... just because when I was a kid and learned to fillet fish from my grandfather that is what he did. :mrgreen:

I've never heard of doing that.. I do the exact opposite I guess. I lay the fillets out on paper towel and pat them down until they have little moisture left it them, then put them on wax paper, put them in a ziploc, and freeze. I always blot them down really well prior to frying them up too.

Don't know why, that's just how I was taught.

Vac seal is the way to go. You'll also find alot more uses for it than just fish fillets.

Brine said:
Vac seal is the way to go. You'll also find alot more uses for it than just fish fillets.
Vac sealers are the only way to go these days. They are inexpensive and if you use mason jars & vac seal containers, they are extremely versatile and can be used to store almost anything you want to keep fresh or dry for long term storage.

I store bulk purchases of nuts, coffee beans, rice, frozen fresh fruit & fruit chunks, portion sizes of spaghetti sauce & other gravies and sauces, cookies & crackers, cereals, sugar, flour, spices.... the list goes on and on, in the mason jars & containers and I use the bags for meats, fish, precooked meals to reheat, pantry storage of bulk grain & rice (holds more than the jars).

They make bulk buying for one person feasible. And the best part is, no more stale food and less spoiled food.

I have recently started vac sealing mine but used water filled ziploc bags for years. I still do on occasion if I don't want to drag the sealer out for only one or two bags of fish. So long as you remove all of the air bubbles, you can keep fish and other game freezer burn free for 2 years or more.

The downside is that it does take forever for them to thaw and it takes up more room in your freezer. But, the long time to thaw can sometimes be a benefit when your wife is not paying attention and leaves the freezer door ajar in the summer... twice. :x

I have almost 2 gallons of bluegill and redear fillets to vacuum pack and get in the freezer tonight after I get home from work. 8)

I've also found that anything wet like blood from meat, fish juice etc.....you can put a little bit of paper towel at the edge of the bag, and it will keep you from sucking any of the liquid into the machine.

i always filled bags w/ water when freezing trout (the whole thing besides the guts)

fillets i just throw them in a bag, fill the sink up and slowly lower the bag in the water. poor mans vacuum sealer 8)

Brine said:
I've also found that anything wet like blood from meat, fish juice etc.....you can put a little bit of paper towel at the edge of the bag, and it will keep you from sucking any of the liquid into the machine.

I've read that in my book although my machine has a moisture tray and a sensor that shuts it off when it gets full anyway.

Does the paper towel stay inside the bag inside the seal or how does that work? I figured placing a paper towel on the very edge of the bag may interfere with the sensor that tells the machine that it has been inserted far enough to start the vacuum.

Quackrstackr said:
I've read that in my book although my machine has a moisture tray and a sensor that shuts it off when it gets full anyway.

Does the paper towel stay inside the bag inside the seal or how does that work? I figured placing a paper towel on the very edge of the bag may interfere with the sensor that tells the machine that it has been inserted far enough to start the vacuum.

Yes, put the folded paper towel between the food and the seal.