Fighting at the launch

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dyeguy1212

Reaction score
Anyone ever do it? I'm a pretty level headed guy most of the time, but today was the type of day that will put you in jail for assault..

It began with losing 4 lures totaling 22 bucks, 3 of which were complete mysteries.. one flew off on the cast, one wasn't there after I set the hook, and one chatterbait came off the blade on the retrieve. The other was my fault, snagging it on a stump.

Had two spools of line ruined, one with a random break in the middle (didn't even backlash it to weaken it) and one gnarly backlash.

Then I got stuck in the sun for a lot longer than I had hoped, both because of my uncle bailing after he dropped my cousin with me, then waiting to get my boat back on the trailer. I don't do well with heat, so I had about had it at this point. When it was my turn, some asswipe pulled right infront of me and took up the dock, instead of beaching it. So not only did he block me from getting in, he blocked others from launching.

When I finally get my boat beached, there are 4 cars blocking the turnaround with their ski boats, so I had to maneuver around them, when they could have stayed back, off the curve so others could pass.

Then some jackass came flying up the ramp with his ram truck and massive trailer, and clipped my trailer really hard. Bent a 4" metal bracket that holds my license plate and tail light, along with the loop for the stern tie-down. He got out and said "Oh sorry did I clip that?" all sarcastically, when you could have heard the rumble of the collision 2 towns over. Then he went back to get in his truck as I inspected the damage.

At this point I had had enough.. I said some stuff I shouldn't have said, and if the guy didn't have his family with him I was going to hurt him as badly as possible before it got broken up. I started walking over to grab him out of the truck, then decided I was just overheated and over tired. I got back in my truck, got my boat, and smashed the bracket back into place when I got home.

Anyone ever actually throw down? I don't mean to be an internet badass, but today was almost the day... :roll:

People are becoming more & more inconsiderate of others.They don't care if your fishing or what their wake might do when they come blasting by.I only fish until the crazies come out than I just pack up & leave before I hurt somebody.Where I launch kids hang out & block the ramp.You have to ask them to move even though it is clear they are in the way.They give you a dirty look & take their sweet time to move their car or truck.
Ya I know where your coming from.

Not in Texas, that guy would have is butt beat 'till kingdom come; family watching and all! I saw a couple of guys get into it a ramp at Travis one day a few years ago. They were both just drunk enough to have a pretty decent fight. The Park Ranger broke it up, he said he didn't care if they beat each other to a pulp; but they were blocking two lanes of ramp! Gotta love LCRA Rangers, they have their priorities straight!

We are beginning to need a traffic cop @ our launch. We have had a massive influx of people into our area since hurricane Katrina. The seem to have brought bad manners with them. I have had people cut me off at the launch and try to back down on top of me. No one wants to wait their turn. Another thing is many will back their sailboat into the launch then rig right there blocking the launch for 30 mins or more. Others will pull out and stop to secure items in the boat and vehicle instead of pulling away and securing in the parking area. I am beginning to feel it needs to be a pay launch with a tender. Some other localities have a permit system with a modest yearly fee. That may be the answer.

I heard a saying 14 yrs ago when I started teaching: "You wonder why some (not all) kids act the way they do.....................then you meet their parents and you have the answer". :shock:

Some people are born a$$holes, and they pass it down through the family, then those family members buy a boat............and then you see them at the ramp, in the store, on the highway, etc, etc.

So ture
Waterwings said:
I heard a saying 14 yrs ago when I started teaching: "You wonder why some (not all) kids act the way they do.....................then you meet their parents and you have the answer". :shock:

Some people are born a$$holes, and they pass it down through the family, then those family members buy a boat............and then you see them at the ramp, in the store, on the highway, etc, etc.

So True..............

crazymanme2 said:
They don't care if your fishing or what their wake might do when they come blasting by.

yeah you're telling me! I had a guy come by in his wakeboard boat the other morning.. within 25 feet. Those things are MADE to make wake.. I had water near the top of my deck.. I wasn't expecting Great Lake waves... :roll:

Sadly, none of this is new. It's just getting worse because there are more people in general and thus, more on the water. People also seem to be a lot more ignorant theses days too !! :x

My Dad kept his boats slipped for the summers in Cape May, NJ back in the late 70's early 80's. He had a 30' sail he lived on and an 18' runabout he fished from. He would go down on Sunday nights or early Monday mornings and come back home Friday afternoon. Never stayed down there on the weekends. Too many people and too little courtesy for him to enjoy the water or the marina. And this was 30 years ago !!! :shock:

We get a lot of people fishing at the boat slip by me. They camp out there with chairs and rod holders. It is annoying to try to avoid lines and hooks and negotiate with the river current at the same time.

I think most people are completely ignorant to what is going on around them. I don't know how many times someone on a jetski has buzzed right by us while fishing.

To your original point, I have not gotten into any confrontations, but it would not surprise me if I did.

Here's one for ya, that also happened this week end. My family reunion was saturday. My wife, daughter and I stayed at lake Navarro Mills friday thru sunday morning. Saturday evening I decided to do a little shoreline fishing. I was fishing on the bank just down from a floating fishing dock. There was two young boys (one about 9-10 and the other early teens) fishing. They were joined by four drunk guys (all in late 20's early 30's). One of the drunks was stumbling around trying land a fish. In doing so he kicked these young lad's entire tackle box into the lake. I over heard the commotion. No appologies we offered, just one of them saying "It's too late for you to be up anyway." The boys left. As they left I met them at the dock and told them to get what ever they need out of my tackle box, and that they could fish as long as they liked. The younger of the two walked over to his campsite and informed his grandpa what had happened. When he returned with his grandpa (a man is his 60's, 5'3 maybe 160) . As he shook my hand I noticed an old faded Anchor, Eagle, & Globe tattoo on his forearm. We spoke for a few minutes until the park ranger arrived. The park ranger mediated what was a little tense situation. No action was taken. As he left I was dissapointed he didn't do more. Then to our suprise he returned momets late in a pair of shorts and a flashlight. He wade out into the water swam over to where it fell in and dissapeared beneath the water. He searched for about ten minutes and finaly surfaced with an empty tackled box, apparently it was open when it fell over and just about everything in it had spilled out. At that moment one of the drunks made a comment that I couldnt hear. It must not have been nice cause in a flash Grandpa had tossed him over the raling and into the water. The park ranger looked back at him and he said "He wanted to help." Grandpa then calmly reached own and help the drunk out of the water. He asked the guy which tackle box was his. The guy pointed it out. Granpa leaned down, opened it up, and said "yeah, that looks about right." He then handed the drunk the empty tackle box and left with one the was nice and full. The park ranger looked at me dumbfoundedly and I said "That why you dont mess with a Marine."

Nevillizer said:
Here's one for ya, that also happened this week end. My family reunion was saturday. My wife, daughter and I stayed at lake Navarro Mills friday thru sunday morning. Saturday evening I decided to do a little shoreline fishing. I was fishing on the bank just down from a floating fishing dock. There was two young boys (one about 9-10 and the other early teens) fishing. They were joined by four drunk guys (all in late 20's early 30's). One of the drunks was stumbling around trying land a fish. In doing so he kicked these young lad's entire tackle box into the lake. I over heard the commotion. No appologies we offered, just one of them saying "It's too late for you to be up anyway." The boys left. As they left I met them at the dock and told them to get what ever they need out of my tackle box, and that they could fish as long as they liked. The younger of the two walked over to his campsite and informed his grandpa what had happened. When he returned with his grandpa (a man is his 60's, 5'3 maybe 160) . As he shook my hand I noticed an old faded Anchor, Eagle, & Globe tattoo on his forearm. We spoke for a few minutes until the park ranger arrived. The park ranger mediated what was a little tense situation. No action was taken. As he left I was dissapointed he didn't do more. Then to our suprise he returned momets late in a pair of shorts and a flashlight. He wade out into the water swam over to where it fell in and dissapeared beneath the water. He searched for about ten minutes and finaly surfaced with an empty tackled box, apparently it was open when it fell over and just about everything in it had spilled out. At that moment one of the drunks made a comment that I couldnt hear. It must not have been nice cause in a flash Grandpa had tossed him over the raling and into the water. The park ranger looked back at him and he said "He wanted to help." Grandpa then calmly reached own and help the drunk out of the water. He asked the guy which tackle box was his. The guy pointed it out. Granpa leaned down, opened it up, and said "yeah, that looks about right." He then handed the drunk the empty tackle box and left with one the was nice and full. The park ranger looked at me dumbfoundedly and I said "That why you dont mess with a Marine."

Nice!

I haven't been in a fight since I put a guy on the bar (literally) in a restaurant about 9 years ago for hitting on my wife and making lude comments for the 3rd time in the same night.

I've nearly come to blows out on the water a few times after being swamped twice and people just being dicks in general.

They usually talk a good game until I troll up to them and stand up. :lol:

I have never gotten into it at the boat ramp but when I was a teenager, myself and a friend were fishing in a cove from the shore and this punk comes into the cove just spinning his jet ski all around. I hollar at him, he leaves but is back inb a couple of minutes. So I pick up some rocks and start chunking them at him and so does my friend. When he leaves this time he doesn't come back!!!!!

I almost came unglued about 20 years ago. It was the first time my wife actually saw me mad, and I was pissed. We were waiting for the old gentlemen in front of us to park in a spot that was being vacated. Some yahoo comes wiping in and takes the spot. Mind you it wasnt my spot, however this pissed me off to no end. I got out and closed the distance and verbally assulted the guy as he was opening his door. He fired back with what are you going to do about it? I said, nothing in my most forcefull voice, however if you come back to 4 flat tires it wasnt me! He paused, got in his car and left. The old man wanted to give me the spot, I told him no, it is yours, it just pisses me off when people act like dicks.

Mind you back in those days I was 2 years out of the Marine Corp Infantry, and had been working out every day. Im only 5'8" tall but weighed about 230, all lean mean fighting machine. Man was I pissed and this guy was really going to regret any physical contact. I was prepared to lift him off his feet and body slam him on his hood. I was pissed.

I'm not going to post it again, but here's a link to a near fight I once saw on a ramp: https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=5775

Violence is never the answer to petty problems. If my life or family is in danger that is one thing, otherwise it isn't worth getting worked up over. People are going to be idiots, I am not going to allow it to ruin my day. I just take my turn when it comes, even if I am pulling in front of the idiots trying to butt in. Just smile and wave. :mrgreen: What I really love is when the kayak and canoe guys pull up their boats onto the ramp and leave them there in the middle of the ramp while they go get their cars. It makes you want to back down with your eyes closed and say you didn't see it... But like I said, it isn't worth the extra stress and aggrivation to even worry about. I try to stay loose, and let it roll off. If nothing else, it helps me have a better time and be less of a crab to my family. :LOL2:

bAcKpAiN said:
Violence is never the answer to petty problems. If my life or family is in danger that is one thing, otherwise it isn't worth getting worked up over. People are going to be idiots, I am not going to allow it to ruin my day. I just take my turn when it comes, even if I am pulling in front of the idiots trying to butt in. Just smile and wave. :mrgreen: What I really love is when the kayak and canoe guys pull up their boats onto the ramp and leave them there in the middle of the ramp while they go get their cars. It makes you want to back down with your eyes closed and say you didn't see it... But like I said, it isn't worth the extra stress and aggrivation to even worry about. I try to stay loose, and let it roll off. If nothing else, it helps me have a better time and be less of a crab to my family. :LOL2:

I agree with this.

Latest posts