Parking etiquette...double standards anyone?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

azekologi

Reaction score
Ok, this one really frosts my bait...

From the few that I've shared my thoughts with only the boat owners really 'get it'; the non-owners understand my frustration, but don't really 'get the big picture'.

I often frequent our local 'urban' lake as it's only 10min from the house and big enough to really have some fun with the kid, family, etc. The downside (if you desire to look at it as such) is that it's a very large, mixed-use area (bicycling, skating, walking, playgrounds, picnic-ing, etc., etc.) which leads to people who don't understand all that's involved with 'boating culture'.

The parking area is quit ample, with some close parking (single vehicles, no trailers) near the staging area/ramp/docks (15 spaces or so), and a large lot a little further away (100-150 yards) for single vehicles (about 100 spaces) and vehicles with trailers (another 50 or so).

About 80% of the time we take the boat down to the lake I see a bunch of yahoos parking their Mini Coopers (or any passenger vehicle sans trailer really) in the 40' vehicle-trailer parking! [-X EVEN WHEN CLOSER SINGLE SPOTS ARE OPEN! REALLY!?! :evil: WHAT ARE THEY THINKING!?! #-o

I've been meaning to chat up the Park Ranger or Local Police when I see them down there to bring up my point, but haven't run into them since. They seem to overlook this problem and I'm sure (scratch that, POSITIVE), if I was to park my vehicle/trailer across 4-5 closer, single spots :twisted: I'd be ticketed without the Ranger/Officer thinking twice. (Hmm, double standard anyone?) [BTW, this is CITY PROPERTY, not private property).

I know that this is minor problem that is just one boaters thorn (er, hook) in his side, but really, are people that oblivious? It's hard enough for me to maneuver my rig/trailer around without dealing with this BS too!

What I don't get is that our city (state too) has A LOT of budget problems (AZ is closing highway rest stops and state parks due to budget shortfalls) yet this seems to be an overlooked opportunity to right a wrong by way of a warning, if not make money by ticketing these yahoos.

I've asked my buddy who's a DPS detective, and he agrees that I should bring it up to the local enforcement. He mentioned that since it's city property, the police have full right to issue tickets. As he used to be city cop, he cited it up to a) them not really seeing it as a problem when open spaces exist, or b) just being too lazy to write a ticket when they could drink a cup of joe and put away donuts like they're going out of style (his words, not mine :wink: ).

Does anyone else have this problem at their local watering hole? Or am I just an overly-particular, rule-following boater?

At two of the ramps I visit regularly, you get ticketed for parking in the wrong spot and for not showing proof of lauch fee being paid. It isn't a lot, but something.
I was on a half empty lot with my wife just watching the boats being recovered one evening (taking notes on how I can do it better) and was approached by an officer. I told him what I was doing and he was ok with me there, but I would have moved if anyone needed the spot anyway. Guess because I was still in the car, I didn't qualify for a ticket.

I saw one lot for parking that had spots for cars too. If you took 2 cars to the launch and only launched one boat, you still had to pay 2 launch fees. Otherwise your car got ticketed.

Maybe they just need to be informed of the collection opportunity?

The min ramp that I use on the river has a sign that states NO SINGLE CARS IN THIS AREA ON WEEKENDS and boy do they enforce it. they will try to write a ticket to the non boaters that are only picking up their tackle from the boats they fished from during the day .
My big issue is when I travel to a tournament and come home from the ramp and find my cover,cone and extension cord all moved from the spot in front of my room and find a non fisherman staying in the room next to mine parked there.
when that happens I am extra noisy the following morning Around 3am to be sure the regret the parking error they made

My park never enforces it, I just stare at people like they are stupid. If I ever get there and all the spaces are gone if have contemplated parking in front of them horizontally to see if they get the picture.

Take pictures of what you are seeing, and show it to one of the park rangers. You may find out who you could email if you can't track them down in person, and send it. Then (if you can) follow up with a phone call making sure they received it. Folks seem to be more attentive when (A) it's documented, and (B) there's proof.

We used to be able to launch our boats and then pull the trailer up the ramp and go directly (a straight shot) to a grassy area to park. Everyone would park side-by-side, allowing distance between each vehicle/trailer, so that you easily back down to the ramp with very minimal turning while backing. It was real convenient. This year there is no parking on the grass, and there is limited parking (unless you get there extremely early) on the asphalt adjacent to the ramp. Makes it a PITA to get to the ramp to retrieve the boat now.

I understand your pain. :mrgreen:

I've never experienced your pain, most of my fishing locations are single use, fishing. :mrgreen:

We do get single cars in the parking lot (shore fishermen), however all the parking spots are for truck/trailer. Single vehicles double up in the spot. Maybe you should ask the ranger to have all the spots striped for truck/trailer and let the cars figure it out. :mrgreen:

Thanks all, I appreciate the words of encouragement and advice. Next time I'm out there I'll make sure to snap some pics with the digicam and to look out for the Ranger/Police. The lake has a marina office and whatnot so I'll make sure to bring up my grief with them too.

Hopefully someone will listen, and I'd love to see some enforcement happen!

I'll post and update when I have some more information.

Latest posts