Craziest thing happened

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

switchback

Reaction score
Well, me and a buddy went night fishing Saturday night. We went down to the river and set out some jugs and then went out in the river and anchored down. His anchor rope was damaged so he tied off to my boat. We both had about 3 rods apiece over the side and floating lights.

After a few hours of catching fish, something jerks my rod off the boat and I see the bobber floating away from the back of the boat, the only one with a bobber on it. Heading toward deeper water (didn't have it secured good). I was like man that sucks, but at least it was my crappy cheap back up rod and reel. Then I go to rig my fourth rod and realize it wasn't the crappy one, it was one of my new rods and newest reel. I was sick.

After about 2 1/2 hours pass. I get a fish and start reeling it in. I feel some resistance and see another weight. I tell my buddy, I think it got me wrapped around one of my other lines. Grab my other rod and give me some slack. He says, your not hung on this one. I keep reeling it up and the fish comes up and a few more hooks.... you guessed it. My rod and reel that got snatched off the boat. I couldn't believe it. Everything was tangled up and had to cut everything loose. I guess maybe the rod got pushed back toward us by the current and the bobber had the line floating upward and the fish ran with the other line and got it wrapped.

What ever happened, I was amazed and relieved at the same time. Last week I hooked a perfectly good cast net at my favorite fishing lake.

When I as a kid, my brothers and I used to fish for bullheads below a dam on a river in southern MN. We'd put on a really fat blob of worm and a heavy sinker and let the hook sit on the bottom with our rod propped up on a log. One time one of my brothers cast out, hooked my rod and it went sailing out into the river. That was the end of fishing for me. About an hour later the same brother reels in and has my rod by the tip. Incredibly his hook managed to snag the guide on the tip of my rod and I was back in business again. It's pretty amazing things like that happen.

I've often fished flowage lakes in northern MN and have lost lots of tackle in the forest of stumps under the water. It would be very cool to see the lakes partially drained down - you could go out and harvest snagged lures and make a fortune selling them as collectibles on Ebay.

That's crazy.

I found one last year laying on the bottom within 4 feet of a catfish hole. I suspect a scenario much like yours probably happened (except the getting it back part, of course). :lol:

That's pretty cool. I've picked several lures out when the water is clear and picked a nice short stiff Daiwa rod last year. Polished the marine growth off and ended up putting a new Rapala reel on (it was cheap and spun really nice) and now I use it for cranks that smack the bottom.

Jamie

Don't know if you guys are up for another amazing story or not.... When I was probably 7 years old, my dad, mom, and my uncle all went overnight catfishing at Indian Lake (Ohio) and we had a campfire, tents, etc, set up on the bank. My mom brewed coffee for my dad and my uncle, and who knows why but she had brought her "best set" of coffee mugs for the trip. While drinking, my uncle had set his down on seawall and of course, it got kicked in the lake. So we fished onto until the morning, and after the trip was over, my dad was reeling in his line for the last time and of course - there was my mom's coffee mug - with the handle secured into the treble hook! Just one of those strokes of luck I guess!

Lucky break for sure :mrgreen:

A story my mom always told me was about my great uncle or someone 40 years ago. The story doesn't end quite as well as yours though :lol:

He got down to his beach house on a saltwater creek and went fishing the first day. His first catch was a brand new rod and reel, so new that it wasn't locked up from being in the water or anything. He cleaned it up and caught fish all week on it. Everyone was packing up to leave at the end of the week, but he wanted to wet a line one more time. He got out on the dock on the creek to cast out for the last time, and he accidentally threw the rod and reel back into the creek, where it was too deep to retrieve :lol:

bobberboy said:
I've often fished flowage lakes in northern MN and have lost lots of tackle in the forest of stumps under the water. It would be very cool to see the lakes partially drained down - you could go out and harvest snagged lures and make a fortune selling them as collectibles on Ebay.

What I wouldn't give to find some old tins at the bottom of the lake....now THAT would be a story!! (What pound test do think that would take?)

FishinsMyLife said:
Lucky break for sure :mrgreen:

A story my mom always told me was about my great uncle or someone 40 years ago. The story doesn't end quite as well as yours though :lol:

He got down to his beach house on a saltwater creek and went fishing the first day. His first catch was a brand new rod and reel, so new that it wasn't locked up from being in the water or anything. He cleaned it up and caught fish all week on it. Everyone was packing up to leave at the end of the week, but he wanted to wet a line one more time. He got out on the dock on the creek to cast out for the last time, and he accidentally threw the rod and reel back into the creek, where it was too deep to retrieve :lol:

The River giveth and the River taketh away...That's a really funny story.