Computer question again

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shamoo

Reaction score
I cant run my defrag until I run chkdsk f, I cant figure it out, I go to "my computer", click on the disk I want to check and a drop screen suppose to drop, it doesnt, the only thing that shows up is a bunch of folders and some other crap, I know this is going to be hard believe but could I be doing something wrong?, you guys know how COMPUTER SAVY I AM!!!!!

go download auslogics disk defragmenter - works 10 times better than the windows defrag.

Just do a search for it... don't get any of the other stuff they try to get you to download - you have to buy it, and this will take care of it all for you.

Then download and run spybot - that one will take a couple of hours to run, so do it before you go to bed

If your computer guy would have returned your call you would have had this fixed a week ago :oops:

Sorry man, work and coaching have taken up all of my time. When I have an extra hour on my hands I then have to umpire games. ](*,)

Thats OK Mr. Bill, My computer crashed, I had a bad Ram, and got that dreaded blue screen virus, to remove the viruses and put in a new Ram cost $150.00. Norton still telling me I should up my memory, I have like 725 whatevers which computer guy said is plenty also to run chkdsk.

yea that is enough memory.
To run chkdsk do the following:
Click the START button (Bottom Left of the screen)
Click the Run (for Win XP and I think Vista) or Search Programs and Files box (Search for Win 7)
type in CMD, then at the DOS prompt chkdsk /f /r, this will fix any problems, and also move bad segments to good segments, while marking the bad stuff bad.
You will need to restart your pc, and it may take a while to come back up, but the screen will give you status. Be patient and let it run its course. If there are too many corrupted files, then it may blue-screen, but this is the best way to find out.
Let me know if this makes sense.
Ron

bad1 said:
Click the Run (for Win XP and I think Vista) or Search Programs and Files box (Search for Win 7)
type in CMD, then at the DOS prompt chkdsk /f /r, this will fix any problems, and also move bad segments to good segments, while marking the bad stuff bad.
You will need to restart your pc, and it may take a while to come back up, but the screen will give you status. Be patient and let it run its course. If there are too many corrupted files, then it may blue-screen, but this is the best way to find out.
Ron
Makes perfect sense Ron. Just not to Mr. 'moo. :LOL2: :wink:

I don't know who sold you the RAM, but if you are running XP you need a minimum of a Gig, "1024 MB", for your machine to perform properly. If you are running Windows 7 two "2048MB", or three, "3072MB" Gigs of RAM, (Random Access Memory) is required for your machine to run properly, depending on which version of Windows 7 you are running.

I recommend windows 7 Ultimate, it's a great operating system, I'm running it with a 32bit, P4, 3.06 processor, and I have 3 gigs of Ram installed.

If you install it yourself, you can buy a two Gigs of RAM at WalMart for $48.48 https://www.walmart.com/search/sear...earch_query=RAM&Find.x=17&Find.y=13&Find=Find

RAM is cheap now https://www.bestbuy.com/site/Computer-Memory/Desktop-Memory/abcat0506001.c?id=abcat0506001, compared to the price a few years ago, and it only takes a few minutes to install.

It's uncommon for all of your RAM to go bad at once, that's if you had more than one dimm. The RAM does not hold information once your computer is turned off. That's why it's called RAM. It's just Random Access Memory. The dimm retains information while your machine is running. When your computer is turned off, the information on the RAM is erased.

Good luck with your PC!

DocWatson said:
bad1 said:
Ron
Makes perfect sense Ron. Just not to Mr. 'moo. :LOL2: :wink:
:LOL2: :LOL2: Doc knows me all too well :LOL2:

Popeye said:
So how much memory should I have on my 386DX running Windows for Workgroups 3.1?
Not much. That system was brain dead out of the box. :LOL2:

But probably no more than 16-32 MB.

JRHOADES20 said:
Popeye said:
So how much memory should I have on my 386DX running Windows for Workgroups 3.1?

hmm 4mb recommended???
Microsoft also said XP would run on 128 MB of RAM. :roll: While true, you can't do anything with the computer. True minimum for XP is more like 512 MB with the sweet spot being around 2 GB.

My old Win 98 box with a 486 had 96 MB of RAM and ran like a champ until I started burning CDs and doing high end graphics work with Photoshop.

So you're saying that Vista or Windows 7 wouldn't be a good upgrade for my i386 DX2 and 512 MB ram? :lol:

We need a pot stirring icon thingy :mrgreen:

Latest posts