Impressive gas mileage

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Quackrstackr

Reaction score
Even though they were driving it like granny, I am impressed!

This engine makes 310 hp to boot.

Ford engineers squeeze out 48.5 mpg in a 2011 Mustang
June 25, 2010

It took 1,457 laps around a track, but Ford Motor Co. set a benchmark for the Mustang and made a point: A muscle car can be fuel efficient.

The automaker took a 2011 Ford Mustang with a V-6 engine to Bristol Speedway in Tennessee this week to see if the car could run 1,000 laps and 533 miles on a single tank of gas.

A team of five, taking turns behind the wheel, drove -- carefully -- for nearly 18 hours to make the most of every drop of fuel.

The payoff: The car passed the 1,000-lap mark with a quarter of a tank to spare.

"To see a Mustang post average fuel economy of 48.5 mpg while running at Bristol is impressive," said Dave Pericak, Mustang chief engineer, crediting the car's new V-6 mated to an advanced six-speed transmission.

Achieving that performance required a different approach to driving.

Drivers tried to forgo air conditioning, avoided sudden stops and starts and kept the engine revs low with steady, consistent driving. Average speed, according to Ford: 43.9 mph.

The vehicle was equipped with a lightweight 3.7-liter V-6, dual-overhead cams, twin independent variable camshaft timing and other engineering advances available on any Mustang.

"This is beyond our wildest dreams," said Tom Barnes, the lead engineer for the lap challenge.

"It was great when we went past the 1,000 lap mark with David, but nobody could ever imagine that we still had five hours ahead of us."

Ford has been pursuing its EcoBoost fuel-efficiency strategy for years. Every aspect of a car is scrutinized for its contribution to improving mileage, and technologies have been developed to get more power and performance from smaller engines.

What they forgot to tell you was that they went through two transmissions and a power steering pump on that same tank of gas :shock: :shock: :shock:

They weren't driving a Dodge...

Pretty nice exhaust note for a V6, too.

[youtube]<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="https://www.youtube.com/v/WPyluzHt8E4&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="https://www.youtube.com/v/WPyluzHt8E4&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>[/youtube]

Yeah that is great gas mileage but if I would have been one of the drivers I would have had to run that baby up to about 120 and make that hard left into that steeply banked turn! At least once. Just like the sprint cup guys do. :D

Typically, this area where I live is heavily saturated with Chevy pickups, however, starting to see a major increase of the newer Ford pickups around here. 8)

Lots of the new Mustangs around here also.

I'm definitely a Ford pickup guy, but my wife drives an '07 Nissan Altima, which gets excellent mileage. I'm gettin' 22 mpg (Triton V8) on the open road and the a/c running. I'm happy with it. :)

normal_Truck1copy_-_Copy.jpg

I get about 18-19 mpg on the open road in my 03' GMC 4x4 ext. cab. And that is doing the math, not just reading the inaccurate on board screen!!! They usually read 3 to 5 mpg off.

Anyways I got a GM becuase I needed a truck, not a economy vehicle or a sportscar....... though I do like the looks of that lightning. =D>

Waterwings said:
perchin said:
I get about 18-19 mpg on the open road in my 03' GMC 4x4 ext. cab. And that is doing the math, not just reading the inaccurate on board screen!!! They usually read 3 to 5 mpg off...

I go by the onboard screen.......it makes me feel better, lol.

yeah.... my onboard screen likes to read right at about 21mpg a lot.

Really I'm not too partial to either GM or Ford....... What I really want is my buddy's new Toyota. =P~

Latest posts