What is a good family taxi?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Crankworm

Reaction score
Just thought I would throw this out and see what everyone else is rolling in. My family is going to be doubling in size this fall and I am forced to sell my beloved F-150. I am looking for some input on family movers, We will have the wife, me, two kids, and a dog. I have been looking at minivans but from what it looks I will be lucky to get 21-22 mpg with a V-6, if thats the case I would rather drive an Expedition or Suburban. heck the diesel Excursions are averaging 20. Is a minivan that much more practical then an suv? I'm not happy with the idea of tradin my truck in for a van but Ya gotta do what ya gotta do. Just looking for some input by someone thats been there.

My wife refused the minivan thing. :LOL2:

We ended up with a 2005 Honda Pilot with 23k miles. What an awesome vehicle. 3 rows, plenty of power, all wheel drive, and no issues so far having owned it for 2 years.

We refused the mini van too.... I have an F150 and we can travel comfortably in it w/ 2 kids. We also have a Mountaineer w/ third row seating which is awesome!

My wife has a mini van. We have 3 kids and a dog. The great thing about a van (I can't believe I just said that) is the sliding doors. Putting kids in and getting them out is a breeze. Of course I have my truck still :wink:

Crankworm said:
Just thought I would throw this out and see what everyone else is rolling in. My family is going to be doubling in size this fall and I am forced to sell my beloved F-150. I am looking for some input on family movers, We will have the wife, me, two kids, and a dog.

Sounds like it's time to step into a crew cab F-150 to me. 8)

Quackrstackr said:
Crankworm said:
Just thought I would throw this out and see what everyone else is rolling in. My family is going to be doubling in size this fall and I am forced to sell my beloved F-150. I am looking for some input on family movers, We will have the wife, me, two kids, and a dog.

Sounds like it's time to step into a crew cab F-150 to me. 8)

This is what we use, works well with me, the wife, daughter and two more passengers. You can fit three car seats in the back. Problem will be MPG. I would suggest looking at an expedition or suburban. Also check into the Toyota Sequoia. I have a good friend who has one. It is a little smalled inside wise that the Ford / GM large SUV's but it comes with a V8, optional third row seating and get decent MPG and has a good track record on reliability.

Minivan AND crew cab.

We've had a F-150, Ford and Chevy full size vans, SUV's and minivans. The minivans are the best for family traveling by far. You have all sorts of room to move/stretch in-driving 1000 miles is no problem. I can fit plywood in it if I need to haul it. My avg mpg is 18-19 mpg combined driving with the 3.8 liter in my dodge grand caravan. It's 17mpg when towing the boat.

If you haven't tried one, there is pleanty of leg room even for me - loading the kids is a snap - and just step on the gas, they actually have decent pickup for a V-6

I do wish I had my F-150 back though - just for me to drive.

Two kids, and a dog...plus any number of their friend/team mates tagging along. Love my Grand Caravan for all this. Still have my 4 door Dodge 1500 for the boat and whatever I need to haul. We've comfortably taken trips 4-5 hours in the truck too and done just fine.

Full size GMC/Rockwood conversion van.Has fuel injected 5.7(350cid),TH-700R tranny,full power and front-rear A/C,4 Captain's chairs and rear bench/bed.Hauls 7 people comfortably.Hauls the boat really well,PLUS it hauls butt.Even while towing the boat.Don't even ask about gas mileage,I have no idea the MPGs,I don't really care.It does what I want it to do.

S&MFISH said:
Full size GMC/Rockwood conversion van.Has fuel injected 5.7(350cid),TH-700R tranny,full power and front-rear A/C,4 Captain's chairs and rear bench/bed.Hauls 7 people comfortably.Hauls the boat really well,PLUS it hauls butt.Even while towing the boat.Don't even ask about gas mileage,I have no idea the MPGs,I don't really care.It does what I want it to do.

Does it have shag carpet and a cool airbrushed mural on the sides or back?

Sorry, I had to. :lol:

Is your F-150 a regular cab????? I have 2001 GMC extended cab Z71 and have plenty of room. Would think if you have an extended cab F-150 that you would have plenty of room also. If you want a vehicle with good mpg, low cost ins. low cost maint. with very few mechanical issue and repairs are cheap when what few happen, get you a Ford Taurus. We have had 2 in the last 12 yrs. and have had nothing but a great expereince with both of them. It is not a full size car but being mid size it is fun an easy to drive almost anywhere with plenty of power.

Quackrstackr said:
S&MFISH said:

Does it have shag carpet and a cool airbrushed mural on the sides or back?

Sorry, I had to. :lol:

:LOL2: :LOL2: :LOL2: That's funny!!!!!! :LOL2: :LOL2:

lswoody said:
Is your F-150 a regular cab????? I have 2001 GMC extended cab Z71 and have plenty of room. Would think if you have an extended cab F-150 that you would have plenty of room also. If you want a vehicle with good mpg, low cost ins. low cost maint. with very few mechanical issue and repairs are cheap when what few happen, get you a Ford Taurus. We have had 2 in the last 12 yrs. and have had nothing but a great expereince with both of them. It is not a full size car but being mid size it is fun an easy to drive almost anywhere with plenty of power.

Must be that I and most the other people I know who have had em got lucky..... I replaced the tranny in it 2 times, my in-laws replaced a tranny, and a friend of mine has just had issues with his. Mine was a 2001, and boy was I glad to see her go. :wink:

If I had a larger family I would step up to a excursion with a stroke. My last suv was a 05 crd jeep liberty and I liked it a lot, On several trips I averaged 30 plus mpg. 26 mpg average while pulling a 18 foot bayliner. After I wrecked it we went with a 07 gasser liberty thats gets 18 city 23 highway avg. that hates life pulling trailers. Wish I still had the crd but what can ya do. Excursions are hugh and hungry beasts, I drove a newer one for work from here to dallas and it only averaged 12mpg. No trailer or nothing, just 8k pounds of steel and diesel. I liked it though, Made me want one.

perchin said:
lswoody said:

Must be that I and most the other people I know who have had em got lucky..... I replaced the tranny in it 2 times, my in-laws replaced a tranny, and a friend of mine has just had issues with his. Mine was a 2001, and boy was I glad to see her go. :wink:

Ditto that, I have a 99(?) Mercury Sable (sister to Taurus) that has been nothing but problems. I'm going to try to sell teh beast next week - the only good thing is the A/C still works.

Latest posts