Jim's Buzzbaits/Spro Dawg 100: Part II

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SMDave

Reaction score
This is a joint part II review of Jim's Buzzbaits and Spro Dawg 100. I will review the performance of the lures in the water.

First up: Jim's Buzzbait.
Setup: Bass Pro Shops Extreme Woo Daves series baitcast rod (6'6" M power), Bass Pro Shops Extreme baitcast reel (6.1:1 or 6.3:1 gear ratio), and 30 lb. test Power Pro braided line (moss green).

Overview:
See part I for the features this buzzbait has. This buzzbait performs very well in the water. For one, I find this custom built buzzbait easier to "slow roll" than traditional buzzbaits (I am comparing this lure to Booyah's Buzzbait, and Strike King's Bleeding Series Buzzbait). I think this is because the flat bottom of the head provides more lift than round jigheads. Also, the blade of the buzzbait spins with less effort than traditional blades, which in turn creates more lift. The buzzbait is perfectly tuned out of the package; well almost. It does track a little to the right, but nothing a little turn of the wire can't fix. The wire is thin enough to bend easily, but won't bend when casting or snagging. The buzzbait lacks a clacker, so you can use it for more finessey presentations, and also, the lack of a clacker lets the blade move more freely (more lift, easier to slow roll), but not to fear; if you want a clacker, simply bend the wire with the blade down so if it spun, it would just tap the wire. This makes the buzzbait lose its effectiveness as a slow roll buzzbait.

Action
23/25
-This lure almost runs perfectly, but you will need to tune it a little. Nothing major though.
-This lure is easy to slow roll, yet performs flawlessly when burning.

Features
25/25
-Many innovative features, including flat head, thin head design (aerodynamic), flashy red eyes, great skirt material.
-Red flashes from eyes could be seen from me, fishing from the bank, buzzbait approximately 30 or so feet away from me.
-Overall, very sturdy design, quality materials.

Hook
25/25
-Sticky sharp hook, I am guessing a Gamakatsu? It is very beefy, chrome, and looks pretty much impossible to bend or dull. After constant snagging, the point remained sharp. It is also, because of it's size, a great compliment to the skirt length.

Jighead
25/25
-The jighead is very detailed. The scales are very visible, the gills are flared and red, and the eyes are a very reflective red.
-Very durable paint.

Conclusion: I think this is a great buzzbait, it provides many features, some I have never seen. It is perfect for any condition you can fish a buzzbait in, whether you want to slow roll or burn it. The components are top quality, and the jighead manufacturer kept close attention to detail. The action of this bait is great, provides a great wake, and has some squeak. You can add a clacker by bending the wire and blade if you want to.

98/100 = 98%

I highly recommend this bait, and Jim, this is incredible worksmanship for a first-timer.

Now, the Spro Dawg 100.
MSRP: $7-$8
Setup: Bass Pro Shops Extreme Woo Daves series baitcast rod (6'6" M power), Bass Pro Shops Extreme baitcast reel (6.1:1 or 6.3:1 gear ratio), and 30 lb. test Power Pro braided line (moss green).

Overview
For the money, this lure can't be beat. It features very sharp Gamakatsu treble hooks, a very bouyant body, and details and colors that are IDENTICAL to Lucky Craft's colors, but for 2-3 times less. When I fished this lure for the first time, my sole intention was to learn how to walk the dog with it. It took me only 3 casts to get it. I don't know whether it is because of this lure's craftsmanship or not, but this lure is definitely high quality. I have never used a Lucky Craft Sammy, so I do not know how to compare, but this lure is unbelievable for the price. It is slender, sits tail down, and never sinks despite how hard you jerk it. This also makes it a great lure to use around structure and weeds, without worrying of getting hung up.

Action
25/25
-The action of this bait is unbelievable for the price, always floats right, hook placement far enough not to tangle the line, and the slender body cuts through water easily. The body always sits in the water, head up, nose bobbing out of the water. Using braided line, a simply flick of the wrist will sned this guy twitching, where jerks will rip this lure around. Unbelievable action, high buoyancy.

Colors
25/25
-The colors are identical to Lucky Crafts, if anything, shinier and more "brilliant."
hardbait.jpg

This picture shows the difference between the Spro Dawg 100 in Old Glory (2nd row down), and a Lucky Craft Pointer SP100 in American Shad jerkbait (3rd row down).

Hooks
25/25
-The hooks are Gamaktsu trebles. The name alone incinuates sticky sharp hooks, and they are. Although I haven't caught a fish on it yet, I know this hook is just as sharp as the Lucky Craft hooks. They seem very strong too. They are in black chrome. Gamaktsu hooks; 'nuff said.

Features
25/25
-Nothing too special, super dazzling paint scheme, reflective eyes, very good quality craftsmanship, and rattles. Simple, yet I know it will catch fish.

Conclusion:
I have only used this lure for a short period, just to test it out. But even before I tested it out, I knew from the paint scheme the lure would be amazing. And it is. The hooks are razor sharp, and the lure is very bouyant, and sits very attractively in the water, tail down. The bait is slim enough to cut through water easily, yet has a beefy profile from below. All in all, I definitely recommend this bait. In my opinion, it is top in its class for the price range.

100/100

What the hell!!!! no discount?????????? J/K

SMDave, YOU do those on your own? if you do... nice job!!! :D

MARINE0321 said:
What the hell!!!! no discount?????????? J/K

SMDave, YOU do those on your own? if you do... nice job!!! :D
Yes, I do. Thanks! Well, if you're talking about the review :oops:

Latest posts