Those that scrap metals; question

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FishingBuds

Reaction score
I have my old dinosaure central air (the outside)unit and it has a huge aluminum radiator with the copper tubing that runs thru it, is it worth scraping by itself for cash or is it not worth much?

Should I just give it to a fella that collects the scrap metal. I've never done any scrapping except aluminum cans, and was told this is worth alot of money, but have been told bull before.

I know its a corny question but thats why its cool here i can ask these questions and ya guys help me out here and there :D

I would scrap it myself. I would say if you just take it to them the way it is they will price is as a radiator. Free money in a way.

some scrap yards will take it as is but its worth way more if you separate the copper from the alluminum. grab a sazzall and start hackin! oyu wont get rich but extra $$$ never hurts.

The steel may or may not be worth it (just a few bucks per hundred pounds), but the aluminum and copper definitely is. I know that aluminum is high (relatively speaking) right now. Can't say for certain on the copper, but it's always high compared to anything else.

At the very least, yank the big radiator out, and give the rest to the scrap guy.

It's worth it as long as your tear apart yourself and have access to a pickup truck of something suitable to haul in.

Let me say that as an accountant, I see lots of incomes and true proftabiliy. I have several scrap yards as clients and they make MILLIONS! Even after paying out top dollar for raw materials. So yes, I'd scrap it and take the cash. You can separate the metals or take less money and let them do it.

Thanks guys, Im not in the scrapping buisness so if its only worth a few bucks after going thru all that then its not worth he time to me.

Thanks for clearing that up for me 8)

dont know how big your unit is but my buddys in the hvac biz say they get 20-50 bucks a unit from the copper lines and coils. they dont fool with any of the aluminum parts

FishingBuds said:
Thanks guys, Im not in the scrapping buisness so if its only worth a few bucks after going thru all that then its not worth he time to me.

Any money is worth it. Why give it to someone else to put some cash in their pocket? We have trucks come around all the time looking for scrap metal. They even started stealing stuff from right at the back door of our shop to get copper wire. Talk about taking money right out of your pocket. They stole several hundred bucks worth of copper cable over the course of a few months. We each thought the other person was taking it to scrap it, until I caught the people who were doing it.

cavman138 said:
FishingBuds said:

Any money is worth it. Why give it to someone else to put some cash in their pocket? We have trucks come around all the time looking for scrap metal. They even started stealing stuff from right at the back door of our shop to get copper wire. Talk about taking money right out of your pocket. They stole several hundred bucks worth of copper cable over the course of a few months. We each thought the other person was taking it to scrap it, until I caught the people who were doing it.

Sorry but NO, and as for letting someone else have a few bucks, its just the kind of man I'am.

But a thief I have no sympathy for [-X

I recycle all my metal. I use the money for fishing, bait, gas, lures, etc.

I have an old stove, water heater, engine block (2), Dodge Ram rear axle, numerous brake rotors/drums to haul in. Plus a bunch of copper pipe, and about 3 garbage bags full of aluminum cans, oh and an aluminum engine block from my old riding mower.

Last time I hauled in old aluminum wondows and got like $50.
I dont remember what I got for my old furnace and a/c unit.

Latest posts