Brillo Pads

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kentuckybassman

Reaction score
Just wondering if you guys ever used Brillo pads or equivalent to, on your chrome wheels? The wheels on my truck still look good but I noticed they are starting to get a little rust from dirt/salt and stuff and I wondered if these pads would do any longterm damage to the wheels? Or maybe scratch em up ? I didn't want to just go out and srart cleaning them and take a chance of ruining them. :shock:

Attachments

• Jan-March 07 076.jpg
    Jan-March 07 076.jpg
    845.9 KB · Views: 575
Have you tried mothers chrome polish first? By hand it can get off small rust spots, big/heavier ones get a rotary tool and polish bit.

I would avoid using the Brillo also the chrome polish would be my first choice.

brillo will scratch the rims and cause a bigger rust issue

go to the auto store and buy rim and tire cleaner (comes in a spray bottle). theres different types, but the one i like (EAGLE ONE: All wheel & tire cleaner.) its says that all you have to do is "spray on and hose off". but what i do is spray it on, leave it on for a minute, then i take a sponge or a rag and clean them by hand, then rinse em off...

quick and easy

I've used Brillo pads in the past for chrome rims, bicycle fenders, etc., if it's just very light rust spots, and not applying a lot of pressure when scrubbing. Naval Jelly is also supposed to remove rust, and you could probably use a nylon/plastic-type scrubby to apply it. A chrome cleaner/polish found in the auto dept at Walmart or somewhere may be the better choice though. The chrome these days doesn't seem as durable as what was made in the "old" days, lol.