How many of y'all are going to a boat show?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bassboy1

TinBoats Sponsor
Reaction score
I went to the Atlanta one today, and had quite a bit of fun their. I came in their looking for a few specifics, and got all the answers I wanted on that regard. Also stayed and watched a few seminars.

Originally, 2 guides on my local lake, both of which own a message board that I am a member of, and both of which that I have met, were going to do seminars, but apparently they couldn't make it, so a few others filled in. I learned a lot on trolling with umbrella rigs for stripers. I had learned a little on them before, but now I am way ahead of the game. Also watched a few green fish seminars, and became sold on using scents on soft plastics. They had a 35 foot long tank, on a fifth wheel trailer, with a whole bunch of largies, and spots in it, that was used for demonstrations.

Although I got the information I wanted, it wasn't really centered on aluminum boats, just bass boats in general, and I got much of it from fiberglass bass rigs. But, I was a little disappointed in the aluminum selection. They had Trackers, a couple G3s, some Starcraft boats, and a SeaArk.
I am not trying to make this a review as I wasn't really searching around the boats with that purpose, but I feel like typing right now. In the future, we could all do personal reviews on them, if anyone goes to different ones, and could compile them together, since Jim was wanting some reviews at one point.
I looked at the trackers once, and still hate them - if not more than before. I have never been a huge fan of their quality.
The G3s were somewhat disappointing. I had never seen one on the lake, but until recently, had only heard good things about them. But, the quality of the two that were their was lacking, at best.
The Starcrafts were a bit surprising. Now, being that I deal mostly in older boats, when I hear Starcraft, I envision a 17 foot almost deep vee, from the early 70s. They were mediocre, and these days they are a dime a dozen. I wouldn't pass up a deal on one, but I would in no way search for one. I knew they were still made, but never really thought much about them. But, they had 2 bass boats, and a deep vee their. These boats were nice. They were well laid out, and well constructed. I was real pleased with them, and if I ever went for a new bass boat, I would look real at them.
The sea ark was a purely utilitarian 20ish foot work boat. It had a small deck in the bow and stern, with storage, and was a center console, but it was all aluminum, and had diamond plate middle deck. If someone wanted a 20 foot mod v boat to modify, this would be it. This thing just begged for modification.
I also poked around many of the glass bass boats, and really found a lot of undesirable stuff on them. I will gladly stick with aluminum.
Have any of y'all seen that pontoon bass boat? It is something like 18 feet, tritoons, with a 115 or so on it. But, it has a helm, and buddy console, with raised casting decks, with pedestal chairs. Now, why a raised deck you say? Solely for the storage. This thing is now an effective bass boat, with storage, and livewells. Very interesting, to say the least.
They had Honda 4 strokes, Yammy 2 stroke HPDIs, and 4 strokes, and they had Etecs. These were the motor company exhibits. The boats also had Suzukis, and Mercs. Honda sponsored all the fishing seminars and all, so their presence was heavy. The Yammies were just on stands. But the Etecs had an interesting thing. There were a few 115s in tanks, around the place, with just a key, a kill switch, and a tach on the tank. It is to demonstrate how quiet the motor is, and how low it idles. I cranked one of those things up, and couldn't hear the engine start - I thought I was still hearing the starter. At idle, it was real quiet when right up near it, and when the salesman said to step away 10 feet, to simulate the distance from the console to the motor, it couldn't be heard. I mean, this 115 puts my little 4 horse to shame, and my little four is a rather quiet motor in and of itself.
Well worth the trip, I'd say. And, being that I am 14 (even though everyone says I look 16, since I am 6'3") salesmen didn't bother me when I was alone. I got to poke around, without the pressure to buy. I guess I don't look rich enough. :D
Sorry for the long post.

Our shows are coming up in a few weeks, but it sounds like it's a traveling show because we get the same 35 foot tank and very few tin boats. I will let you know if I see anything out of the ordinary.

Jim said:
Our shows are coming up in a few weeks, but it sounds like it's a traveling show because we get the same 35 foot tank and very few tin boats. I will let you know if I see anything out of the ordinary.
For the most part, it is. The local guides doing seminars are going to be different, and the local vendors will be too, but many of the things will be similar.

I wished they had Alumacraft, and Lowe boats as well. I have always held Lowe in fairly high regard, and of course, love my Alumacraft. It is very well built. But, I can't really give Alumacraft a quality comparison, cause if I compared mine, it would be to brand new boats, and 20 years can make a big difference. So, it is an apples to oranges comparison. Of course, they wouldn't have Lunds down here - not enough market for them. Heck, we don't even have a Lund dealer in all of Ga.

No "local" shows coming to this area, unless you include one scheduled in Nashville (2- 2.5 hrs from here), and one in Louisville (3 hrs) from here. No plans for attending either of them.

Bassboy 1, in a lake up north Jersey I saw a 19' pontoon with twin 3 hp minn kota trolling motors hooked up to the back, that was pretty cool

Fishin NJ said:
I looked into this system last season, this was short lived once i found out pricing.. Very cool idea though.

https://www.minnkotamotors.com/products/motors/detail.asp?pg=edrive
I recently saw a Ray electric motor for sale on a local hunting board. They had one of them there too. It is 60 volts, and runs off of 5, or 10 batteries. 360 pounds of thrust, and supposedly 8 horsepower. They had it on a toon at the show. I don't see it useful on a jon, as once you get to about 5 mph, or the hull speed of the boat, you aren't going to go any faster, until jumping on plane, and I don't see a jon jumping on plane with an electric motor, and 5 or so batteries. Some 24 volt motors will get a 14 footer to its hull speed, or at least near it.

at the show i went to the price of boats have gone way up. i would take a tin boat and make 10 payments on a house for what they wanted