$100 For a parking ticket?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Crankworm

Reaction score
DNR gave me a parking ticket yesterday apperantly the grass next to the boat ramp parking spots isn't for parking even though there was two others already there. Called this morning and found out it is a $100 fine! WTF? A hundred dollars for parking in the grass at a state park? I wish they would have told me I couldn't park there! I can't believe it a $100 parking ticket!

Might as well go ahead and pay it.

If it is like it is here, it's $100 because that's what court costs will be even if you get it thrown out. They're going to get their $ one way or the other.

they should have had it posted. but live and learn
here they gave out over 50 tickets for parking on the grass or single cars in boat trailer spots but never closed the access when the lot was full

like stated the state needs the money and will do what ever it takes to get it

call or go and talk to the person who wrote the ticket... if it's not posted, you could plead the 5th and get it knocked down in fine or he may tear it up.

I got a $75 ticket for parking my car (not truck) without paying the $4 charge and put the slip ticket on my rearview mirror. The reason I didn't pay was because I wasn't planning on staying, but some random guy invited me to fish with him in his boat and I just left.

The ranger let me slide when I paid him the $4 for parking...

i got one from dnr right before bow season last year

hundred bucks is b/s IMO. their going to hammer us (the working man) because they cant get no money out of the low-lifes commiting the real crimes

Sorry to be a d!ck and go against the grain, but come on man. You know you're not supposed to park on the grass, that's why there are a limited number of parking spaces. Doesn't matter if other people did it first or not. While I agree that 100 bucks is a little steep, I think they were right to give you the ticket. If the ramp is full, keep driving.

dyeguy1212 said:
Sorry to be a d!ck and go against the grain, but come on man. You know you're not supposed to park on the grass, that's why there are a limited number of parking spaces. Doesn't matter if other people did it first or not. While I agree that 100 bucks is a little steep, I think they were right to give you the ticket. If the ramp is full, keep driving.

It's not like that everywhere... you can park on grass here in GA UNLESS there are signs posted... everywhere is different and I would still contest it - you've got nothing to lose

I guess that's a good point... here in MI theres someone sitting there with the orange tape and sign just waiting for the ramp to fill on the weekends.. or in the morning if they caught wind of a tournament.

Unless they have signs up for no parking in the grass, you shouldn't get a ticket - in my opinion. If they want to make that spot a revenue generating lot, then they need to outlay for some no parking signs.

Now if they have signs like no parking, or parking in designated spots only, then yes, you can get ticketed. Should it be $100 - No, but I don't know what recorse you have.

Here, most of the roads near ramps have no parking signs near them.

we never get the tickets here because we get to the ramp so early.
I know some states allow you to park on the grass but i remember seeing a sign there over flow parking.
I wouldn't take a chance parking on the grass unless it was posted.

Quackrstackr said:

If it is like it is here, it's $100 because that's what court costs will be even if you get it thrown out. They're going to get their $ one way or the other.

If you are able to win at a hearing you will not be assessed court costs

Captain Ahab said:
Quackrstackr said:

If you are able to win at a hearing you will not be assessed court costs

There really is no "win" around here on that type of thing. You go to court, the judge throws it out and then assesses you $100 in court costs.

If indeed it did go the distance, I don't know that you could win. Simply because there is no sign stating such around here usually doesn't mean that you can park anywhere that you please. I can't pull up into the middle of the city park in my truck and not expect a ticket either (even though there are no signs there prohibiting it).

I dunno. Maybe it is just a regional thing.

If it was not posted I would be more tempted to fight it. You have to check to see if it was posted. It may be posted on some obscure sign somewhere else at the ramp. It may not be posted at that spot but at the entrance or dock, who knows? That is one way they can catch you off guard.

dyeguy1212 said:

I'm not saying I'm not guilty, just ignorant in this case I guess. This was at a state park campground with a boat launch, not a DNR ramp. Apperently they have an overflow lot to park in, I have only been there a hand full of times and was not aware of how things worked. Had someone at the booth explained it when I came into the park theres no way I would have parked where I did. I paid the ticket today but I'm still not happy it cost me 100 bucks the fine seems a little excessive to me, Its not like I parked in a wetland or even left tire marks in the grass.

Crankworm Its not like I parked in a wetland or even left tire marks in the grass.[/quote said:
If you do park in a wetland you will think you got off cheap with the $100 fine
We had a homeowner that filled in a wetland at the rear of his prop that was protected under the covenant
that wound up costing him 10k and $500 a day until he restored it

Crankworm said:
DNR gave me a parking ticket yesterday apperantly the grass next to the boat ramp parking spots isn't for parking even though there was two others already there. Called this morning and found out it is a $100 fine! WTF? A hundred dollars for parking in the grass at a state park? I wish they would have told me I couldn't park there! I can't believe it a $100 parking ticket!

C'mon over to my house. I ain't got much grass, but you can park on what there is for $25. How's that fer a bargain?????????

Latest posts