Why do kayakers think it is okay to get ten feet from your b

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Queencitybassman

Reaction score
I went out on the tracker today and was having a typical day fishing the early bite but there were ton of kayak fishermen out. I dont mind small boats and watercrafts but I think it is awfully rude to just paddle beetween me and the shoreline when im obviously throwing cast out at it.. to top it off he cuts ahead of where im trolling the bank less then 10 feet away from me to post up. Not to mention 2 of his kayaking buddies came soon after and did the same thing. Then he has the nerve to tell me he missed one where I was suppose to be fishing!! what happened to common courtesy and a 50 yard fishing cushion. Kayakers!!

I came across a guy like this the other morning myself. Just comes paddling through the lily pads I was obviously fishing. Nice friendly guy, but obviously oblivious to the fact that I was trying to fish that piece of water...

I call them out on it. Let them know that they cut me off or that I was fishing the water they just ran through. Most times they are just not thinking about that and don't realize that they have done it. I don't like it when people do it to me so I make sure I don't do it to others.

The other morning I left the dock at about 4am. Plenty dark and I could see a boat ahead where I wanted to fish, but could not tell if he was anchored or trolling. I came up to about 100 yards away and turned off the big motor. Dropped the trolling motor and got with in 40 yards and said " Good morning, I don't want to cut you off if your fishing the bank, but in this darkness i can't tell if your trolling or anchored" He said he was trolling and I asked if he minded if I got in behind him and fished. He said not a problem and even thanked me for asking and not just cutting him off.

Start up the motor, gun it up, throw a wake, and then leapfrog them, but 10 yards or so. :twisted:

Well, that's the mean solution anyway. :roll:

Real way is just talking about it with them.

wasilvers said:
Start up the motor, gun it up, throw a wake, and then leapfrog them, but 10 yards or so. :twisted:quote]
HMMMMMMM........... :idea:
Mental note to self.... :lol:

Yeah only reason why I didnt flip the bird and cuss them out is because they probally dont know the unwritten rules on anglers on the water.. its still silly that they dont have common sense enough to realize 1. they are cruising right where I am fishing and spooking the fish and 2. It is not polite to fish 10 yards from someone havent you ever watched the classic!! 100 yards!! Anyway I sent them some good wakes which stirred them up a little bit and on my way back made sure I came close enough to get them a little wet! On my last spot before the day was over I hit a point with a rock ledge.. A carolina skiff came and parked right next on the same point and anchored down!! They came hooting and hollering like some school boys, by this point I was frustrated and decided it was too crowded to fish on saturday mornings with ignorant fools like these and left early.. which was dissapointing after not fishing for the last week and reasonably favorable conditions! I think I will stick to weekdays and weekends where the moon is full :)

BassAddict said:
I think the reason is common courtesy and respect for ones personal space is dead these days!

X2

I came around a bend a couple of years ago trolling on number 3 speed, and a fella was fishing right there, cussed me, said I had no courtesy, even called me a newbie fisherman

Fella didn't even give me a chance,

I told him That I didn't see him and was surprised myself, I still apologized and moved on, my then 10 yr old son was upset and scared the rest of the trip.

Welp later that day we ended up docking by each other to load up.

Not much was said, but he remebered me. Once I loaded then pulled up to let him load up I heard the mumbles of swearing from him.

So I had to do what I had to do, assume he wasn't talking to me and I Left

ACTUALLY i think some people believe they own the waters. :roll:

BassAddict said:
I think the reason is common courtesy and respect for ones personal space is dead these days!

Very similar to what I've been saying for a couple years now. I sort of blame it on technology and more specific, CELL PHONES! You can't talk to anyone anymore without them texting while you are trying to have a conversation. Most people can't even walk without having their phone out and stuck to the side of their head or in front of their face pushing text. It really frustrates me. You can send me a text, but I've got my phone set up so that it looks like I've received it, but I really don't. I always get those people that say...Hey, what happened??? I sent you a text. My reply is, "How'd that work out for you? Try again and see if it works any better."
I'm not trying to be a jerk, but I'd rather say hello in person than push 4 buttons and then send! It's quicker and much more enjoyable...IMHO.

NO INTERPERSONAL COMMUNICATION HAS CAUSED A LACK OF RESPECT FOR ALL MANKIND!

Okay...I'm finished ranting now. Thanks for listening. (hope you weren't on the phone while I ranted) :)

Absolutely agree with you on the cell phone problem. I've had people tell me they've tried to call me, and then ask me why my phone is off. I heard something once that really made sense to me, and I've replied to people (in a tactful manner) with that response, which is: My cell phone is for my convenience, not theirs, and did they try my home phone? I don't text, and I don't receive texting. I'm a dinosaur, lol.

I run into the rude kayakers at Simpson Lake every once in a while.Sometimes at CouncilBluff.But,most of the time it is on the rivers.For some reason,kayakers and canoeists think they own the rivers,always cutting between you and the bank when they could just as easily went behind.I think they do it out of spite for all jet boaters,as some jet boaters are rude and obnoxious to them,so they feel they must return the favor to all boaters.Sometimes,I just feel like turning the FIREHOSE on them.But all that will get me is a visit from the Sheriff.
On another note,I NEVER text.If I have to push more than 7 buttons to communicate with you,I'll dial your # and talk to you.

S&MFISH said:
I just feel like turning the FIREHOSE on them.

On another note,I NEVER text.

FIREHOSING....now that's fun....for us jetters at least. :shock:

Texting disabled on my phone. Text me all you want. I'll never even know you sent me something. Just the way I like it.

Slightly different topic, but I REFUSE to push 1 for English too.

huntinfool said:
I call them out on it. Let them know that they cut me off or that I was fishing the water they just ran through. Most times they are just not thinking about that and don't realize that they have done it. I don't like it when people do it to me so I make sure I don't do it to others.

The other morning I left the dock at about 4am. Plenty dark and I could see a boat ahead where I wanted to fish, but could not tell if he was anchored or trolling. I came up to about 100 yards away and turned off the big motor. Dropped the trolling motor and got with in 40 yards and said " Good morning, I don't want to cut you off if your fishing the bank, but in this darkness i can't tell if your trolling or anchored" He said he was trolling and I asked if he minded if I got in behind him and fished. He said not a problem and even thanked me for asking and not just cutting him off.

This never happens in my neck of the woods.

I kinda agree with the cell phone thing, but I dont think texting is bad. Sometimes it easier than having a conversation and it can be done on the fly in 30 seconds. If I need to ask my dad something real quick and he is on a job site he can answer back and doesnt have to be bothered with a call. Cell phones are just a communication tool, just like anything else some people dont know how to use them respectfully.

I hate that person that talks on their phone through a transaction at any retailer.

Kayakers and all other boaters seem to get along pretty well around my area. I think we do, because nobody feels intitled to the "public" waters.

I see nothing wrong with texting. Unless your attempting to do so driving. I hate talking on the phone, so texting suites me fine.

on texting - there are several people that texting is the only way to get ahold of them. I play vball, and the better players, will never return a call. However, they will text you back that they can be there. I don't know why. One guy I know, I have never seen him answer the phone - ever - in 4 years of knowing him. It is easier sometimes - especially when someone is at work. They can text back at their leisure.

To tie this in with the topic -
I think all boats should have a cell phone number printed on the side. So when someone cuts you off from fishing, you can send them a text of exactly what you thought of that action.

wasilvers said:
on texting - there are several people that texting is the only way to get ahold of them. I play vball, and the better players, will never return a call. However, they will text you back that they can be there. I don't know why. One guy I know, I have never seen him answer the phone - ever - in 4 years of knowing him. It is easier sometimes - especially when someone is at work. They can text back at their leisure.

To tie this in with the topic -
I think all boats should have a cell phone number printed on the side. So when someone cuts you off from fishing, you can send them a text of exactly what you thought of that action.
:LOL2:

I guess we're way off the original topic now. You should see the students in class that can text while not looking at the phone, either down by their side, or under a coat. The girls are real good at texting, holding the phone in their large purses, and doing it while looking straight at you. A couple of times I have caught students texting, and then have them text whoever is on the other end (usually a boyfriend or girlfriend) that "Mr. _________ now has my phone", and then I confiscate it and turn it over to one of the asst. principals.

Latest posts