Fresh Water Rod in Salt water

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bryan_VA

Reaction score
Absolutely. Most of the gear I use when saltwater fishing is "freshwater" stuff. I use the same rods, reels, and everything. I do alot of casting with 1/8-1oz lures in saltwater and my bass gear is perfect for that. When I get back home I turn on the shower and put my rods and reels in there for 5 minutes or so to rinse them off.

Bryan_VA said:
Absolutely. Most of the gear I use when saltwater fishing is "freshwater" stuff. I use the same rods, reels, and everything. I do alot of casting with 1/8-1oz lures in saltwater and my bass gear is perfect for that. When I get back home I turn on the shower and put my rods and reels in there for 5 minutes or so to rinse them off.

Sad to say, I can picture this! :wink:

LMAO!

You can but you must rinse them with freshwater after each use. I have a few setups that I've used the past few seasons that still look new. I use a little heavier duty setup for Bay fishing. I use a Spinning reel rated at 10 -15lb line and a rod rated as MH 8-20lb line. I mostly use braided line because you're fishing off the bottom at depths of 5 - 30'. Don't forget that you also need a few ounces of lead just to get to the bottom and you're drifting with the current. That's why you need a little heavier setup even though your still catching fish only up to 10lbs. (Mostly only a few pounds)

I use my bass rods when I fish in the bay all the time. Then again im fishing for stripedbass. What are you fishing for? As far as reels go I left most of mine at home. The one baitcaster I like to use in the bay in a quantum iron, its kinda a junky reel so im not worried about it gettin messed up.

As long as your not throwing your 4' ultra light for sharks.. and then clean and lube yore reels after EVERY SALTWATER USE you will be fine.

Wayne

Mr. Fishin NJ, Some places have water stations set up so all you have to do is hose down your equipment(brigatine), I'm sure marinas have some kinda wash down.

Just remember - soak the reels (whether they are fresh or salt water models) after a day in the salt - never, ever, never spray them, it will drive the salt and silt into the grease and ruin the reel quickly.

I fill up a cooler with fresh water and, leaving the reels on the rods, hang them so that they are immersed in fresh water. About 30 minutes will do the trick. Then, wipe the outsides with a clean cloth and some CRC to prevent corrosion.

Oh yeah, Penn Reels says never spray your reels with a stuff like WD-40, it will thin out the grease, wipe them!

For the rods, I also use the shower trick. Sunday night I had a shower full of deep sea rods and I was rudely awakened by my wife Monday morning demanding I get those &**^&%% Fishing rods out of her shower!

Sheesh, she never understands!

I never bought a salt water rod or reel. David is right, soaking is better than spraying reels. I used my Zebco Cardinal 4 for redfish, speckled trout and flounder for years. The only thing is a cheap rod will have cheap guides that even with thourough rinsing won't last many years

Latest posts