Joomla

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ShadowWalker

Reaction score
Jim, I saw that TinBoats uses Joomla for the main page. How do you like it, and how user friendly is it?

I'm working on a website community (not fishing related of course :wink: ) and would like to have some form of portal, but out of all the sites I have put together I have never used any portal software.

Anyone else who is using a portal software feel free to chime in with your thoughts!

I'm not a fan! :LOL2:

Lots of back end anomalies that I cannot figure out.

I have been looking at wordpress and blogger. They seem to be more customizable.

My host offers wordpress, nucleus, and b2evolution for the more blogging type software. Of those three I like b2evolution the best.

I have probably close to a dozen or so content management programs like Joomla and Mambo, and I have been playing with them to an extent. They are too complicated for what I want to do. I would also like to have another admin or two that can post to the main page, and I feel like even if I handled learning one of the CM programs, it would be over their heads. Its basically a fun project for a couple of my friends and I, and I don't want to take the fun out of it by using complicated software.

Looks Like I need to pick a blogging software for my main page. Back to lots of uninstalling and installing! :shock:

I would like to chime in. I have had a good bit of success and I have some background with Joomla. I have tried pretty much most of the "Nuke" CMS's as well as other portals on the net and never liked any of them. I currently have a site using Joomla (non-fishing related - but webhosting (8 years)) and have found after many hours of trial and error that Joomla is one of the better ones and less hacked. I had almost all my "Nuke" cms sites hacked even with their sentinel software setup properly. None of my Joomla sites have been hacked since the creation of the sites.

I have installed Joomla on many of my customers/friends sites, showed them the basics and they are still running strong without issues.

I haven't really messed with the Wordpress's or Drupals or other blogging CMS's that much as I really like Joomla now that I know how it works. I don't think they have the options/modules available that Joomla has to offer.

If anyone needs any help with Joomla feel free to contact me via PM (not a form of advertisement, just would like to lend a helping hand if needed). Always willing to help those who have helped me one way or another ;)

+1 for Joomla, I have installed and managed 3-4 joomla websites, its easy to get going. Not the easiest to customize, but the modules and templates you can install are nice.

We have our school website running on Joomla... I hate it, but take that with a grain of salt: I am a Network Admin, not a web developer. Since it's a small school, they leave me in charge of the thing anyway because it has *something* to do with computers. I hate the way it looks, and I hate even more how hard it seems to make it look better.

Actually, I would be willing to bet most of our problems with Joomla are actually user error. :oops:

I know who to call now when I'm about to put a fist through the monitor! :LOL2:

The Front page is boring to me. It always looks a "Few years old" If you know what I mean.

I hate the formatting, It should be easier to make the Title of the articles bigger/bold. Little stuff like that.

Jim said:
I hate the formatting, It should be easier to make the Title of the articles bigger/bold. Little stuff like that.

Should be able to edit the stylesheet.css to change the font sizes and characteristics for the Titles and stuff for each Template you use.

What version of Joomla are you currently using and whats the name of the Style/Template you are using? I will mess around with it on one of my test sites for you if you want me too to see what I can come up with.

Bass4Ever said:
Jim said:

Should be able to edit the stylesheet.css to change the font sizes and characteristics for the Titles and stuff for each Template you use.

What version of Joomla are you currently using and whats the name of the Style/Template you are using? I will mess around with it on one of my test sites for you if you want me too to see what I can come up with.

1.5.18.....99.9% positive

That is what I hate...that you have to edit the stylesheet instead of a point and click. :mrgreen:

For the template I am using rhuk_milkyway.

Thanks, will do some messing with it over the weekend and see what I can find out.

Pretty much all the CMS's and Portal systems I have tried pretty much is the same way with getting the fonts larger/smaller by editing the .css files which I myself hate too, lol.

Of all the smart creators of the components and modules you would think that someone would create a module of some sort to edit such stuff by point and click, lol.

Latest posts