My new ride

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ShadowWalker

Reaction score
Well after some motor issues on top of not getting out bowfishing as much as I wanted to, I decided to sell the boat. I have started Rod and Reel fishing here and there again. I couldn't see myself not having some way of getting on the water, so here is the new Ride I picked up today.

I know sit on tops are generally better for fishing, but this is gonna be an all around Kayak I am using for Fishing, Photography, Floating down the river with friends, sight seeing, and exploring. This one will do all those well. And I couldn't pass it up this time with my employee discount and a $100 rebate we had going. Especially because this is THE kayak I have wanted for about a year now.

Attachments

• IMAG0056.jpg
    IMAG0056.jpg
    123.1 KB · Views: 1,053
  • IMAG0057.jpg
    IMAG0057.jpg
    116.4 KB · Views: 1,053
I've been thinking of a kayak also for all the reasons you stated. Yours has an open cockpit. Do you prefer that just to be able to move around more given all the types of things you plan to use it for. I had thought I would get a closed cockpit with a spray skirt if I could ever make up my mind on which one.

If we had rivers around here that had rapids I would have gone with the tighter cockpit and a skirt. The more open design allows you to put stuff in front of your feet and get to it (tackle bag, camera gear, etc). I have one river by me that will get a swift current and develop class 1, maybe close to class 2, rapids after a heavy rain in the spring. By the middle and end of summer its not really an issue because the river is usually pretty low and rain brings it up to "normal" and its still pretty calm.

haha my issue is drilling into it. I mean I have drilled into the interiors of boats before, but everything on this is hull. I have found a few things that clamp on, but I think the best route is to get this thing to mount rod holders to. It is removable too which is cool.

https://www.campmor.com/harmony-kayak-konsole.shtml

Very Nice! I absolutely love fishing out of a kayak. Kinda miss mine. I had one of the cheapo Pelican castaway, which I couldn't really complain about because it did everything I wanted, however I sold it with plans to buy a 12ft solo canoe....I just never got around to buying the canoe. I hope to have another one of these days(kayak or solo canoe). To me, there isn't anything much more peaceful than floating down the river in a kayak....nothing to worry about but fishing....plus you can access alot more place with a kayak than you could a bigger boat. Anyways, Again...Very nice yak'!

Bubba said:
Very Nice! I absolutely love fishing out of a kayak. Kinda miss mine. I had one of the cheapo Pelican castaway, which I couldn't really complain about because it did everything I wanted, however I sold it with plans to buy a 12ft solo canoe....I just never got around to buying the canoe. I hope to have another one of these days(kayak or solo canoe). To me, there isn't anything much more peaceful than floating down the river in a kayak....nothing to worry about but fishing....plus you can access alot more place with a kayak than you could a bigger boat. Anyways, Again...Very nice yak'!
Thanks

Those Castaways/Getaways are actually pretty nice, especially for the price. I've sold probably over a dozen of them this year and people like them a lot. I was also looking at the Old Town Vapor, but the problem was no dry storage. You could get the XT version for an extra 150, or buy the hatch cover separately, but Its still not a ton of storage.

The reason I really like this Wilderness Systems one is that it has the cam lock lid with a good rubber seal, and it has a foam Rubber bulkhead that separates it from the rest of the boat. Plus the seat on this one is worth the price difference alone. It's like a floating Lazy Boy

ShadowWalker said:
Bubba said:
Thanks

Those Castaways/Getaways are actually pretty nice, especially for the price. I've sold probably over a dozen of them this year and people like them a lot. I was also looking at the Old Town Vapor, but the problem was no dry storage. You could get the XT version for an extra 150, or buy the hatch cover separately, but Its still not a ton of storage.

The reason I really like this Wilderness Systems one is that it has the cam lock lid with a good rubber seal, and it has a foam Rubber bulkhead that separates it from the rest of the boat. Plus the seat on this one is worth the price difference alone. It's like a floating Lazy Boy

Yeah, The "dry storage" on my castaway was nothing to brag about, not to mention a PITA to get to if you needed to get in it. Especially for a big guy like myself...haha. I did end up making myself a custom seat for mine...well more like just a custom backrest without a bottom since it had the molded seat already there. It worked pretty good, however I sold it before I really got much time to put it to much use.

After having a SOT, I do think I would prefer to have a SIK like yours....there was nowhere to put anything in mine that you could access it without actually getting out of the boat. This is one of the big reasons I sold it with plans on getting a Old Town Discover 119(Dicks special). Hopefully maybe one day I can end up getting one afterall.

I'll admit it..... I've never been in a kayak before :oops: ! How hard is it to paddle back up stream? The rivers around me have a fairly decent current to them, and its always my fear that I'll get way down stream and have to walk the kayak back to my vehicle :shock: There must be an easier way when your by yourself and need to get back.... so is it that they are just that easy to paddle yourself back???

Just curious... not trying to hijack ya.

Well, It depends on how fast the current is really....it can be done. It also depends on the kayak itself, some paddle and cover water easier than others as well.

I got the same one in 12 foot Wilderness120, paid retail for it, like it enough, just a pain to put on top of the Explorer, I actually use the 12 foot boat trailer, carry two kayaks, just drop in anywhere. Moded a bit for fishing of course.....I got upstream in the Hudson river all the time, just remember to go upstream first, then dwn stream, reverse order can be a bear!!

I would have liked the 12 footer but it would have been a pain in the s10. The 10 footer hangs over the tailgate about 6 inches when its down and in the bed at a diagonal.

Here is what I did, trolls nice for Spring trout, and casting for bass is no problem, only issue for me is a bit of a backache after a couple of hours, cant strech to good in them....
2003_0101kayak0002.jpg

2003_0101kayak0003.jpg[img]

Nice, I think its the best way to fish, lake or river. You don't have to fight the boat dock either. I have a Manta Ray rigged with fish finder,anchor trolly, rod holders and lots of storage. This is probably why I'll never finish my tin boat. Last winters project is becoming this winters project.

Latest posts