Skunk removal ideas

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jim

TinBoats Supporter
Reaction score
Instead of hikacking the squirrel thread, I decided to see start my own topic. I need help!

Skunk got the dog once a couple of weeks back, but I have now seen him a dozen times at night. The other night he chased the wife into the house(her story). So I'm assuming it was just close. I live in the burbs, not country, so a 3 inch Magnum Turkey load is not an option,I will have the cops at my house in 3 minutes. Any ideas?

What we do is a catch it alive trap.After you catch him walk up with a old blanket in front of you so it don't see you slowly cover the trap bring to the country open door & let go.All done very carefully.Removed 3 this way with no accidents.

Have you tried to call the local animal control? Lots of areas like yours have guys/gals that come and will live trap them, then relocate em for ya. Some are a free public service, some are not.

**edit** none are free..... just paid for via taxes... :mrgreen:

Skunks are one of the leading carriers of rabies. Once it is trapped I would toss the trap in a lake or river.

crazymanme2 said:
What we do is a catch it alive trap.After you catch him walk up with a old blanket in front of you so it don't see you slowly cover the trap bring to the country open door & let go.All done very carefully.Removed 3 this way with no accidents.

We don't want your skunks, cats, or any other critter in the country. All they do is feed the coyotes, and we don't want the coyotes, casue once their done with your city vermin they go after our livestock.

Feed it some poison or get animal control to capture it.

go online and type Getting rid of skunks in your search bar, fox urin is the answer, skunks have one real natural enemy, the fox they sell a commercial pelletized fox urin that will get rid of all critters that fox like to eat including skunks

Hmm... It makes it tough when you are in the 'burbs to get rid of vermin like that. My next-door neighbor once came by and asked me if I would be upset if he killed the groundhog that had been rooting around our yards, and I said go for it, but was curious how he planned to do it without firing a gun. He said he was going to kill it with his bow and arrow, to which I thought "good luck buddy... that's a mighty small target to be trying to hit with a bow and arrow..."

But he did it. Killed the thing without making a peep from his deck in the morning while sipping a cup of coffee... Problem is, you probably never see the skunk in daylight huh? It would be hard to snipe a skunk in the dead of night with a bow and arrow...

The fox urine is a pretty good idea: I would have never thought of that.

But yeah, if I were to try to live trap it, I would try to get animal control to come and relocate it once it's trapped. There is no way I would approach a live trap with a skunk in it without the trusty ol' 12 Gauge... But that's just me.

Captain Ahab said:
JDBaits Fatboys- never get skunked when I fish with those :mrgreen:

:LOL22: :roflmao:

Seriously though...Call your local Conservation office...they might have a service too. I know that mine does. If not...they can offer advice maybe???

SSS method works for me.

S-Shoot
S-Shovel
S-Shut-up

Most burbs don't have restrictions on airguns/bb guns. There are plenty of guys all around the US with 'quiet' airguns (Marauder's are pretty darn quiet) that shoot a 22 at 900+ fps. They'd usually be happy to come help remove the pest. All it takes is some tuna set out each night for a few nights to establish a pattern.

Other methods include seeking help from the local animal control. If they give you crap, just tell them you need to trap a feral cat. Then drop it off in the cage at their door ;) You live in the burb's, you aren't supposed to know better. :LOL2:

I don't care for the replenent idea, it will just go squirt someone else's dog - and you still run the risk of getting into it's territory while on a walk.

lckstckn2smknbrls said:
Skunks are one of the leading carriers of rabies. Once it is trapped I would toss the trap in a lake or river.

Those familiar with the squirrel thread know I'm an advocate of the swimming lesson method. Live trapping sounds pretty funky to me but is the sneak attack blanket works, drop 'em in the river. If you don't have a river, a recycling bin filled with water works well. Mine is blue - like an olympic swimming pool. I don't blame the guys in the country not wanting them. It's a city skunk-country skunk thing...

Check out the web site I put in critter control in a bolltle,
that stuff works
:mrgreen:

https://www.critter-repellent.com/skunk/skunk-repellant.php?source=Overture

Just saw the skunk again as I let out my dog. I am going to call the local animal control tomorrow and if I get no positive response from them I am going to try that stuff.

Latest posts