Dang, Can't Believe I Did This (not for the squeemish)

Talk about anything that floats your boat (no pun intended). This is general talk about anything not related to boating/fishing.
bobberboy
Donor

Post by bobberboy »

BB, that's a clever straight-line fence you made for the skillsaw. It figures out everything for you, all you have to do is put the fence on the keeper side. You're 17 and have plenty of braincells left. At 59 I can't spare a one doing any unnecessary thinking. By the way, it's really good to see someone your age with such great skills. Gives me hope craftsmanship isn't just a thing of the past.

wasilvers

Post by wasilvers »

I used that method to cut my long sheets of plywood, but I didn't use it enough to build a jig. I just measured off 3 3/4 inches from my cut and clamped a 1x4 on the plywood. It makes a nice edge and doesn't take much shop room. I think I'll use the extra leftover wood from the boat to make a jig now. Who knows when I'm going to do another boat project :wink:
Will - Originally from Texas, now fishing for Bass in Wisconsin
1978 Sea Nymph Fishing Machine rebuilt in 2009

bandgeek1263

Post by bandgeek1263 »

Thats a good cut.

A couple of weeks ago I was using an aluminum cutoff wheel on a bench seat that I was recycling. I traced my pattern, started cutting and 3/4 of the way through the wheel caught an edge. This shook the bench seat, and I pulled the grinder away until the seat was steady. Without realizing it, I put my knee down to stabilize the aluminum, and at the same time went back to work with the grinder. Needless to say, I had a 1/4 inch deep gouge in my knee. I believe it self cauterized, seeing as it didn't bleed that badly. Nobody was home so I couln't get stitches. There wasn't even anything to stitch so I went inside and put a couple of butterflies and a little gauze over it and went back to work. So, now I have a pretty bada$$ scar on my knee.

Don't ladies like scars? :LOL2:
I intend to live forever, or die trying.

My Mod: 'Fraid Knot

perchin

Post by perchin »

Bassboy.... I have on of those exact Makita Circ.'s, and also have used that set up for srtaight line ripping rough lumber before milling it to what I want.

I just last summer got a new Steel City Cabinet saw, 3hp. with the 50" rip fence and extended table :D And in typical fashion decided it still was not enough so I added a fold down extension table out of Mdf, oak, and countertop laminate..... :mrgreen:

So far I have not really liked the anti kickback rollers, and always just use featherboards. Reason is becaues I cut so many rail and stiles for cabinet doors that the rollers just get in my push blocks way. I built a crosscut sled to cut them to length :wink:

Ever notice that its getting hard to find parts for the older tools.... kinda like my 74' dayton planner. I can't find anyone who sells the darn replacement blades any more.

bassboy1
Site Sponsor

Post by bassboy1 »

perchin wrote:Bassboy.... I have on of those exact Makita Circ.'s, and also have used that set up for srtaight line ripping rough lumber before milling it to what I want.
My dad has had that one for years. Got quite a bit of the other Makita tools (belt sander, palm sander, recipro saw, etc, from the same time frame (new enough to have plastic housings, and be somewhat light, yet old enough to still be durable), and they are fairly nice.
So far I have not really liked the anti kickback rollers, and always just use featherboards. Reason is becaues I cut so many rail and stiles for cabinet doors that the rollers just get in my push blocks way. I built a crosscut sled to cut them to length :wink:
Yep, we've got plenty of those around here too. I don't do enough cabinet/woodworking for them to be advantageous over the rollers for my purposes, but they do have their uses.
Ever notice that its getting hard to find parts for the older tools.... kinda like my 74' dayton planner. I can't find anyone who sells the darn replacement blades any more.
Most of our older large tools are Delta, so parts are somewhat easy to find, but even so, I feel your pain. We've been able to find oddball parts, such as a trunion for a '40s Delta 14" bandsaw. The good thing about the old stuff is that generally they have common sizes. For instance, I need a new lower wheel shaft for the 1912-1914 Crescent 26" bandsaw I just bought, and it is just a common 1 1/4" size, with a standard 1/8" x 1/4" keyway, so I can just get the part from Mcmaster Carr. Try doing that with some of the new stuff. Otherwise, being able to make some of the parts is handy. We've got a Swiss Made Inca bandsaw, and hardly anything on it can be made these days, so we are having to make parts as simple as the blade guides.

Even if parts are hard to find, you can't beat older shop equipment, especially standalone equipment (where the extra weight isn't a big deal), for longevity and such.

Hanr3

Post by Hanr3 »

Glad you will be alright.

It only takes once mistake, or lack of concentration to cause an injury.

I've been useing power tools for most of my life, started out in my grandpas basement. I've had a table saw kickback on me and had it rip lumber out of my hands too.

As for cutting 4x8 sheets of plywood, I usually draw a line and throw it up on the table saw. I use an outfeed support. If I just have the skillsaw, I free hand it, done it enough times it ocmes out just as striaght as if I used a guide, and if its a critical edge (cabinet side), I'll still run it throught he table saw and jointer/planner.
HOI Crappie Club
Where family and friends come to compete for a little more than bragging rights.

'97 16' Sylvan Back Troller Select
'67 14' Alumacraft
'57 Model FD11 18-hp Johnson Seahorse
'09 Traverse FWD V6 w/ towing package, power sun and moon roof, and ton of other options. The only one I wanted was the towing package. :mrgreen:

waterboy

Post by waterboy »

OUCH Chris, that is not purty sight son :shock: Keep it clean and I hope it heals soon.
I'm Just Floating on Water

Ranchero50

Post by Ranchero50 »

My miter did the same thing, bent the backstop and blew the carbide off several teeth. Usually I spray some WD40 on the aluminum cutting tools (works excellent for tapping) but had run out and needed to trim a bunch of 1" angle.

Jamie

S&MFISH

Post by S&MFISH »

Dang Chris,that looks kinda nasty.Hope you get well soon.Hard to fish with your hand all taped together,ey?
ANOTHER ONE OF THE "JET" GUYS
WISHIN' WE WAS FISHIN'-----Steve & Margaret (B.A.S.S.--NAFC--NSMC--AnglersLegacyAmbassador--"Just Goin' Fishin' ")

fender66

Post by fender66 »

S&MFISH wrote:Dang Chris,that looks kinda nasty.Hope you get well soon.Hard to fish with your hand all taped together,ey?
Thanks Steve...Actually, I'm healing quicker thank I ever thought I would. Went fishing last night and about the only problem I had was I couldn't get a hook from the mouth of my catches cause that took two hands to hold the fish and unhook with the other. I felt like a kid again having to have my buddy unhook everything. Guess that's better than not catching fish though. It was a beautiful night nonetheless.
Peace,

Chris/Fender66´¯`●.¸.¸¸.●´¯`●.¸><((((º>
Every day should be Fender Day!

2011 TinBoats/BYOB Labor Day Tournament Champion :wink:

bandgeek1263

Post by bandgeek1263 »

Glad you're healing fast. That looked kinda severe.
I intend to live forever, or die trying.

My Mod: 'Fraid Knot

Hanr3

Post by Hanr3 »

Glad to hear your healing fast.

Thats what friends are for, to give us a hand when we need it. :lol:
HOI Crappie Club
Where family and friends come to compete for a little more than bragging rights.

'97 16' Sylvan Back Troller Select
'67 14' Alumacraft
'57 Model FD11 18-hp Johnson Seahorse
'09 Traverse FWD V6 w/ towing package, power sun and moon roof, and ton of other options. The only one I wanted was the towing package. :mrgreen:

fender66

Post by fender66 »

Hanr3 wrote:Glad to hear your healing fast.

Thats what friends are for, to give us a hand when we need it. :lol:

AMEN..and thanks!
Peace,

Chris/Fender66´¯`●.¸.¸¸.●´¯`●.¸><((((º>
Every day should be Fender Day!

2011 TinBoats/BYOB Labor Day Tournament Champion :wink: