Ants!!!

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

raven174us

Reaction score
I hate ants! We've been having some bad rain the past couple months. We have had 2 very bad floods, one in May and one last week. In the process of everyone trying to stay out of the rain the ants have made themselves comfortable in my home, boat and trailer. I am able to keep them somewhat at bay in my home but I can't win the battle with the boat and trailer.
Have any of you had a bad problem with ants on your boat? What would help me win my boat back?

Don't know if this will help, but last year, I sprayed my boat with a "Home Defense" type of Bug Spray to keep the spiders from nesting in it. It did seem to work pretty well. I'm sure the water washed the outside off when it rained, but the nooks and crannies were still covered somewhat. Try finding something that kills ants and give it a try. Might just be what you need???

Good luck. I hate ants too. Almost as much as chiggers.

Last year I beat the ants to coming in my yard by spreading out Amdro Firestrike - https://www.baitisbetter.com/index.php/fire_ant_bait/products_and_tips/AMDRO_FireStrike/.

This year I got lazy and didn't do it... I had some LARGE carpenter ants (red and black) show up and it cost me about $100 to get rid of them. I wish I had taken pictures of the nests they made. They made about a 35' x 4" barrier with small pine needles along some railroad ties in front of a flower bed I have going along the front porch. I put down some powder specifically made for them, went through 2 strong concentrates specifically made for them and those killed them on contact, but didn't get rid of them. Ended up using some good old 93 grade gasoline to finally rid them...

I spread the yard right after I found them and I don't have any ants or ant hills in the yard now.

If you have some mounds, Amdro in the white gallon container works the best on them (atleast here in GA and SC). I personally don't think it gets rid of them altogether though, I think they move about 20' away. But when you use that in conjunction with broadcasting the yard with the treatment, it gets rid of them - or atleast keeps in the neighbors yard!

Now if I could just find something besides my BB gun to keep their dogs from crapping in my yard I'd be in business. Nothing like walking out at 7am to the fresh stench of freshly laid poop - and stepping in it in my dress shoes. The sign I put at the edge of the yard that said "Here Lies the Last Dog Who Pooped in My Yard" hasn't stopped them yet :LOL2:

Call TruGreen or one of the Pest control companies.

Trugeen will spray a 5' perimeter around the house for $49 per month. Not only iwll it kill ants, it kills, all other insects that come in contact witht he product, chiggers, earwicks, mites, aphids, spiders, pill bugs, crickets, fleas, ticks, etc. They will spary the yard too, however that cost is based on your lot size.

Hanr3 said:
Call TruGreen or one of the Pest control companies.

Trugeen will spray a 5' perimeter around the house for $49 per month. Not only iwll it kill ants, it kills, all other insects that come in contact witht he product, chiggers, earwicks, mites, aphids, spiders, pill bugs, crickets, fleas, ticks, etc. They will spary the yard too, however that cost is based on your lot size.

I used Orkin and they took care of all my ant problems...I tried everything I could find at Lowes and nothing worked for me.

raven174us said:
I hate ants! We've been having some bad rain the past couple months. We have had 2 very bad floods, one in May and one last week. In the process of everyone trying to stay out of the rain the ants have made themselves comfortable in my home, boat and trailer. I am able to keep them somewhat at bay in my home but I can't win the battle with the boat and trailer.
Have any of you had a bad problem with ants on your boat? What would help me win my boat back?
Check out this Google search.
https://www.google.com/search?hl=en...ved=0CBQQBSgA&q=natural+ant+repellent&spell=1
The first link has several good natural "solutions".

Thanks for the ideas and the link. If all possible I prefer using natural solutions to life's little problems. When all else fails I pull out the big guns. 8)

raven174us said:
......... If all possible I prefer using natural solutions to life's little problems. When all else fails I pull out the big guns. 8)
8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)

raven174us said:
Thanks for the ideas and the link. If all possible I prefer using natural solutions to life's little problems. When all else fails I pull out the big guns. 8)

and the natural way is why you have ants in the first place.

The only way the natural way will work is if you change the environment.

Hanr3 said:
raven174us said:

and the natural way is why you have ants in the first place.

The only way the natural way will work is if you change the environment.
So, spraying them with white vinegar or sprinkling black pepper where you see them and where they come in isn't changing the environment for them ???

I had a red ant problem inside my home and used the concentrate diluted in a hand spray bottle and went around all the base boards with this stuff just like the professionals do. No More red ants for 5 years now inside. I also use it mixed in a water gallon jug and treated/poured aorund the perimeter of my slab and squirted it into the brick weep holes too. No bugs no more.

Spectracide Carpenter Ant & Termite Killer Insect Spray Concentrate

I spray vinegar in my trash bags when I put them outside to keep dogs from tearing in my trash. I hadn't thought about it keeping the ants away though.

Latest posts