Coleman lanterns and stoves

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lckstckn2smknbrls

Reaction score
Is any one still using the liquid fueled lanterns and stoves?
I got our old lantern up and running earlier this year for a camping trip. Last week I came upon a coleman 502 single burner stove from 11/71 for $1.00. It needed a little cleaning up but it's ready to go now.

Attachments

• IMG_5527.JPG
    IMG_5527.JPG
    360.9 KB · Views: 1,044
  • IMG_5528.JPG
    IMG_5528.JPG
    374.4 KB · Views: 1,044
Couple more pictures

Attachments

• IMG_5529.JPG
    IMG_5529.JPG
    369.1 KB · Views: 1,036
  • IMG_5530.JPG
    IMG_5530.JPG
    362.4 KB · Views: 1,036
  • IMG_5531.JPG
    IMG_5531.JPG
    382.2 KB · Views: 1,036
Yes. You'll appreciate the liquid fuel over the propane on a real cold morning. We've got 3 of the old Coleman liquid fueled lanterns, and my backpacking stove is a MSR Whisperlite.

I use the liquid fuel(naptha)double burner coleman.
I like it better then the propane,wife on the other hand...not so much.
It's more expensive now to buy a liquid fuel one, then a propane one.

I have a liqiud fuel stove that I've had over 20yrs.Thought I was going to have to change it over to propane this year,as fuel was hard to find this spring.Hunters bought all of it up.But ,it reappeared boefore I needed it.So I didn't have to do the changeover.I like the liquid fuel much better than propane.Just my opinion.

I have 2 double burner liquid fuel stoves and 2 lanterns.

They are not quite as convenient but I like them.

bassboy is right about the cold. If it is extremely cold, you can pretty much forget lighting a propane anything (including a heater) but I can still fire a stove up and cook breakfast.

I agree with the Liquid being the better option for the cold. I am an avid Ice Fisherman and don't even bother with the propane lantern anymore. For the heating of my shanty all I need is my Liquid fueled lantern...... I fish in my t-shirt and jeans most of the time. :mrgreen:

Quackrstackr said:
...If it is extremely cold, you can pretty much forget lighting a propane anything...

During the ice storm (and no power) I was in my very cold garage heating water for coffee and instant oatmeal on my two-burner propane stove. It lit right up :)

Waterwings said:
Quackrstackr said:
...If it is extremely cold, you can pretty much forget lighting a propane anything...

During the ice storm (and no power) I was in my very cold garage heating water for coffee and instant oatmeal on my two-burner propane stove. It lit right up :)

That ice storm wasn't cold. It never dropped below 52 in my house and I didn't have backup heat at the time. :LOL2:

I've lost count of the number of times I've tried to light a propane heater in a duck blind but couldn't because of the temps. When the liquid propane turns to gas, it drops the temps so low at the mixing valve that it freezes up.

I have one like it 11-82, but you got abetter deal i payed 5 for mine at a yard sale about 8 yrs ago.Use mine for work in the winter,righ in the lunch box it goes every dad.
Also have a newer one 05.lantern 78,two burrner stove late 70s for sure.
Will stay with what i grew up using.IF it ant broke dont fix it :D

I'm still using a coleman stove built in the thirties! solid cast iron burners and a brass tank. way too heavy to carry hiking but its sure nice for truck camping ,and it seems to cook faster than the newer ones ive used.I think, at last count, I have 5 lanterns iv'e gathered up over the years,I use them for night crappie fishing more than anything.

I bought a dual fuel lantern back when we first got married. It burns coleman fuel or unleaded gasoline. I have not had to clean it yet -besided just turning it on once in a while. It works great while camping/hunting. Really handy when trailing deer in the dark, that blood just seems to shine back at you.

Also have a few of fuel stoves. Anytime I see one that is in good shape, I pick it up. Paid up to $20 for a used one once. Yeah, I'm that guy, if there ever is a real Y2K problem, you'll want to be hanging out at my house - I have a month or two of food, and have the guns (and ability) to get more. :mrgreen:

wasilvers said:
I bought a dual fuel lantern back when we first got married. It burns coleman fuel or unleaded gasoline. I have not had to clean it yet -besided just turning it on once in a while. It works great while camping/hunting. Really handy when trailing deer in the dark, that blood just seems to shine back at you.

Also have a few of fuel stoves. Anytime I see one that is in good shape, I pick it up. Paid up to $20 for a used one once. Yeah, I'm that guy, if there ever is a real Y2K problem, you'll want to be hanging out at my house - I have a month or two of food, and have the guns (and ability) to get more. :mrgreen:

Are you my brother? 8)

My house is secured.

still using a stove several times a year that was built in the forties!crappie fish at night in the heat of summer with lanterns off side of boat.I always liked the liquid fuel ones better than propane.

I used to have one a long time ago. Wouldnt mind having another one. give you two dollars for yours. Nice find!!!!!!!!

Okay I'll chime in, I have a single mantle lantern made in '62. Hard to find the globes for that baby. Used to have Coleman rep come by once a year and fix the stoves and lantern, had 1 offer to buy this one about 20 years ago. My dad always used "white gas" in ours instead of coleman fuel. Speaking of Coleman fuel I about fell over last year when I looked and it was almost $10, unbelieveable!!

Latest posts