Craigs list

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

todpod

Reaction score
never done this before but I am going to try and Trade my 200o Ranger for a project boat preferably aluminum and at least 16 feet don't really care about motor at this point trailer would be helpful, might also have a 1999 caravan to trade as well. Any craigs list tips, anything I should know, figured i would start in Erie, pa

I used a Craigslist ad to trade my two older Honda Fortrax quads ('87 & '88) for a tinboat (freshly restored 1970 Ouachita 12' w/ a 6HP 'rude, trailer, etc.).

If you're attempting to make a straight 'across the board' trade, make sure that you clearly spell out what you're looking for. Don't get me wrong, you'll get a lot of offers that you don't care to entertain, but if you take your time and consider what people put forth, you'll most-likely end up with what you're after. It took me about 3 months to swap for the boat that I considered a worthy, fair trade.

To minimize on looky-lous, window shoppers, and other people with more time than you, make sure you put up several high-quality pics of your truck. Don't limit yourself to the four low-res images that CL allows (or use them at all for that matter), use an image host (they're many free ones) and insert the HTML code to link the pictures to your ad (I'm no HTML coder, and I do this all the time w/o problems...PM me if you need some help). Having the pictures outside of CL also makes it much easier/faster to repost your ad...when I'm selling just about anything I delete/repost my ad 3x a week (Mon., Wed., Fri.) to keep it at the top of the list and generate more traffic. Just remember, you can write the best description in the world, but the pics are what is going to sell your trade.

As far as having people come to your house, I wouldn't buy into the idea that people are 'casing your house, vehicle, etc'. Sure, fear mongering is common practice by the media and such, but after selling A LOT of stuff on CL over the last 2-3 years (hundreds of items really), I've never had a problem. Just be careful, trust your gut, and follow your instincts. If people ask for my address right of the bat w/o asking for a "good time to meet", I'm a little more cautious (and sure as heck don't give it to them immediately). It usually takes a few emails before we get to that point. You'll have to bend a little bit to be able to meet with someone, especially if you're orchestrating a trade, but don't rush yourself to meet with someone, and sure as heck don't give them your address and tell them that you're not home now and won't be for a few hours, have to leave right after ya'll meet, or are going on vacation for a month and commonly leave a key under your doormat. Don't get me wrong, bad things happen to good people, just don't make yourself an easy target and it'll be less likely to happen to you.

I've found that most people are as uncomfortable meeting you at your place as you are having them come there. I had one younger girl (twentysomething) stay on her cell phone with a girlfriend the whole time she looked at some tile medallions I was selling because she wanted to make sure I wasn't a murder, rapist, or something like that..."what every floats your boat", I told her. (Made that sale BTW).

Anyway, I'm sure you'll make your trade happen, and get the tin you've been longing for, old school style....by the bartering of goods. Good luck, and again, PM me if you have any specific questions or need any other advice.

This is the tin I traded for:

img_7841.jpg

img_7823.jpg

Some good advice here!

I typically don't prefer to meet at my home or the other persons for that matter, but then again, the only things I have bought, sold, or traded were smaller things like video games, guitars, and paintball stuff. For the gaming stuff or anything to do with electronics, I have them come into my work where things can be tested and both parties can be confident in the trade. Same with guitar stuff: I used to have them meet at my bands practice space where you could plug in and test, crank it... whatever you want, which was in a secure building with 24 hour surveillance.

That all being said, if I had to meet at my home, I wouldn't be too terribly worried about it I guess. Maybe I am just lucky, but for the most part, everyone I have dealt with on Craigslist have been pretty pleasant.

1. clearly in caps put no spam

2. only do face to face transactions with cash

3. dont tell people were you live

lots of people make a living by scaming on craigslist

Thanks I will take it all into consideration I hope to have it posted by the end of the week

Latest posts