Tomato Early Blight?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bubba

Reaction score
Is anyone else having problems with their tomatoes with this? I just done a little bit of research online and found there is a few options of treatment....just wondering if anyone has tried any? The options I have read about are these...

Some type of Copper fungicide?

Or I also found a product called "Serenade", which is supposedly supposed to be good.

However, I'm just wondering if it is too late in the season to attempt to treat the problem now?

Here is a picture of an affected leaf, which was taken from another site...but this is exactly what mine looks like(in multiples obviously)...

v7n7f.jpg

I haven't talked to anyone around here that had any luck at all with tomatoes this year.

The weather has worn them out and many of them have burnt up or died from the blight like you are having.

Froggy said:
I thougt blight was due to exess moisture?

I haven't been able to find the exact cause of it, but here is a pretty good read I found regarding blight. There are actually three different diseases which are all very similar....early blight(pictured above), late blight, and "tomato leaf spot". Anyways, Here is the article I found....I also found several more just by doing a quick google for "tomato early blight"...

https://www.associatedcontent.com/article/286560/how_to_treat_tomato_blight.html?cat=32

no ncure for blight the best thing you bcan do is pull the plants that have it and burn them do not compost them blight could live in the ground for 3 years rotate you tomatoes each year if its only on a few leaves cut them off and hope for the best

Quackrstackr said:
I haven't talked to anyone around here that had any luck at all with tomatoes this year.

The weather has worn them out and many of them have burnt up or died from the blight like you are having.

The weather has really done a number on them down here. What the weather hasn't messed up, the squirrels have. Worst year we've EVER had with them.

bubba,
mine are almost eat up with this ,it has been very hot here hotest in 3 yrs .I say it has to do with the heat

I believe grampa is right about this. We've had a little here too. This year I planted my tomatoes so they aren't in rows next to each other but rather in one long row. That way air circulates around them and the excess moisture doesn't seem to become trapped and develop into fungi, fungus or whatever you call it and I believe the blight as well. Try cutting off the affected lower leaves and see if it works. Otherwise pull them and do rotate them each year.

Jim said:
my issue is splitting tomatoes. I try to water every day at the same time (7PM).

Any tips?
water in the morning this gives the plants time to dry out less chance of blight water deeper not more tomatoes need 1 gallon of water per week better to water at the base of the plant then the top you can give them more water then a gallon but make sure they get at least that plntss that weep or wiltin the heat of the day are in most cases fine but if ther wilted in the morning at first light they need water badly split tomatoes could mean you are over feeding them

The other thing about watering at the base is that it helps to prevent blossom-end rot. When you have to water a lot and water the whole plant instead of the base - as with a sprinkler - the water that runs off the fruit will collect at the bottom or blossom end of the tomato. When you have to water a lot this tends to keep the blossom end wet or damp and a black rot creeps up the tomato. I've seen this mostly with the Romas I grow as they have a pointy end where the water runs off and the rot can sometimes creep up and ruin the whole tomato.

Latest posts