STUDENTS CAN'T GET A D HERE, NO MATTER HOW LITTLE THEY TRY

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ihavenoideawhattoput

Reaction score
MOUNT OLIVE, N.J. -- Who wants to pay for "D"-quality plumbing? Fly the skies with a "D"-rated pilot? Settle for a "D" restaurant?

Exactly.

The way the Mount Olive school district sees it, its students should not be getting by with D's on their report cards, either. This fall, there will no longer be any D's, only A's, B's, C's and F's.

"D's are simply not useful in society," said Larrie Reynolds, the Mount Olive superintendent, who led the campaign against D's as a way to raise the bar and motivate students to work harder. "It's a throwaway grade. No one wants to hire a D-anything, so why would we have D-students and give them credit for it?"

More:
https://www.mercurynews.com/nation-world/ci_15707925?source=rss

There are no "D"s in Georgia.

The grade scale is a little friendly though -

From the artcle in the link:

...they will be given the option of attending an evening school, known as "Sunset Academy," that will charge a fee of $150 per class.

I'm wondering if they have provisions for those that cannot afford the $150 cost of the extended learning classes, but really need to attend?

I sort of disagree with the not giving a "D". I agree with not allowing them to advance with a grade below a "C" though. I liked knowing where I stood. If you get an "F", you know you're suckin'. If you get a "D", there is hope of bringing it up. This is of course only really true for semester and 9 week grades. Final grades not so much. Of course if they went to only a point scale, there would be no questions as to where you were. This is coming form a guy that got more than his fair share of D's in high school. If I got an "F", I pretty much resigned myself to the fact I wasn't gonna make it in that class. If I got a "D" I just tried a little harder. Of course once I decided to sit down and get down to it, I managed to bring my average up to make the Low Dean's List by my senior year.

Latest posts