Slight cold front and bass fishing ?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wasilvers

Reaction score
How do slight cold fronts affect bass fishing up north?

The weather here in Wisconsin has been HOT. In the 90's and only down to low 80's at night. It seems like it has been this way for the last month - basically the worst of summer. Just Saturday night it cooled off and now we have highs in the upper 70's and lows in the 60's. Also, the water is still about 5-6 inches high, but it was about 18 inches high last week when we had 14 inches of rain in 2 hours.

I'm taking my pastor fishing tonight and would like to actually put him on a fish or two. What is your best guess where the bass will be like this evening?

If the water is high, my guess is they are suspended, but there will always be fish on the bank.. especially if there is rock on it and a little deeper water nearby.

The cold front coming in should actually help you out, if it's been warm they have probably been a little deeper, but with the cooling off, they should be moving up shallower a little earlier in the day to feed.

Thanks for the help Russ.
We caught one nice smallmouth right away in 10 fow at the drop off by a creek mouth. Seems this cool front wasn't enough to get them too much shallower than that. We tried a few spots, but nothing. Most of our bites came in that 15-20 fow with weeds. At dusk we pulled a few in on topwaters.

There's a tourney that goes on each monday night, so we entered. We finished 4th against guys who fish this lake all the time. I'm pretty happy with that finish.

The guys who won were beating the bank for reaction bites, from what I saw they fished mostly the shorelines close to deep water.

Also, there were some expensive boats on the water tonight, but 3rd and 4th place were taken by tin boats :D

russ010 said:
The cold front coming in should actually help you out, if it's been warm they have probably been a little deeper, but with the cooling off, they should be moving up shallower a little earlier in the day to feed.

Exactly this. The fish around these parts have been sitting/suspending deep for a long period of time.. but it has gotten down to the low 70's the past couple nights, so things have picked up. I'm a big shoreline fisherman, and this time of year, I'm fishing 20-30-40 yards off shore (but still no more than 15 ft of water), if there are no docks. I find a lot of times the fish will start creeping up from the deeper waters towards the shoreline, but they're still a long way from the bank.

wasilvers said:
How do slight cold fronts affect bass fishing up north?

Is there any way to get further North then WI???? LOL

Here, a slight cold front is usually not good for LM Bass - however, crappie and smallies do not mind. When that happens I fish moving water and leave the lakes alone

Latest posts