Anyone else smoke a pipe?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pamountainman

Reaction score
I usually smoke it when the mosquitoes are bad on the lake, my grandfather smoked one, and I always loved the aroma of it when we went to their house. I was looking at a few online retailers to find a new one, I never knew they could fetch up to $5,000 :shock: .

Any thing people consider eccentric the price goes through the roof, Every one in there right mind use to smoke using a pipe. You would think pipes should be cheap as dirt. That old technology should be cheap in compairison to new I would think. Over the long run it would be cheaper I guess. I shave with a stright razor, I have used the same razor for 9 years and have never had to buy a new blade. It cost well over 100 chips but I magine I have saved much more by not having to replace the cartridges every week. I don't know how much tobacco is by pound verses by pre rolled carton but I would say its much less.

my grandpa does. he used to make them so he has a huge rack of them in his house... my favorite is actually 2 pipes. you turn one upside down, sit its big part on top of the other ones big part (where you put the tobacco), and they twist and lock together to make a duck sculpture! he also does pipe smoking competitions... well at least he did up to about a year ago.

I used to smoke one everyday in college, but I had to quit when I joined the Navy. I had two; one that looked like a frog, and another that looked like a mushroom.

Not me, but one of my buddies smokes a pipe while fly fishing and operating a trolling motor. I don't know how he does it.

BaitCaster said:
Not me, but one of my buddies smokes a pipe while fly fishing and operating a trolling motor. I don't know how he does it.
Skills take that sort of concerntation

nathanielrthomas said:
I used to smoke one everyday in college, but I had to quit when I joined the Navy. I had two; one that looked like a frog, and another that looked like a mushroom.

L O L :lol:

Excellent topic! =D> I've been wanting to post this one myself, but you've seem to have beat me to it.

I'll have to take some pictures of my pipes and upload them when I get a little more time, but we'll have fun with this one, pipe smoking is one of my favorite hobbies, next to fishing that is!

Meanwhile, what type of tobacco do you smoke? Aromatic, English, a blend? What brand perhaps? Also, what type of pipe(s) do you have: style/brand/etc.?

...if only I didn't have to work this afternoon #-o and could just take pictures of pipes and talk about them all day....ooooohhhh weeee!

In the meantime, I'll leave ya'll with one of my favorite pipe smoking quotes:

"Nowhere in the world will such a brotherly feeling of confidence be experienced as amongst those who sit together smoking their pipes." - The Results and Merits of Tobacco, 1844, Doctor Barnstein.

Same as you...only when the mosquitos are bad.
I do like the smell,I use my grandfathers old pipe.
As far as what type tobacco,whatever was cheapest,think it's export a.

I am a pipe smoker...gave up cigs and started smoking pipe (cheaper than cigs)...and better aroma / flavor.

My grandfather also smoked a pipe so I inherited all of his...nice pipes from a good smoke shop can get expensive. I have my eye on one that is about $20.00. I usually smoke small pipes when traveling and large pipe while outdoors. A nice small pipe that smokes well can be bought for about $5.00. I smoke "Captain Black" tobacco. The regular stuff in a white plastic pouch with black lettering (not the "Gold"")....

Pouch lasts for a week for about $8.00
Never bought the big can @ about $50.00

Outdoorsman.

I've smoked a pipe for a few years. I buy cheap bags of tobacco for about $17 and they will last me about a month. It always surprises me how many non smokers like the smell of pipe tobacco. They usually say it's a memory thing. Like some have already said, it does tend to keep the insects away when you're on the water, and they're good for keeping the feeling in your fingers when the temperature is low.
The corn cob pipes are fun to smoke but they don't tend to last very long. I have had the same briar pipe for about five years and it's still as good as new.

I'd love to get a nice pipe, but I get by with a $4.00 tobacco shop special :LOL2: . I've tried the cherry blend, but it seems to be a pain to keep lit, then I found apple flavor from the middleton co., and I love it, smooth,good aroma, and stays lit.

nathanielrthomas said:

Ha, I remember those days. Just the occasional stogie for me these days

I was afraid to click into this topic. Afraid of what I might find. :LOL2:

No butts, cigars or pipes for me. I quit butts when my son was born. I tried a cigar but I inhaled and almost coughed up my lungs....Thought I was going to die.

Love the smell of Pipes, just don't do it.

pamountainman -

Well, as promised, here some pics of my pipes and some info:

c1.jpg

This was my first pipe, sorry I don't have a better picture (had to search the files for this one), the stem broke and it's currently getting repaired. It's "freestanding" (sits/stands on it's own), machine made, sandblasted ("rough") briar from La Rocca, made in Italy. My friends call it "The Professor" as it's a classic professor's pipe and, well, at the time I got it I was working as a college professor...cliche, but fitting I presume. Good smoking, not the coolest smoking pipe, but cooler than some of my others. I actually received this as a wedding party gift from a close friend who was getting married. He's an avid pipe smoker who often travels to Europe. His gift to five of his closest 'bro' friends was a pipe which he picked to fit our individual personalities (ie., why I got the professor, why our ex-Marine friend got a bulldog, another friend a classic churchwarden, and our one 'questionable' but good longtime bud got a stubby nose warmer [long story, you're better off NOT knowing the details]), a leather, suede-linned, 2-pipe bag that has a sewn-in silicone storage area for tobacco, and our choice of one aromatic and one English tobacco. This pipe retails for about $100.

img_8174.jpg

My second pipe; a Britannia in the classic "bulldog" style, machine made in England, smooth briar. This is probably my 2nd favorite pipe, good smoking, again cool but not the coolest smoking pipe. This pipe retails for about $85.

img_8172.jpg

The third pipe I added to my collection; the long-lost twin Britannia to my smooth "bulldog"; this one is the same but with a darker sandblasted ("rough") finish. Again, machine made in England. This pipe smokes a little hotter than it's clean-shaven twin. I only use it for English tobaccos (more on that later). This pipe retails for about $65 (less than it's smooth twin; you'll find that briar with more defined grain (potentially more visually appealing) become smooth, and chunks of briar that have less grain definition or have more imperfections become sandblasted). Rough or sandblasted pipes are usually cheaper than their identical siblings.

img_8165.jpg

img_8166.jpg

These two corncobs are my "junk pipes". Don't get me wrong, they serve their purpose and I enjoy them in my rotation, but they are pretty much disposable. The one with the green band; yep, that's colored electrical tape. After a while the stem gets loose and tends to fall off, an easy fix with some tape. I smoke these until they break, burn through, or whatever. At $7 each at the local drug store, they're nothing more than extra pipes to try out new tobaccos, have a quick smoke from, or whatever. These particular ones are made by Missouri Meerschaum (located in Washington, MO).

img_8170.jpg

...And the best for last...THIS is my #1 pipe! Period! It's a freestanding, HANDMADE, Tim West pipe, smooth briar with a plateau top (notice the top of the pipe is left rough, although the pipe itself is smooth). The pipe retails for $325, you can find it online for about $285, I picked it up when our local pipe shop was closing, on the last day they were open, for $68.37 OTD, after about an hour and a half of haggling/debate/and a few bowls of tobacco with the shop manager. My best friend came up with the perfect name for it; The Judge. I don't name all my pipes, but after a while they do get their rightfully deserved titles. He named it as such for the obvious gavel resemblance, but more-so because this is a pipe for times of great debate when a philosophical decision has to be made. It's earned this title many times over.

I will tell you this; it puts all my pipes to shame. It smokes so cool it's like it's not even lit (although you can tell it is from the voluminous thunderclouds bellowing out of your mouth). It's smokes so smoothly it makes all my other briars look like $7 corncobs, and it never goes out while you're smoking it. If you set it down for 15 min, you may have to puff it for a little bit to get it back, but no need for matches or a lighter. It smokes more evenly than my other pipes (a lot of how even a bowl burns is due to how you pack it, but the design has great influence as well), and remaining ash is literally dust, not chunks of unburned or half-burned tobacco. To give you an idea of the difference, smoking the same tobacco out of each of these pipes tastes totally different and has a totally different "mouth feel" how the tobacco enters and circulates in your mouth. It was my first handmade pipe, and I'll tell you that my next purchase will be handmade as well...there's a HECK OF A DIFFERENCE, and it's worth every penny of that difference!

______

So, now that you've seen my lineup, I ask what you're after and where you'd like to go? If you want to get started with pipe smoking I recommend beginning with something more than a cobb, but less than a handmade briar. A good machine made briar (I'd guess as low as $40, but more likely between $60-80) will afford you a good smoke, a quality pipe, and time to learn all the [strike]tricks and secrets[/strike] skills of pipe smoking. There's so much that goes into how to properly load a bowl, how you draw on the pipe, how you clean it, how you properly let the pipe cool before you smoke another bowl in the same pipe, etc. that it's best to learn on things that are more like good 'ol Ford trucks, rather than Fiats or Ferraris. If your Fiat breaks all the time, it's no fun to drive, if you drive your Ferrari every day, it's going to hurt when you get it scratched or when you break it, but that good 'ol Ford, heck, it'll run forever.

Anyway, if you, or if any fellow TBers here would like to chat about anything pipe-related, let's have at it, this is my favorite hobby, second only to fishing.

Good luck and I'm off to have a bowl before I begin my next task. Here's another pipe smoking quote that I truly love:

"There can be no doubt that smoking nowadays is largely a miserable automatic business. People use tobacco without ever taking an intelligent interest in it. They do not experiment, compare, fit the tobacco to the occasion. A man should always be pleasantly conscious of the fact that he is smoking." -John Boynton Priestley

azekologi said:
I'm off to have a bowl before I begin my next task

If I only had a nickel......

:LOL2: all kidding aside, I read your complete post and I find arts like this to be truly amazing. Like you with the art of pipe smoking, I often catch myself speaking so passionately about the art of bass fishing to someone who has no clue what Im talking about. Nonetheless, you have to respect the love and passion for the hobby. Who knows, I might just pick up a pipe one day, or I could just make a post about Copenhagen. :LOL2: Thanks for the info, I thouroughly enjoyed it.

Latest posts