National Eagle Center

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bobberboy

TinBoats Supporter
Reaction score
I spent the day at the National Eagle Center (NEC) in Wabasha, MN, about an hour south of where I live. Wabasha is a small river town on the Mississippi has become a center for study and research of eagles. We have a lot of eagles because of the Mississippi flyway, bald eagles nesting in the summer and golden eagles wintering here from there ranges in way north Canada. At the University of Minnesota, St. Paul campus we also have the U of M Raptor Center. Lots of injured raptors end up at the U of M to be treated for all kinds of accidents, etc and some of them that can't be put back in nature after they've healed will go to the NEC. The two institutions are separate but cooperate. Wabasha is a nice little river town that couldn't afford to tear down all it's buildings during the 60's and 70's urban renewal craze and retains much of its character from the late 19th and 20th centuries. It was a fun day. Got to see five eagles really close up and spent a couple of hours in the interpretative center. If anyone's interested, here's their site address https://www.nationaleaglecenter.net/ and the U of M Raptor Center https://www.cvm.umn.edu/raptor/

Jim, come to KY Lake and catch all of the things that you can and carry them back home with you.

They make it hell on duck hunting and we have more than our fare share of them to contend with. :lol:

Quackrstackr said:
Jim, come to KY Lake and catch all of the things that you can and carry them back home with you.

They make it hell on duck hunting and we have more than our fare share of them to contend with. :lol:

Over here they are so far and few between. Once you do see one it literally stops traffic and whatever else you are doing....no joke. People make a day around going to see a glimpse of a nesting pair.

Eagles are awesome. There are three bald eagles at the one lake by my house. I see one every time I go there, the size of them is just incredible. Up until this past year, I saw one on the 4th of july for 4 years in a row, it was pretty cool.

We've got bald eagles living around Jordan lake here. I've seen them a few times, below the main dam. Pretty awesome. I think they're making a comeback, as well as the red-tail hawks we have. Not only two weeks ago, I turned off the main drag in Sanford, onto the side road by the courthouse. Out of the corner of my eye, a hawk came down, probably less than 10 feet from the road. He caught a city squirrel, and just looked at me as he killed the squirrel. Yes I stopped, and watched him. I can only guess he was moving through. I cant imagine them setting up shop downtown by the courthouse. It was pretty cool to see in town.

We have a huge population of hawks of all sorts along with a large population of osprey and the occasional peregrine.

Birds of prey is one thing that we have no shortage of... much to the dismay of the small game around here.

I lived on one of the Aluetian Islands in the middle of the Bearing Sea Alaska a long time ago. Bald Eagles were everywhere. Take the trash out and there would be 50 of them watching you. I have pics somewhere, unfortunately no way of scannign them, I dont think.

I also have a few relatives living in Eagle River, WI. You could say there are a few Eagles in the area. Couple pairs nest on mom's lake.

They are magnificent birds of prey, and they are scavengers, they will eat any meal that presents itself.

I don't have the camera for these type of pictures, but this nest is two miles from my house in Southeast MN.

30491_433000950464_630310464_5656730_5242773_n.jpg

Saw 2 bald eagles this past Saturday at a local lake. Magnificent! Am told that eagles winter here in Arkansas so was surprised to see them this early. These 2 may be year round residents.

There must be a few eagles around the barracks my guys are in on base, cause i've seen it(or them) a couple times. the last time i was on duty and all of the sudden i look over and wings spread wide, talons out in front just clobbers this pigeon. pounds it to the ground and just starts pecking at it's face. That is one of the coolest/awesomeist/BA things i've EVER seen. It made me respect 'em that much more

Latest posts