losing a pet sux

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Popeye

Reaction score
It sux to lose a pet

Last week my daughter’s cat was vomiting white frothy stuff and we took her to the vet Monday morning. X-rays and blood work indicated a large (tennis ball sized) mass behind her stomach. We decided to try and save her with surgery – cost be damned. The vet said the mass was blood and fluid filled and had decaying tissue in it with no idea as to why or how it formed. After the surgery, she stayed in the hospital until Thursday and when we brought her home they said we would have to force feed her a gruel with a syringe 4 times a day. After a few days she seemed much more alert but still wouldn’t eat on her own. Sunday morning we fed her and decided to skip the noon force feeding and put down a plate of wet cat food to see if she would even try to eat. Evening came and she hadn’t eaten or drank anything so we went to the syringe. We noticed she seemed bloated even though she had not eaten or drunk anything. We called the vet who said to take her to the animal ER. They drew some fluid from her abdomen and did an ultrasound. The fluid was septic and the ultrasound showed fluid around the heart. That coupled with her advanced age (16 years old) made us consider putting her down. After talking with her vet and the ER doctor, the decision was made.

I buried her in the backyard last night, right where she liked to sit out in the sun.

Since my daughter moved to Texas, the cat had adopted me and had taken to curling up next to me at night in bed as well as laying on the recliner with me while watching TV.

It just sux.

Sorry to hear about your loss.

I came close to losing my cat last year, she got mastitis after having 2 kittens, she is small, about 3-4 pounds, and lost a fist sized portion of her stomach(breast tissue). I called the vet at 2 am, and she told me to get there asap(25 miles), when I got there, she was unconsious with a high fever, and the vet said it didn't look good. I took that Friday off, and spent all day/night making sure the void was clean and she stayed hydrated, 2 days later, she started coming around.

Now she walks me to the door when I leave for work, and my wife says she goes to the window an hour before I get home. Some people can't understand what a pet can mean to somebody, I think as highly of my 2 cats as I do my son.

I understand completely we had a 5 year old Cat die on the operating table for a routine urinary tract surgery, sent the animal to UGA to have him autopsied. They aren't sure what happened to him.

I was upset for several days.

Sorry to hear about your loss...

We lost our cat Sarge this spring... We are guessing he ate a mouse or rat that was poisoned. He got sick REALLY fast, and on a Friday night, as my wife and I were busy remodeling the room that would be the nursery for our soon-to-be daughter, he got really sick and started making these horrible sounds and couldn't move anymore.

I told the wife to go say goodbye and go to bed and I did what I had to do... I am not ashamed to admit that I cried my eyes out like a sissy girl as I released him from this world: it was hands down one of the hardest things I ever had to do. He was an awesome cat, and really was our first pet we had together. While I am happy to no longer have a cat in the house, I still miss him a ton.

It's funny how something like that can affect you. I am an avid hunter with a great deal of respect for the process of life and death, and I never thought something like that would be so difficult emotionally... I always thought "he's just a freaking cat", but in the end, I came to realize that he was indeed a little bit more than that to us. Those little animals sure have a way of sneaking their way into our hearts and families...

I am sorry for your loss...know that your cat is no longer suffering...

My other favorite website (www.lake-link.com) has a forum topic dedicated to this very subjest...it is called "One Less Dog In Our House Tonight". I covers all pets... to read some of the posts there has literally put a lump in my throat and tears in my eyes as I have a Black Lab that is going on 16 with bad hips...moves slow, eating less, takes a while to lay down and get back up. I know his time is coming but as long as is is mobile, eating, and wags his tail when I get home from work, he is not going anywhere....

Outdoorsman.

Sorry to hear that Popeye. We had to put our golden/border collie mix down last October(cancer). Hardest thing Ive ever had to do. It takes a long while to get over it but you will.

RIP Grady J

Its pretty odd how they can quickly become part of everyday life and creep into our hearts. I wept at the vets office and I think it took her aback being I am pretty big guy etc..

Sorry to hear about your loss. I can not imagine how it will be when one of our pets die. 2 of my kids have grow very attached to each of our cats. And the family dog....forget about it. I am not looking forward to the day that I may have to tell them about the passing of a pet.

Sorry to hear about your loss Popeye. I had a similar experience with my registered Blue Chow several years ago. My wife (who was my girlfriend at the time) and I bought him as a 6 week old puppy. I raised him like a little kid, giving him baths daily and feeding him, sometimes out of my hand and rock him to sleep. He grew to be a great dog, honestly the best dog I have ever owned or seen for that matter as he listened and minded better than most folks children do (mine included). It was around the age of 4 we noticed a growth on his tongue which seemed to get larger as time went own. We took him to the vet who said they could take it off but it might come back. So we decided to let them. They ran some tests and confirmed that it was cancer. Within 6 months the growth was back and our two options were to have his tongue removed or to have him put down. Deciding ourselves that a life without a tongue would not be a good way to live, we chose the second option. It was a very sad time for us but we were eventually able to move on.

Latest posts