Changing Shocks On Truck

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gregk9

Reaction score
Lately I'm hearing you should change your shocks every 50K. Anyone do this or is this BS? I got 160K on my originals. Wondering if I should put on new ones????

I'll call BS. My jimmy still has the original rear shocks, and I just hit 297,000 this week. I had to replace the front ones because the dirt roads managed to put a crack in one. I don't change them until they go bad.. If it ain't broke, don't even look at them funny.

People who are looking to make a buck off of a product will try to group their stuff in with other routine/preventative maintenance checks, but I don't see shocks falling in that category.

Exactly.. change them only when needed... but make sure you test them out to see when you need them.

Bounce the vehicle from the bumpers by placing your weight on it and suddenly release (like jump off or just push down one good time). If it rebounds and bounces over a couple of times and does not settle out quickly, you should probably look into replacing the shocks. That's not an exact test but it gives you a pretty good idea of the state of your shocks.

Some go at 30k, some at 50k and some don't ever seem to go.

Quackrstackr said:
Exactly.. change them only when needed... but make sure you test them out to see when you need them.

Bounce the vehicle from the bumpers by placing your weight on it and suddenly release (like jump off or just push down one good time). If it rebounds and bounces over a couple of times and settle out quickly, you should probably look into replacing the shocks. That's not an exact test but it gives you a pretty good idea of the state of your shocks.

Some go at 30k, some at 50k and some don't ever seem to go.

Agreed, this is the test I've always done and hasn't lead me astray at this point. Manufactures and 3rd parties are just looking for a dollar, even when it is time to replace, they aren't to hard to do yourself. Call a buddy, get a 12 pack, and you'll be set.

When you change your shocks is up to you, however realize shocks play a role in tire longevity, ball joint longevity, tie-rods, braking, etc. Basically your suspension works as a unit, if one aspect is weak or failing the others will suffer. IF you let them go, you could be looking at replacing all the other parts as well. Including new tires.

Worn shocks also play a huge role in your vehicles ability to stop safely. It will take your vehicle longer to stop with worn shocks compared to new shocks.

Yes, there is a reason for the recommendation... And NO it's not to drum up business. They could care less if you replace your shocks, there isn't much money to be made in replacing them.

Hanr3 said:
When you change your shocks is up to you, however realize shocks play a role in tire longevity, ball joint longevity, tie-rods, braking, etc. Basically your suspension works as a unit, if one aspect is weak or failing the others will suffer. IF you let them go, you could be looking at replacing all the other parts as well. Including new tires.

Makes sense. I'm getting new tires next week. Only have 44k on these. Typically I get over 60k.

gregk9 said:
Makes sense. I'm getting new tires next week. Only have 44k on these. Typically I get over 60k.

Get the front end alignment when you replace your tires. That will help get more mileage from your tires. If they find any loose or worn parts they can not get the alignment right and then you can have them replace the parts now.

KMixson said:
gregk9 said:

Get the front end alignment when you replace your tires. That will help get more mileage from your tires. If they find any loose or worn parts they can not get the alignment right and then you can have them replace the parts now.

That is true but some tire compounds and tread patterns just wear faster than others, too.

gregk9 said:
Quackrstackr said:
That is true but some tire compounds and tread patterns just wear faster than others, too.

Both sets were the same make/model.

Unfortunately, that doesn't necessarily mean that they were identical in construction.