Anyone else heat with wood?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pamountainman

Reaction score
I've been cutting,splitting, and stacking wood for 5 hours a day for the last 2 1/2 weeks, I'm about over it. My cutting permit runs out at the end of the month, and it was too hot to do much over the summer, so I'm cramming it in now. I really need a logsplitter, the old maul gets heavier every day. I complain now, but I'm happy knowing my gas bill won't be $375 a month this year.

I do - but have a good friend who has a tree cutting business - so the most I have to do is stack the wood as they deliver

I do!

My wood comes in the form of wood scraps from my fathers and his buddies shops. Oak, mahogany, cherry. Keeps the house at 80 when it is Zero outside. We have an insert and it is super efficient. Gas Bill....under $100 during the winter months.

We use wood also. I hate it! Stacking all of the wood over the summer/fall, the dry heat dries out my sinus' ... It sucks, however the electric bill over the winter is almost nil, leaving more for toys LOL

We do. Back when we lived out in the country, we had enough acreage that just the easily accessible dead fall would be more than enough for a winter. Now, in the city, we have a 1.5 acre heavily wooded lot, and the dead fall gives us a pretty good bit. Plus, a couple years back, we had to have 4 good size oaks taken down (drought really hurt us), and our neighbor had around 8, so that has given us a pretty reasonable amount, seeing as our winters are milder.

I generally do all the cutting and splitting in the winter, and not use that wood until at least the next winter. Past few years, we've had enough stacked that what I split each winter won't get used for another 3 winters. Just too hot to do anything in the summer, and I really don't like finding a copperhead or rattler in the woodpile when I'm stacking.

For about 4 years, when I was younger (and this wasn't all that long ago), we heated exclusively with a wood burning stove.

We do...buy it in long lengths about 5.5 cord a year.
Block it(chainsaw) and split with an axe.My father,at 73 still does the same,his axe(maul)weighs 24lbs.!I don't like it mines an 8lber.
Blocked,split,pilled takes about a week.

What kind of saws are you running?

My primary saw is a Husqvarna 55 with a 20" bar. My backup/limbing saw is a Husqvarna 240e with a 16" bar.

I have a wood burner and only use it to warm the basement, although it will warm the whole house when the power goes out.

Heres my main 3. Echo 330t(open can), Husky 272 xp (with a 85cc big bore kit,mild porting, and a opened can) and a stihl 084 av(recently rebuilt with new piston and jug, ported, opened can, non-limited coil, And caps removed from the carb). Also have a husky 262xp and flattened 372xpwc, ProMac pm700 and pm850, Stihl 440 and 038. Also have a WildThing the neighbor gave me :LOL2: . As for bars the 330 sports a 14", 272xp spports 18" & 24", the 084 runs a 30" or 59incher. the others run anything from 16" to 28".

Attachments

• Picture 274 (Medium).jpg
    Picture 274 (Medium).jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 551
We heat with wood. Love the nice warm feeling and the chill in the air in the AM, Have saved a ton of money over the years. We had a new heating and air unit installed last year so we will try it out for a little while this year. All electric so probubly wont last long. Once we get the first bill, I am sure the stove will get fired up again.

this will be my fist winter w/out a wood stove.

fixing to fill the tank up in a week or so, aint lookin forward to that bill..... splittn wood all summer by hand sure does sound alot better now knowing im going to have to dish out 500 bucks and hope it lasts all winter

Pruitt1222 said:
Heres my main 3. Echo 330t(open can)

I need to get me a nice lil' trimmer like that. =P~

Loggerhead Mike said:
this will be my fist winter w/out a wood stove.

fixing to fill the tank up in a week or so, aint lookin forward to that bill..... splittn wood all summer by hand sure does sound alot better now knowing im going to have to dish out 500 bucks and hope it lasts all winter

This will be our 3rd year on the same tank of propane... :mrgreen: We paid $942.13 for our last tank, and was why we switched to wood. We would previously use 3 tanks a winter. :shock: The only thing we use propane for is to cook and our boiler system as a back-up.<--- has not been turned on in 2 years.

Our main heat comes from our pellet stove during the weekdays, and our woodstove from friday to sunday. With this method we burn about 2 cord a year, and spend about $600.00 a year on pellets. (need to make my pellet order this weekend #-o ).

I have always wondered about pellet stoves and furnaces. We looked at a add on pellet furnace when we upgraded to our energyking unit, Sounded nice only having to feed it once a week. I do a bit of tree work on the side and have several buddys in the tree biz, Only made sense to go wood. How does that pellet stove do in comparsion to the wood burner Perchin? I don't know about the rest of you wood guys but I always get a kick when somebody asks "do you really save much money". I always laugh and tell them my gas bill is higher in the summer then the winter, They never believe me till I break the bills out. Perchin I like that little 330 but wish I held out for a stihl 200t, At the time I couldn't see paying 500 bucks for such a small saw but now I get it.

Pruitt1222 said:
I have always wondered about pellet stoves and furnaces. We looked at a add on pellet furnace when we upgraded to our energyking unit, Sounded nice only having to feed it once a week.

Its nice... feed it once a week and clean it once every 2 weeks...simple to maintain. 8)

Pruitt1222 said:
How does that pellet stove do in comparsion to the wood burner Perchin? I don't know about the rest of you wood guys but I always get a kick when somebody asks "do you really save much money". I always laugh and tell them my gas bill is higher in the summer then the winter, They never believe me till I break the bills out. Perchin I like that little 330 but wish I held out for a stihl 200t, At the time I couldn't see paying 500 bucks for such a small saw but now I get it.

Compared to a woodstove....hmmm, well Its better in the sense that you only have minimal maintanance as mentioned above, but... you still have to buy the pellets. As far as the quality of heat, I would say they are the same. We chose the Pellet stove because At the time I worked out of town for sometimes a couple months at a time, and it was easy for the wife to use, and didn't mean my only home time was spent cutting wood. I usually pre-pay for my pellets at $180 to $200 per ton for the premium stuff. We used 3 ton last year burning monday to friday morning, then running the wood burner through sunday night.

Latest posts