Sidescan - found my first sunken boat today (large picture)

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wasilvers

Reaction score
I was on the lake today and looking for good fishing water when I came across this. I'm pretty sure it's a boat, probably a sailboat. There is something extending straight out from near the middle. The order of view is from the bottom to the top, I just kept driving by trying to get a good view.

2010-09-04-sunkboat-maybe.jpg

It was about 20 feet deep. Here is a link to all the major views of the downscan, downscan in color and normal 2d sonar. Had to link to it because it was too big to include in the post. The pictures are 2-3x more clear on my screen, but the jpeg compression loses a lot of the detail. :(

https://www.silversstars.com/forumposts/2010-09-04-sunkboat-downscan.jpg.jpeg

Is it time for a salvage party?!?!

That's really neat. I couldn't imagine having one of those on my boat (guess it's 'cause I fish shallow stuff). At that depth i'd almost be tempted to free dive it, ride a spare anchor down with a good maglight, then pop back up. What's the visibility on that water? The only bad is the water pressure is going to want to keep you down there. I guess the trick would be to grapple it with a knotted line.

It'd be hard to determine the value vs. effort to salvage it. If it was nearly new and worth something then a pair of lift bags through the bow eye would pick it up enough to get it to shallower water where you could rerig it or just beach it if it's small enough.

Jamie

Fender - its the Humminbird 798 I bought from this guy. Cheapest price and fast shipping. I like it A Lot!
https://www.bbgmarine.com/product_info_new.php?products_id=4405 Humminbird 798

Zum - I didn't try to fish it yet. I was more interested in finding docks with brush underneath them at the time, but now I have this marked so I can return to it later.

lck.... - I did the measurement tool and it came out to about 20 feet long.

I think next time I'm on the lake, I'll adjust the contrast to get a really clear picture of it. Right now I had the contrast up on the machine to help see fish. You can get some nice pictures with contrast set to 'off'.

BTW, I found a number of docks with brush around them. Also found one set of weeds in a mostly barren area. Wouldn't have noticed them there without the sidefinder. I motored over there and shad were everywhere! I'd definitly be back to my 'hotspots' next week for a tourney!

Believe it or not, my buddy found a 798 laying in the middle of the road when on his way to a dove shoot yesterday. :shock:

Quackrstackr said:
Believe it or not, my buddy found a 798 laying in the middle of the road when on his way to a dove shoot yesterday. :shock:

WOW! :shock: That's why I take mine off at the boat ramp and put it right in the car.

The bottom structure looks a little like the South end of Upper Nemahbin Lake. Could be Lower Nemahbin, but it would have to be the North end of it, but I think it's Upper.

Latest posts