Lilly Pads

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BYOB Fishing

Reaction score
I cruised up to an area on my local lake I've not really fished before...it's where the river comes into the main lake, and it's really shallow, with a soft bottom. I noticed from a mile away that the area has been overtaken by lilly pads. I wasn't really set up to fish them; I don't really have anything other than some soft plastic white frogs. I tied that on and fished them for an hour with no bites. I didn't even see any activity in the area at all. I checked on Google Maps later, and there were no pads in the area when the photo was taken. Will it take time for fish to find them? What would I use to explore the area further? Any help you can give would be great!

Matt

Yep, they are probably there. I think the bite in the morning right now is better though. Primarily because the forage will be there early. Not to say you can't catch them there all day, but I'd only stick it out for an hour without a bite before trying something different. If the pads happen to be there next spring (assuming you can fish during the spawn) I'd definitely try it again. I think like anywhere on the lake, you have to try to pattern the pads. If you do get bit, try to find out as much as you can about the area. It's not uncommon for the fish to be at a specific depth in the pads. The bottom is also important. It may have a muck bottom in one area that won't hold fish, and as soon as you find a hard bottom, there the fish are. It might be that the fish hold where grass and pads grow together. Like said, if you do catch one, try to learn what was unique about that specific spot. If the frog won't get bit, try a jig, beaver, or creature bait, and flip it into voids. If it doesn't get bit on the fall (reaction strike), I'd jig it a couple times, then pitch to a different spot, with the goal being hit as many spots as you can until you've caught one. Look for anything different about the pads, and pitch to it. A hole, a break, a clump etc... I think it's also worth fishing the edge with a worm, crankbait, spinnerbait etc.... If you're going to fish below the pads, I'd spool up some 30, 50, or even 80# braid. The frog should catch just fine with it as well. No use even trying with a whimpy mono. At least not in the pads that I like to fish.

Take some pics next time out. I like seeing those pads on the water!

Surprised you saw no activity with the frog on the pads. Is it open enough to throw a buzzbait around the edges? How about dropping a jig and pig right through the openings......

Snag a picture if you can.

Latest posts