Rain Gear

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fender66

Reaction score
Hey guys...

As many of you know, you can read for days on most topics of interest, but if you want REAL truthful feedback or input....post your question on TinBoats!

I am going to buy some decent rain gear for the boat. What do you have, do you like it, and if not, what would you recommend? I've been looking at Frogg Toggs, but don't know if it's worth the money.

I gave the Frogg Toggs a try and it didn't last long for me, it would tear rather easy. I'm now using a set of the Gore-Tex stuff. I hate rain gear, the stuff from Cabelas always fells like the rain is getting through and my clothing is damp, when I take it off my clothing is dry. I have an old set of Stearns PVC stuff that I like the best as far as staying and feeling dry, however it's so hot that I'm soaked with sweat when I remove it.

I guess the Gore-Tex stuff is the best overall, it is by far the most comfortable to wear. I like that it has elastic around the wrist and feet to keep the rain out. It's also quiet and camouflage so it gets used for early season bow hunting.

I have all manor of rain gear, including Frogg Togg & Goretex, and all of it works as advertised.

There are different Frogg Togg fabrics and some of it does seem to rip easier than others. The stuff I have, I have had no problems with.

devilmutt said:
I gave the Frogg Toggs a try and it didn't last long for me, it would tear rather easy.

I use them and yes, they rip a bit. I split the seam in one last time out. I do like them for being lightweight and rainproof. I've used them a lot in the rain and they are pretty nice - I don't usually feel sticky in them which is a plus.

I sometimes use the cheap ponchos, but usually for hunting. They are camo and protect the bow as well. If it's raining too hard, the deer aren't really moving, but when it stops, I can slip the poncho off and am ready to go.

Cabela's Guidewear... expensive, but it is the best stuff I have ever used (aside from my military issued Gore-Tex). I did a lot of researching and online reviews and even fishing guides opinions... all referred back to the Cabelas

I have the frog toggs with the reflective strips, not sure the difference but I have used the heck out of them, rode my scooter in the rain, photographed Rally cars in the woods in the rain, used them in the boat. Never an issue, love them. I have literally beat the crap out of them. I use them all the time, keep them in the Jeep in case I get caught in the rain, use them as wind breakers in the Jeep on cold mornings. They have not failed me. Even left them laying on the fence for a week when I forgot about them while letting them dry off. They got a little soft on one side but still do not leak.
I did not pay this much but this is what they are

https://www.froggtoggs.com/#outerwear/motorcycle/

russ010 said:
Cabela's Guidewear... expensive, but it is the best stuff I have ever used (aside from my military issued Gore-Tex). I did a lot of researching and online reviews and even fishing guides opinions... all referred back to the Cabelas

I also need some good rain gear and the several times that I've come close to pulling the trigger, usually after getting soaking wet, I always wind up back at the Cabela's Guidewear. Like Russ said, kind of expensive, but I think they'd last a long time. When I finally do buy a set, this will be it.

Go to a BPS and get some columbia gear. Bass Pro sells columbia stuff way under the sticker price you'd pay anywhere else, and its real quality stuff. I got a pair of 35 buck rain pants this year that are unbeatable. Breathable, durable, and can sustain a huge wave over the bow :roll:

ihavenoideawhattoput said:
I have the frog toggs with the reflective strips, not sure the difference but I have used the heck out of them, rode my scooter in the rain, photographed Rally cars in the woods in the rain, used them in the boat. Never an issue, love them. I have literally beat the crap out of them. I use them all the time, keep them in the Jeep in case I get caught in the rain, use them as wind breakers in the Jeep on cold mornings. They have not failed me. Even left them laying on the fence for a week when I forgot about them while letting them dry off. They got a little soft on one side but still do not leak.
I did not pay this much but this is what they are

https://www.froggtoggs.com/#outerwear/motorcycle/

https://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/...-03A7-DF11-904F-002219319097&mr:referralID=NA

Here it is.

I was looking at other brands that where higher priced and may have been better quality but I didn't really want to cry after something happened to them.

I have a set of Stearns coat and bibs($100) that I bought at a Wal-Mart in Murray,KY in '05. Have been through some monster rains and stayed dry.Only drawback is that they are a bit WARM. I usually use them in Fall,Winter and Spring. I have a lightwieght suit($85) that I wear in the summer that I got through the NAFC.That suit has also been through some heavy rains and kept me dry.

I have the bass pro gortex I didnt get the 100mph stuff I paid 139 for the bibs which is the only way to go
the pants would always tend to fall down and i would wind up with a wet a$$ the jacket was 129 and is water tight yet not too heavy
frog toggs are nice but they do tend to rip unless you get the high end stuff

I am a fan of the frogg toggs. I was not a believer in any of that stuff. Not only is it waterproof, it is windproof. I do agree it tears easy if your rough with it, but for $30 on sale you cant beat it.

Winter before last I bought my first decent rain jacket for fall/winter/early spring. I ended up scoring a $100 jacket for like 60 bucks out of the bargain cove. It was a Cabela's "Dry-Plus" MicroDown Jacket. I've wore it quite abit during cold and/or wet weather and have yet to get wet and its also really comfortable. From what I understood before I bought it(put in alot of time in researching best bang for my buck) and Cabela's "Dry-Plus" is just their version of Gore-Tex....made basically exactly the same...the dry-plus is just cheaper. Here is the link to the jacket....(they still have a few left in medium if you could pull that off)...their actually marked down to 49.88 now.

https://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/.../en/common/search/search-box.jsp.form1&Go.x=0

I also have a fairly cheap set of BPS brand breathable nylon type material which I bought from Bass Pro which I wear during the warmer months. They've worked nicely too for the money. (about 30 bucks per piece).

S&MFISH said:
I have a set of Stearns coat and bibs($100) that I bought at a Wal-Mart in Murray,KY in '05. Have been through some monster rains and stayed dry.Only drawback is that they are a bit WARM. I usually use them in Fall,Winter and Spring. I have a lightwieght suit($85) that I wear in the summer that I got through the NAFC.That suit has also been through some heavy rains and kept me dry.

I'm the same way. I have a coat and bibs that I like to use for colder weather, and it doubles as cold weather gear, but I also have a cheaper lighter set from wal-mart that I use as summer gear. One thing I would recommend is the bibs over the pants. If you're bending, sitting, stretching, doing jumping jacks, whatever the bibs will do a better job of keeping the plumbers crack dry.

If its cold and raining too hard, Im not going fishing. Too many other days when the weather doesnt suck to go fishing. Ill use those really crappy days to hang around the campsite. Besides, if its truely a crappy day, the waves will be too big, plus tin boats and lightening dont mix. :mrgreen:

If its warm, poncho, shorts, water shoes (glorified flip flops), and a wide brimmed hat. I dont really care if I get wet, ill dry and I dont melt. The only thing I want to keep dry is my glasses, and I hate water running off the back of my hat down the back of my neck. Spent way too much time soaked to the bone to worry about a little water.

As for materials, synthetic materials dry realtiviely quick, fleece stays warm even when wet, (not wind proof though), wool on the other hand does keep you warm, even when saturated, cotton is great on really hot days, however in average to cool days it will suck too much body heat and subject you to hyperthemia. I have found the key to staying comfortable when soaking wet is to stay warm. Once you get cold and wet, hypothermia is a major concern, and the pleasure factor drops exponentially with your discomfort level.

One thing I have learned, everyone has a different level of tolerance to being wet. The lower your tolerance the more money your willing to spend on gear that wont work in a real rain storm no matter how much you pay for it. Short of a divers suit that is. You'll never keep water out of the sleeve when your constantly raising your arm up to cast or set the hook, water runs down hill, and as soon as you lift your arm, downhill is into the sleeve. Hold it up long enough and the water will reach your arm pit. Beleive it or not, water is the most corrosive substance on earth, you only need to look at the Gand Canyon for proof. There isnt a manmade sustance available that will stop water from penetrating eventually. So why fight it. Learn to live with it.

Dry = Warm(er) to me. I can handle wet in warm situations. I can't handle anything in the cold. If rain gear will lengthen and improve conditions for a longer fishing season....Count ME In!

fender66 said:
Dry = Warm(er) to me. I can handle wet in warm situations. I can't handle anything in the cold. If rain gear will lengthen and improve conditions for a longer fishing season....Count ME In!

Have you thought about a Bimini Top?

I have....but that would be more expensive. I'd probably use that more for shelter from the sun too. Maybe in the future.

Latest posts